Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Women's March on Washington, January 21, 2017  (Read 2396 times)

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Women's March on Washington, January 21, 2017
« on: January 19, 2017, 01:48:56 am »
Just wondering if any other Cauldronites are planning to attend the protest in DC or any of the Sister Marches across the U.S.?

I'm lucky to live in the DC Metro area (well, that isn't always a lucky thing, but...), so I feel like I have a duty to attend.  I'll be there with my family.
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: Women's March on Washington, January 21, 2017
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 06:28:02 am »
Quote from: Aster Breo;201601
Just wondering if any other Cauldronites are planning to attend the protest in DC or any of the Sister Marches across the U.S.?

Lyric and I aren't as she's not up to anything like that physically, but one of the contractors working on our house is going down to DC with his wife for the march.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 05:59:36 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;201605
Lyric and I aren't as she's not up to anything like that physically, but one of the contractors working on our house is going down to DC with his wife for the march.

...which was awesome, by the reports of it! An incredible worldwide phenomenon. My sister and my niece and nephew drove down to DC from NY for it. I'm in California for the month, and though I was in L.A. for that day, the wife of the friend I was visiting doesn't like crowds (BOO!), so we didn't go. They had huge turnout in L.A. as well.

Coming back from L.A., I was in a ride share (a new service in Southern California called Tesloop, where they ferry you in a Tesla) driven by a Brazilian national, with 2 women in the back seat who had come in to L.A. just for the march. Two feminists, a black gay guy, and an immigrant in a Tesla: everything the new administration hates!
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

otieno

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 05:34:47 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;201601

I'm lucky to live in the DC Metro area (well, that isn't always a lucky thing, but...), so I feel like I have a duty to attend.  I'll be there with my family.

As an East African man, I find it hard to support the need for any black people in America, especially black women, to seek redress,recognition and transformation of life, from a government that has never respected them in any way, nor does it respect her children and men. I believe the best approach is to form an administration of their own, in their own neighborhoods, for security, trade, industry, education and medical services.

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 05:45:32 pm »
Quote from: otieno;201815
As an East African man, I find it hard to support the need for any black people in America, especially black women, to seek redress,recognition and transformation of life, from a government that has never respected them in any way, nor does it respect her children and men. I believe the best approach is to form an administration of their own, in their own neighborhoods, for security, trade, industry, education and medical services.

As a black American, I like the way you think, Otieno.

I do volunteer work teaching kids in the NYC public schools, and one of the main reasons I started doing it was because so many black kids (esp. the boys) were falling out of our society--and the gov't was doing nothing about it (in fact, one could say in many respects that the gov't was and is part of the problem).

My thinking was that if we wait for the gov't to address the problem, we'll be waiting until doomsday. It's up to us to shoulder the burden ourselves--not because the gov't shouldn't, but because the gov't won't.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 06:18:13 pm »
Quote from: otieno;201815
I believe the best approach is to form an administration of their own, in their own neighborhoods, for security, trade, industry, education and medical services.

The US tried that (Segregation). So did South Africa (Apartheid). The results were not good.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Sarah

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 09:05:17 pm »
Quote from: Sefiru;201819
The US tried that (Segregation). So did South Africa (Apartheid). The results were not good.

I think its two different things though? One is  demanded from above by the oppressor so as best to control the oppressed and one is  chosen by the oppressed for reasons of empowerment, self definition, safety, community, ect
Knowing when to use a shovel is what being a witch is all about. Nanny Ogg, Witches Abroad

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 12:55:18 am »
Quote from: Sarah;201826
I think its two different things though? One is  demanded from above by the oppressor so as best to control the oppressed and one is  chosen by the oppressed for reasons of empowerment, self definition, safety, community, ect

What Sarah said.

In fact, there's a sorry history of "the system"--the government, various societal interests serving the establishment, and just plain old mobs--disenfranchising black Americans when we try to do what other groups have done in American history: build up wealth in our communities, establish something that can be built upon and passed on to the next generation.

That sorry history includes things like "legacy" college admission practices (ignored by those same folks who scream about affirmative action), an educational advantage that secures the future of generation after generation, and since those first generations were whites only, well.... Redlining, where banks won't lend to otherwise qualified African American borrowers (try getting a business started or buying a home--the things that build stable communities--when no one will lend you the money to do it).... And then there's the wholesale obliteration of wealthy black communities, as in the Tulsa race riot.

So in the face of these and many other pressures, some black folk are making the extra effort to build our own support systems and strengthen our communities. I'm all for it.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 12:58:02 am by Altair »

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2017, 10:32:28 am »
Quote from: Altair;201836
So in the face of these and many other pressures, some black folk are making the extra effort to build our own support systems and strengthen our communities. I'm all for it.

I'm having difficulty getting the words together, Altair, and please forgive me if this comes out weird.

I went to a stereotypical "black junior high"...as in white students living nearby were not permitted to attend other schools, even if they offered specialty classes, because they literally needed us to bring the white enrollment numbers up. It pretty much killed any personal sense of "otherness" I might have had regarding race. 'Other' doesn't have you at their supper table or invite you to their birthdays and pool parties at the rec center.

Anyways, that's the really short version of my thought-process context.

I've heard the sentiment of self-segregation pop up here and there and it worries me. Not because all y'all would be taking your ball and going home, as I absolutely understand how and why we've gotten to this point, but...I just...

...I'm scared for y'all. Not that I'm not scared for y'all as it is since Existing While Black is already cause for harassment/arrest/extrajudicial killing, but...you know what I mean?

As much 'othering' as you all have been and are currently being subjected to, it scared the daylights out of me that trying to consolidate and reinforce will be branded as "uppity" and  make it that much easier to kettle your enclaves should the racist components of society ever get it in their mind to do so.

I guess it's just...there's precious little I can think to do to help in direct and practical terms from all the way over here and it bothers me immensely.

Or in less restrained TL;DR wording: how the fuckity-fuck do I help run interference for y'all?

ETA: Enclave in the sense of taking care of your own affairs, nested within the larger unit society.  I honestly couldn't come up with another word.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 10:37:06 am by Allaya »
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

Tags: