Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Making deity figures  (Read 7233 times)

Alexeigynaix

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Making deity figures
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2017, 10:37:43 am »
Quote from: Sorcha;201649
Has anybody ever made their own figures of deities for their altar? I ask because I'm having a REALLY hard time finding representations of the gods that draw me that I like.

This is one of the reasons I got a doll (ceramic-probably-porcelain head, hands, and feet, cloth body) from Goodwill that I'm working on cleaning up and making proper clothing for. The clothing that doll came with is an exceedingly floral dress and matching pretty floral bonnet. As one might imagine, that clothing doesn't seem to suit Athena! I've got materials for a peplos and a himation, and a video that will hopefully work for styling the doll's hair. I haven't figured out what I'm doing about her feet yet--un-detailed and unpainted, they look like she's wearing boots, and the little socks and booties that she came with are visibly not even imitation of period--but most likely I'll come up with some sort of sandal.

The Hestia doll on my altar was crocheted by the person behind Home, Hearth, and Heart Tumblr. This isn't the same thing as having made that figure myself, of course, but if I ever get the bright idea to spend weeks on a crochet project, I know crochet deity figures have been done and therefore can be done.

I am fascinated by the polymer clay stuff y'all are showing off and wish to try that myself. Not right now, though! XD

Mysticsageart

• View Profile
    • http://www.mysticsageart.com
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2017, 04:15:25 pm »
Has anybody ever made their own figures of deities for their altar? I ask because I'm having a REALLY hard time finding representations of the gods that draw me that I like. I have a little Cerridwen that I'm extraordinarily fond of and recently picked up a Bast figure (she doesn't fit into my personal practice, but I have cats, and honoring Bast peripherally seemed right somehow), but I can't find a Brigid that I like and the Horned God is even more difficult.

Ideas? Brilliant sources for statuary? "I made my own and it worked out well" stories? All would be welcome. :)

And while I know some people have success with representative objects that aren't actually figures, I'm a very visual person and would like actual figures.

(And the ideas don't have to be specifically related to Brigid or the Horned God; I'm still hashing out what this all looks like so any experience would be fine.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh gosh, I apologize for the broken picture. It didn't post right from my phone. Here's hoping it works now.

~Karen

Sorcha

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2017, 04:27:35 pm »
Quote from: Mysticsageart;203169
Oh gosh, I apologize for the broken picture. It didn't post right from my phone. Here's hoping it works now.

~Karen

Soooo cute :)

RaeBlue

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2017, 05:01:11 pm »

Ideas? Brilliant sources for statuary? "I made my own and it worked out well" stories? All would be welcome. :)

And while I know some people have success with representative objects that aren't actually figures, I'm a very visual person and would like actual figures.

If you're looking for ideas, this company is mostly statuary of various deities: http://www.sacredsource.com/. While I haven't made any myself, as I am what one might call "craft challenged." It seems like molds would be something to look into as well, if you didn't want to use free form and clay.

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2017, 11:38:37 pm »
Quote from: Mysticsageart;203169

Oh I love that!
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2017, 11:43:13 pm »
Quote from: Alexeigynaix;203137
This is one of the reasons I got a doll (ceramic-probably-porcelain head, hands, and feet, cloth body) from Goodwill that I'm working on cleaning up and making proper clothing for. The clothing that doll came with is an exceedingly floral dress and matching pretty floral bonnet. As one might imagine, that clothing doesn't seem to suit Athena! I've got materials for a peplos and a himation, and a video that will hopefully work for styling the doll's hair. I haven't figured out what I'm doing about her feet yet--un-detailed and unpainted, they look like she's wearing boots, and the little socks and booties that she came with are visibly not even imitation of period--but most likely I'll come up with some sort of sandal.

Oooh, I'd love to see that when you're done! Wigs can be a challenge, so good luck with that. If the wig she came with doesn't work, you can probably re-wig her without too much trouble.
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Shankara

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2017, 06:18:57 pm »
Has anybody ever made their own figures of deities for their altar? I ask because I'm having a REALLY hard time finding representations of the gods that draw me that I like. I have a little Cerridwen that I'm extraordinarily fond of and recently picked up a Bast figure (she doesn't fit into my personal practice, but I have cats, and honoring Bast peripherally seemed right somehow), but I can't find a Brigid that I like and the Horned God is even more difficult.

(And the ideas don't have to be specifically related to Brigid or the Horned God; I'm still hashing out what this all looks like so any experience would be fine.)

Here is the one of Babalon I made last year:

This was done with polymer clay and several action figures purchased at the local thrift store.

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2017, 11:23:23 pm »
Quote from: Shankara;204653
Here is the one of Babalon I made last year:

This was done with polymer clay and several action figures purchased at the local thrift store.

I can't see it, can anyone else?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
  • A Ways Around the Bend...
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
  • Religion: Southern Baptist
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2017, 12:07:39 am »
Quote from: Jack;204666

I can see it just fine using Firefox on a Windows desktop. Maybe it's your mobile device.

Nice work, by the way.
--------Eric H. Bowen
Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!
Computers are like air conditioning. They become useless when you open Windows—Linus Torvalds.

Sorcha

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2017, 12:47:21 am »

I can see it on my iPhone with Tapatalk

MadeiraDarling

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2017, 02:44:21 am »

I haven't made my own but I have repurposed barbie dolls for this.  Though this is a question that interests me as well, as I haven't found a depiction of Dionysus I like yet.  I'd sort of like to get one of those really lovely ball jointed dolls to use for him, but they're so prohibitively costly

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2017, 06:13:26 am »
Quote from: MadeiraDarling;204673
I haven't made my own but I have repurposed barbie dolls for this.  Though this is a question that interests me as well, as I haven't found a depiction of Dionysus I like yet.  I'd sort of like to get one of those really lovely ball jointed dolls to use for him, but they're so prohibitively costly
I collect BJDs. I wouldn't use one for an icon as they tend to acquire their own personality. Have you considered plastic fashion dolls such as Tonner? They're available at a much cheaper price.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Shankara

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2017, 11:24:34 am »
Quote from: ehbowen;204668
I can see it just fine using Firefox on a Windows desktop. Maybe it's your mobile device.

Nice work, by the way.

Thank you. As you can tell, I'm no artist, but I do try my best. This one shows the color a little bit better than my previous submission:

I also have a Ra statue made the same way and I will put the picture of him up in due time.
My latest project is to make a statue of Babalon and Ra engaged in Vaparita Rati. Don't know if I could post that one too many places....

MadeiraDarling

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2017, 04:33:13 pm »
Quote from: Redfaery;204677
I collect BJDs. I wouldn't use one for an icon as they tend to acquire their own personality. Have you considered plastic fashion dolls such as Tonner? They're available at a much cheaper price.

I've considered them, but I haven't found any that either look like my conception of Dionysus or could be easily customized to do so so far.  I worship him as he's depicted in the Bacchae, very beautiful and androgynous and a bit of a rockstar essentially and so the faces of a lot of male BJDs are the closest I've found to what I'm looking for.  I actually currently use a Barbie doll on my altar for my representation of a personal deity (Gaia-Galatea, or The Plastic Venus) but I need something quite specific for my Dionysus

Tom

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://serpentinetom.wordpress.com
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2017, 06:56:47 pm »

I couldn't see it on Tapatalk, but I can see it when I load it on my laptop.

And I am very impressed with the figure now that I can see it. It's pretty amazing. It must've taken a lot of work!

Tags: