+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Adept Member Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassThree FriendsYour first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger First Class
    Jack has a reputation beyond repute Jack has a reputation beyond repute Jack has a reputation beyond repute Jack has a reputation beyond repute Jack has a reputation beyond repute Jack has a reputation beyond repute Jack has a reputation beyond repute Jack has a reputation beyond repute Jack has a reputation beyond repute Jack has a reputation beyond repute Jack has a reputation beyond repute Jack's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:10 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Fictional Reconstructionist, imaginary Baltic heathen, Loki-adjacent, small p polytheist and UU
    Pronouns
    he/him/his

Re: Making deity figures

Quote Originally Posted by Alexeigynaix View Post
    This is one of the reasons I got a doll (ceramic-probably-porcelain head, hands, and feet, cloth body) from Goodwill that I'm working on cleaning up and making proper clothing for. The clothing that doll came with is an exceedingly floral dress and matching pretty floral bonnet. As one might imagine, that clothing doesn't seem to suit Athena! I've got materials for a peplos and a himation, and a Janet Stephens the Hairdresser Archaeologist video that will hopefully work for styling the doll's hair. I haven't figured out what I'm doing about her feet yet--un-detailed and unpainted, they look like she's wearing boots, and the little socks and booties that she came with are visibly not even imitation of period--but most likely I'll come up with some sort of sandal.
    Oooh, I'd love to see that when you're done! Wigs can be a challenge, so good luck with that. If the wig she came with doesn't work, you can probably re-wig her without too much trouble.
    Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
    "Jack, you are gravely disordered." - Castus
    "[Jack], you are embracing a lie which will ultimately prove destructive to you and those around you and for which there will be consequences." - ehbowen

Senior Newbie Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points
    Shankara is on a distinguished road Shankara's Avatar
    Last Online
    25 Apr 2017 @ 09:55 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Shakti Vedanta
    Pronouns
    He/Him/His

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcha View Post
    Has anybody ever made their own figures of deities for their altar? I ask because I'm having a REALLY hard time finding representations of the gods that draw me that I like. I have a little Cerridwen that I'm extraordinarily fond of and recently picked up a Bast figure (she doesn't fit into my personal practice, but I have cats, and honoring Bast peripherally seemed right somehow), but I can't find a Brigid that I like and the Horned God is even more difficult.

Ideas? Brilliant sources for statuary? "I made my own and it worked out well" stories? All would be welcome.

And while I know some people have success with representative objects that aren't actually figures, I'm a very visual person and would like actual figures.

(And the ideas don't have to be specifically related to Brigid or the Horned God; I'm still hashing out what this all looks like so any experience would be fine.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Here is the one of Babalon I made last year:

This was done with polymer clay and several action figures purchased at the local thrift store.

Adept Member Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassThree FriendsYour first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger First Class
    Jack has a reputation beyond repute Jack has a reputation beyond repute Jack has a reputation beyond repute Jack has a reputation beyond repute Jack has a reputation beyond repute Jack has a reputation beyond repute Jack has a reputation beyond repute Jack has a reputation beyond repute Jack has a reputation beyond repute Jack has a reputation beyond repute Jack has a reputation beyond repute Jack's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:10 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Fictional Reconstructionist, imaginary Baltic heathen, Loki-adjacent, small p polytheist and UU
    Pronouns
    he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by Shankara View Post
    Here is the one of Babalon I made last year:

This was done with polymer clay and several action figures purchased at the local thrift store.
    I can't see it, can anyone else?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
    "Jack, you are gravely disordered." - Castus
    "[Jack], you are embracing a lie which will ultimately prove destructive to you and those around you and for which there will be consequences." - ehbowen

Journeyman
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    ehbowen is on a distinguished road ehbowen's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:41 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Southern Baptist

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I can see it just fine using Firefox on a Windows desktop. Maybe it's your mobile device.

Nice work, by the way.
    --------Eric H. Bowen
    Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!

Master Member Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points
    Sorcha will become famous soon enough Sorcha's Avatar
    Last Online
    27 Apr 2017 @ 11:52 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Solitary eclectic Celtic-inspired druidish hedgewitchy christopagan... thing. *shrug*
    Pronouns
    She/her/hers

I can see it on my iPhone with Tapatalk

Senior Newbie MadeiraDarling is on a distinguished road MadeiraDarling's Avatar
    Last Online
    15 Apr 2017 @ 04:10 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Non-literalist worship of Dionysus, Baubo and a couple of deities I came up with myself?
    Pronouns
    They/them

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcha View Post
    Has anybody ever made their own figures of deities for their altar? I ask because I'm having a REALLY hard time finding representations of the gods that draw me that I like. I have a little Cerridwen that I'm extraordinarily fond of and recently picked up a Bast figure (she doesn't fit into my personal practice, but I have cats, and honoring Bast peripherally seemed right somehow), but I can't find a Brigid that I like and the Horned God is even more difficult.

Ideas? Brilliant sources for statuary? "I made my own and it worked out well" stories? All would be welcome.

And while I know some people have success with representative objects that aren't actually figures, I'm a very visual person and would like actual figures.

(And the ideas don't have to be specifically related to Brigid or the Horned God; I'm still hashing out what this all looks like so any experience would be fine.)

I haven't made my own but I have repurposed barbie dolls for this. Though this is a question that interests me as well, as I haven't found a depiction of Dionysus I like yet. I'd sort of like to get one of those really lovely ball jointed dolls to use for him, but they're so prohibitively costly

Grand Master Member Achievements:
    Three Friends5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Redfaery is just really nice Redfaery is just really nice Redfaery is just really nice Redfaery is just really nice Redfaery's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:56 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Devotee of Saraswati
    Pronouns
    they/them/theirs

Quote Originally Posted by MadeiraDarling View Post
    I haven't made my own but I have repurposed barbie dolls for this. Though this is a question that interests me as well, as I haven't found a depiction of Dionysus I like yet. I'd sort of like to get one of those really lovely ball jointed dolls to use for him, but they're so prohibitively costly
    I collect BJDs. I wouldn't use one for an icon as they tend to acquire their own personality. Have you considered plastic fashion dolls such as Tonner? They're available at a much cheaper price.
    KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Senior Newbie Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points
    Shankara is on a distinguished road Shankara's Avatar
    Last Online
    25 Apr 2017 @ 09:55 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Shakti Vedanta
    Pronouns
    He/Him/His

Quote Originally Posted by ehbowen View Post
    I can see it just fine using Firefox on a Windows desktop. Maybe it's your mobile device.

Nice work, by the way.
    Thank you. As you can tell, I'm no artist, but I do try my best. This one shows the color a little bit better than my previous submission:

I also have a Ra statue made the same way and I will put the picture of him up in due time.
    My latest project is to make a statue of Babalon and Ra engaged in Vaparita Rati. Don't know if I could post that one too many places....

Senior Newbie MadeiraDarling is on a distinguished road MadeiraDarling's Avatar
    Last Online
    15 Apr 2017 @ 04:10 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Non-literalist worship of Dionysus, Baubo and a couple of deities I came up with myself?
    Pronouns
    They/them

Quote Originally Posted by Redfaery View Post
    I collect BJDs. I wouldn't use one for an icon as they tend to acquire their own personality. Have you considered plastic fashion dolls such as Tonner? They're available at a much cheaper price.
    I've considered them, but I haven't found any that either look like my conception of Dionysus or could be easily customized to do so so far. I worship him as he's depicted in the Bacchae, very beautiful and androgynous and a bit of a rockstar essentially and so the faces of a lot of male BJDs are the closest I've found to what I'm looking for. I actually currently use a Barbie doll on my altar for my representation of a personal deity (Gaia-Galatea, or The Plastic Venus) but I need something quite specific for my Dionysus

Master Member Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Tom is just really nice Tom is just really nice Tom is just really nice Tom is just really nice Tom's Avatar
    Last Online
    22 Apr 2017 @ 09:40 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Devotee of Veles, Slavic Heathen, Fictional Recon
    Pronouns
    he/him/his

I couldn't see it on Tapatalk, but I can see it when I load it on my laptop.

And I am very impressed with the figure now that I can see it. It's pretty amazing. It must've taken a lot of work!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast