+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Senior Staff Achievements:
    Three FriendsYour first GroupCreated Album picturesOverdriveRecommendation Second Class
    SunflowerP is a splendid one to behold SunflowerP is a splendid one to behold SunflowerP is a splendid one to behold SunflowerP is a splendid one to behold SunflowerP is a splendid one to behold SunflowerP is a splendid one to behold SunflowerP is a splendid one to behold SunflowerP's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:17 PM
    Country
    Canada
    Religion
    Religious Witchcraft
    Pronouns
    sie/hir/hirs

Re: Hang ups about Hoodoo

Quote Originally Posted by Hummingbird View Post
    The time difference was under two minutes.
    *** MOD HAT ON ***
    Hummingbird,

According to the timestamps our forum software includes automatically, it was nine minutes. Our editing-time limits aren't based on how long it took to do the edit, but on the time difference between when the post was first made, and when the edit was completed - or to put it a little differently, the editing-time 'clock' starts running when you first hit 'submit post', not when you click 'edit post'.

Additionally - and the reason this is in a red 'warning' box - it is against our rules to dispute moderation calls publicly: 'DO NOT argue with, comment on, complain about, criticize, or otherwise discuss staff decisions on rules issues in public in Cauldron community areas. If you think a decision that directly affects you is incorrect, you may make an appeal in private in accordance with our Moderation Appeal Guidelines.'

Or in this case, since what Morag issued you was a reminder, not a warning, it's not a recorded rules violation and there's nothing to appeal - but instructions on how to go about asking questions about it are in the final paragraph of their reminder: 'This isn't a formal warning, just a reminder. No reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification, please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.'

This is a warning, but because the initial issue might have stemmed from a misunderstanding about how editing-time limits work, I'm not issuing you a strike. No reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification, please feel free to contact a member of staff privately. Do not attempt to dispute or otherwise discuss it in this thread.

Sunflower
    TC Forum Staff
    Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    I do so have a life. I just live part of it online.
    “Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
    to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
    "Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
    My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ

Apprentice Achievements:
    3 months registeredTagger Second Class500 Experience Points
    Blu3Wanderer is on a distinguished road Blu3Wanderer's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:08 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Secular Witchcraft
    Pronouns
    She/Her

Quote Originally Posted by troll maiden View Post
    I'm interested in incorporating Hoodoo into my practise but I have some reservations.

I'm not sure what to do. I'd love to know my fellow Cauldronites' thoughts and opinions.
    Hi there troll maiden! I've been doing a bit of study in this area myself. I am in begging stages of developing my own ethics in the area of culture appropriation and understand why you are concerned, but I have come to a different conclusion.

I read your first thread "What is hoodoo" from several years ago, and someone suggested The Lucky Mojo owner/writer Cathrine Yronwode. I absolutely love her articles and websites.

In one of her articles she addresses the ways many different groups, including neo-pagans and wiccans, use or integrate Hoodoo in their practices. She takes a fairly open stance in her article "Is Hoodoo a religion: can Wiccans and neo-pagans use Hoodoo". She says "Hoodoo is not a religion in itself, but it is almost always practiced in a religious context -- and that context is, far more often than not, African American Protestantism... So, sure, Wiccans can practice hoodoo if they want to -- no one is stopping them -- but they are guests at the feast, because hoodoo is primarily the folk magic of Black American Christians."

Please also check out Chief Amachi's youtube videos on the deep African roots of Hoodoo, very deep!

Honoring the traditions and wisdom of the sources of any knowledge is crucial, as is understanding it from the perception of the creator's origin.

I think it's also appropriate to point out that Hoodoo is a mash-up of several practices and sources, it is not strictly tribal African in nature. It's not a "pure" or strict linage, it continues to evolve with it's practitioner's available resources/background (look at the differences between it's African roots and the Christian influences that are both incorporated). Hoodoo seems a lot like chaos magick to me, but that's just a personal opinion.

I personally do not feel that I am "stealing" this information because I am developing a deep appreciation of the cultural aspects of the native and African roots and diligently work to not work out of context with it. I also do my best to look at the consequences/aftermath which my magick could possibly have and try to think them through carefully. Intentions, intentions, intentions.

Of course this is just how I have come to feel about it. It I hope you don't miss out on the practical components of practices such as hoodoo out of pure fear. Mistakes made in humble attempts can't hurt

Senior Apprentice Achievements:
    Your first Group1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    unveiledartist is on a distinguished road unveiledartist's Avatar
    Last Online
    8 Apr 2017 @ 11:37 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    My Ancestors
    Pronouns
    None

Quote Originally Posted by troll maiden View Post
    I'm interested in incorporating Hoodoo into my practise but I have some reservations.

From what I've read the practise is steeped in Catholicism, which is a branch of Christianity I don't feel particularly at home in. However, I don't feel right taking Hoodoo out of its religious framework. It feels like I'm cherry picking the parts that interest me, and discarding the rest.

I mean I already feel bad as I don't have African ancestry; I already feel like I'm treading somewhere off-limits.

I'm not sure what to do. I'd love to know my fellow Cauldronites' thoughts and opinions.
    I agree with Blue. I am african american and my family is protestant christian. Both sides of the family are deep south US and my grandmother uzed to practice folk traditions for lack of better words. I never heard of it called hoodoo. My aunt has a funny little name for it. Its weird. My family wouls pray against evil spirits but use hoodoo (which we didnt call it that) to bless and protect our homes.

I read one site and it said that Hoodoo uses biblical scripture in their practices. The author says if you dont use the bible its not hoodoo. Many non African americans practice hoodoo (us south isnt all african american) but in my humble opinion it would be off "for me" to practice something thats not part of my heritage. I am a confirmes catholic but dont practice anymore. My question would be do you believe in god? And how do you view the bible?

As for shoulds/shouldnts, it is up to you. Since its a practice, a lot of which are home practices, maybe finding your own home practice would give an idea of hoodoo. You dont have to call it hoodoo to practice. Many people have bias about it and its up to you.

--

--I dont know if tapatalk keeps quotes. If it does not, I am not aware of it. Please let me know.-

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Senior Apprentice Achievements:
    Your first Group1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    unveiledartist is on a distinguished road unveiledartist's Avatar
    Last Online
    8 Apr 2017 @ 11:37 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    My Ancestors
    Pronouns
    None

(Replying to all in thread so no quotes on purpose)

Southern US is mainly protestant. I never heard my family speak against catholics when I visited them but my family here up north have an itchy bug with it. Maybe because there isnt a lot of catholic churches down there (protestant church on every other street corner and Nothing open on sundays but gas stations. Completely bible belt).

As for hoodoo, not even my family wouos tell us notherners even though we are family. The consensus is since we are up north (though virginia is a southern state) we are like "whites" so everything stays within family and community. Mostly family if that.

Then you may get most families that lost a lot of their traditions while others is mix matched.

My advice as a whole is to look into the culture first. African american culture has a rich history. Learn about the bible and baptist, pentecoastal, and non denominational (among others) denomination. Read the full bible. Biblical knowledge is a cornerstone of our culture.

One time I came from Mass and went to talk with to a social services. An african american guy i talked with after i left asked what church i go to. I said catholic. He says "you disowned us, huh."

Also, you notice people ask about two things race and religion. So id keep that in mind.

Not speaking for all african americans. I just notice a strong pattern that even though i dont know half the people i meet, we "get it." If i were christian it would make my ancestral connection a whole lot easier. But with the Op. This is my opinion and experience only.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2