"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Author Topic: Candle Magick - Personal Experiences  (Read 4092 times)

skyefoxe

• View Profile
Candle Magick - Personal Experiences
« on: January 18, 2017, 12:16:20 pm »
Hi All,

I am doing a talk at my local moot in a month, and it is focusing on candle magick.

I just wanted to ask people's personal experiences of their dealings with candle magick - success stories, funny stories, or failings!

Would anyone care to share their experiences with me?! Perhaps some definite dos, or don'ts!? Anything amazing that has happened? Anything funny that has tickled you?! Or even any terrible situations that have arisen from performing a spell.

Thank you in advance :o

hraefngar

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: eclectic pagan
Re: Candle Magick - Personal Experiences
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 12:33:18 pm »
Quote from: skyefoxe;201576
Hi All,
I just wanted to ask people's personal experiences of their dealings with candle magick - success stories, funny stories, or failings!

15 years ago. Was first getting into magic.  Did a candle spell. "Send me a romance."

Well, I got one.  Turned out to be one of the most miserable experiences  of my life.

Be careful what you wish for. :D:

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 01:19:38 pm »
Would anyone care to share their experiences with me?!

Back in the day, I was fond of spells that involved dividing a candle into X number of segments by pushing pins into it, and burning a segment a day, until the pin fell out. I always got my result before the allotted days were up. Every Single Time. (But I went on to the end anyway, because these things are like courses of antibiotics and need to complete.)
'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
~St Augustine~
Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 05:21:04 pm »
Perhaps some definite dos, or don'ts!?

If dividing up a taper candle into segments to burn a little each day, don't use hemp string tied around the dividing lines. It will not just burn a little and then fall off into the bowl of water at the bottom; it will turn the candle into a pillar of flame and destruction.

Also, wax paper (used for various cooking needs) is handy to have around for dressing candles. I rub oil on them, then put whatever I want to dress them in on the wax paper, and roll them on it. Don't get oil all over my stuff and keeps the powder/herb mixture contained.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

skyefoxe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 07:27:04 am »
Quote from: hraefngar;201579
15 years ago. Was first getting into magic.  Did a candle spell. "Send me a romance."

Well, I got one.  Turned out to be one of the most miserable experiences  of my life.

Be careful what you wish for. :D:

Thank you for this :) I know a couple of people who have had this happen!!

skyefoxe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 07:28:38 am »
Quote from: Chatelaine;201583
Back in the day, I was fond of spells that involved dividing a candle into X number of segments by pushing pins into it, and burning a segment a day, until the pin fell out. I always got my result before the allotted days were up. Every Single Time. (But I went on to the end anyway, because these things are like courses of antibiotics and need to complete.)

That is very interesting, thank you for sharing!!!! Did the spells always work the way you wanted?! Or were there ever any issues/strange goings on?!

:)

skyefoxe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 07:29:20 am »
Quote from: Morag;201587
If dividing up a taper candle into segments to burn a little each day, don't use hemp string tied around the dividing lines. It will not just burn a little and then fall off into the bowl of water at the bottom; it will turn the candle into a pillar of flame and destruction.

Also, wax paper (used for various cooking needs) is handy to have around for dressing candles. I rub oil on them, then put whatever I want to dress them in on the wax paper, and roll them on it. Don't get oil all over my stuff and keeps the powder/herb mixture contained.

Thank you Morag :) Great thinking with the wax paper!!!

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox Christian
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 09:41:32 am »
Quote from: skyefoxe;201607
That is very interesting, thank you for sharing!!!! Did the spells always work the way you wanted?! Or were there ever any issues/strange goings on?!

:)

I've never had a spell go horribly wrong. It could be because my mentor was a stickler for proper wording. :) Occasionally, nothing happened, which I put down to the universe saying no that time and tried again a moon later, with success.

Mind you, I haven't done a ton of those spells, so statistically my sample is very small. Candle magick is cheap, fast and easy, but still something to employ when there's no mundane alternative.
'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
~St Augustine~
Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

sevensons

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2017, 01:57:47 pm »
Hi All,

I am doing a talk at my local moot in a month, and it is focusing on candle magick.

Would anyone care to share their experiences with me?! Perhaps some definite dos, or don'ts!? Anything amazing that has happened? Anything funny that has tickled you?! Or even any terrible situations that have arisen from performing a spell.

I can be tough I can be strong but with you its not like that at all.
Awaken myself alive and well loving to start learning today ahead a challenge set by the Gods. Haven't

Instagram stevejomac

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2017, 04:12:16 pm »
Quote from: sevensons;202591
I can be tough I can be strong but with you its not like that at all.

Can I ask what Avril Lavigne lyrics have to do with anything?
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

sevensons

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2017, 03:21:22 am »
Quote from: Allaya;202598
Can I ask what Avril Lavigne lyrics have to do with anything?

You can love it is a chant I use when lighting candles its a form of energy manipulation.
Awaken myself alive and well loving to start learning today ahead a challenge set by the Gods. Haven't

Instagram stevejomac

Shadowstar

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Christo-Pagan
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2017, 09:54:59 pm »
Hi All,

I just wanted to ask people's personal experiences of their dealings with candle magick - success stories, funny stories,

I recently did a healing spell for my sister.  It required a blue candle.  I found one in the back of my closet in a box sent to me by my step mom years earlier.

I worked my spell and lit the candle at the appropriate time.  Then I accidentally knocked it over, extinguishing it.  I re-lit it and continued on with the spell.  The spell required the candle to burn itself out.  This was a four inch standing candle, not a tea light.

The next day I returned to my altar to check on the candle.  It was burned out--with no remnants of it.  No wax, no clue that it had ever even been there.  Just a seemingly empty candlestick on my altar.  I found that odd, but after talking with my sister and my mother, it seems that my spell may have worked.

I have never burned a candle and had no remnants of it.  I mean not a drop of wax or the little metal circle that candle makers use to hold the wick.  Nothing.

Important to note that my mother does not know I am a witch and my sister did not know when I was going to cast my spell, though I did get her permission to do so beforehand.
What is the "Riddle of Steel?"

Ashmire

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic, featuring mainly East Asian and Egyptian plus pop-cultural influences
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2017, 11:12:23 pm »

Something I do, or used to, that I don't hear of very often, is candle divination.  It always seemed to work very well and clearly for me, provided the candles were purpose-made for each divination, though perhaps that's why it's less popular---lot of energy expended just to answer a question one can usually do little about.

Somewhat funny story which is kind of a success---I also once did a spell---I don't recall the details but I did use a candle, with the intent of gaining the courage and eloquence to confront a lovable but notoriously irresponsible friend about a situation that he wasn't taking care of ( basically a few days' cat-sitting for him turned into months, and she wasn't getting along at all well with existing household pets and was causing property damage, and had kittens(!)---one of whom, however, did work out nicely and is still part of my household at the age of 14).

Within less than 8 hours, and no mention of anything to anyone, he called me, earlier on a weekend morning than anyone had ever known this dude to get out of bed in his life, "Can I please come get my cat back?".    ;D

I was delighted with the outcome, but it does make me wonder a bit that the universe apparently found it easier to get the laziest goofball in the state moving on his own initiative than to give me diplomatic skills.

Oh, and as a practical don't, when making candles don't use anything bulkier than a small washer to weight the wick.  I for some reason used a 2-inch bolt on one, and found it abruptly burst into flames---apparently from too big a chunk of hot metal being inside the candle.

Morbid

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2017, 11:47:51 pm »

The only time I've had a particularly negative experience with candle magic was when I was first starting out.  I apparently got the candle a wee bit close to the curtains...  Which ignited.  Luckily I was right there when it caught fire, and threw a bucket of water onto it.  That was fun explaining to my mother!  But I suppose that's just safety 101.  Every since that, I tend to do candle magic outside if at all possible and practical. 

I don't do a particularly large amount of dedicated candle magic, but what I do tends to be fairly effective.  Although I can definitely recommend being clear and articulate with your spells in general.  I did some candle magic seeking money and didn't mark the candle or anything.  I got some money, alright...  I won monopoly a day later. 
For he who has truly lived never truly dies.

Dynes Hysbys

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Cunning Craft
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2017, 04:01:09 am »

The next day I returned to my altar to check on the candle.  It was burned out--with no remnants of it.  No wax, no clue that it had ever even been there.  Just a seemingly empty candlestick on my altar.  I found that odd, but after talking with my sister and my mother, it seems that my spell may have worked.

I have never burned a candle and had no remnants of it.  I mean not a drop of wax or the little metal circle that candle makers use to hold the wick.  Nothing.

Sounds like you were using a properly made beeswax candle.  Beeswax will burn away pretty much completely and not all candles have a metal wick holder - I don't use them.

Tags: