Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Loss of beloved pet cat (possible trigger warning to other animal lovers/pet owners)  (Read 2199 times)

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
It is with a heavy heart that I write that earlier this evening we lost my beloved 7 year old cat, Greebo.  I had a feeling I'd seen a thread somewhere about pet bereavement but couldn't find it when I went looking so I'm posting this here, I hope that's basically okay.

I guess I am asking for your thoughts & wishes to help me and my husband have the strength to get through our bereavement - I was besotted with my boy, and my husband feels guilty & as though it's his fault that Greebie died at such a young age for a cat.  Also, your wishes for our boy to be very much at peace would be welcome too.

Our two cats had apparently been chasing one another around our home, then my husband heard a squeal & rushed in to the bedroom to find our boy not breathing - I was at work and went to meet him at the vet, but needless to say by the time they'd got across town there was nothing they could do.

Greebo had had a heart murmur for a number of years so the vet said it's possible he had a heart attack or stroke, though we actually speculate that he may have fallen badly between two bits of furniture & become injured that way, because of where he was found.  The fact that there was that squeal preys on my mind, but I have to imagine that it was relatively quick and he hopefully didn't experience any prolonged suffering.

I'm someone who feels the burden of guilt very badly when I feel that another living creature has suffered (particularly if there's any suggestion it could've been our fault in some way, like the placement of our furniture in the bedroom or something), and my husband was the one who had to go through that experience here on his own while I was at work, and he's feeling that if he had prevented the cats from chasing each other this might not have happened.

Neither me or my husband are in the strongest or places already at the moment, and I know from previous experience that there's a tough few days ahead, as we keep remembering all the things our quirky, characterful boy used to do, and keep seeing all the things scattered all around our home that are connected with him.

I suppose there's not much more to say at the moment, other than that I hope with all my heart that my boy rests in peace, and that I don't fall completely apart over his loss.  

Thank you in advance.

PS I hope no-one here feels the trigger warning was a bit much/unnecessary, but I just know how I feel about animals and loss etc, and I don't want to inflict that on others, potentially.
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

victoreia

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: disorganized something
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Quote from: Pickle;201665
It is with a heavy heart that I write that earlier this evening we lost my beloved 7 year old cat, Greebo.  I had a feeling I'd seen a thread somewhere about pet bereavement but couldn't find it when I went looking so I'm posting this here, I hope that's basically okay.

My heartfelt condolences on your loss. Losing a pet is never easy; losing one suddenly like that is even harder. *HUGS*
Do. Or do not. There is no try.  --Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

We are star stuff. We are the universe, made manifest. --Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5

Mind how you go. -- Granny Weatherwax

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
I guess I am asking for your thoughts & wishes to help me and my husband have the strength to get through our bereavement - I was besotted with my boy, and my husband feels guilty & as though it's his fault that Greebie died at such a young age for a cat.  Also, your wishes for our boy to be very much at peace would be welcome too.

A thousand of mice
A thousand of birds
A thousand of every good thing.
May Greebo ascend, and may you be comforted.

(((((Pickle & husband, and Cat#2)))))

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
It is with a heavy heart that I write that earlier this evening we lost my beloved 7 year old cat, Greebo.

Pickle, I'm so very sorry for your loss.  Losing a pet, especially so suddenly and unexpectedly, is heartbreaking.

Please don't blame yourself.  There's literally no way you can foresee and prevent every possible danger to your cats (or to anyone at all, ever). You can only do what you can do.

Three of our cats, all brothers, have enlarged hearts and heart murmurs, with Angel's heart being the most enlarged.  Our vet said it's possible that could cause problems at some point...or not. There's just no way to tell. You can't keep a cat from being a cat out of fear, though.  It's not fair to the cat.

If your cats are anything like mine, they enjoy playing chase immensely.  Not only could you not completely prevent them from chasing each other, doing so would likely have taken away some of their joy, thus reducing their quality of life. And, trite though the saying is, it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.  Greebo had fun playing with his buddy.  That's a good thing.

And the most important thing is that Greebo had a good home and knew he was loved.

You, your husband, Greebo, and your other cat are all in my thoughts and prayers.

((((((Pickle, Mr Pickle, & Cat2))))))
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Nothingness

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
  • Religion: Celtic Shamanic Wicca, currently studing Druidry and I'm in OBOD.

I'm so sorry for your loss.  I lost two cats 2 years ago about the same time and I went through a depression because of it.  I hope you will find support around you.

After I lost my first cat, I was wrecked with grief and guilt because he was old and I got him euthanized after he got sick.  I had a dream of that cat not long after his death and I saw him in the Summerlands, happy and playing in a field with bushes with flowers and leaves.  The colors were bright and the sun was so bright it was blinding me when I looked up in the sky, and the sky was blue.  I played for a while with my cat and I sensed he wanted to tell me he was okay and I needed not to worry about him.  I'm sure your cat is there as well, waiting for you.:)

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan

I'm sorry for your loss. Losing a pet is never easy, but losing them young is always harder. {{{Hugs}}} to you and your family.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
Quote from: victoreia;201677
My heartfelt condolences on your loss.

Quote from: SunflowerP;201679
A thousand of mice
A thousand of birds
A thousand of every good thing.
May Greebo ascend, and may you be comforted.

Quote from: Aster Breo;201681
Pickle, I'm so very sorry for your loss.

Quote from: Nothingness;201685
I'm so sorry for your loss.

Quote from: RandallS;201709
I'm sorry for your loss.

Thank you all so much for your kind comments, thoughts and energy, it's really meant a lot to me.
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Tags: