Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Feel like I'm getting the hang of Tarot  (Read 1453 times)

Sorcha

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Feel like I'm getting the hang of Tarot
« on: January 18, 2017, 12:24:03 am »
So I just got a new Tarot deck and did a reading basically working through an approach to seeking a new relationship. I have a rocky relationship history and have been pretty battered by my last one. I'm finally ready to move on, but I'm pretty hesitant.

Anyway, I've been doing readings to sort of think through the process, and quite honestly the one I just did was like an intense therapy session. Is that... normal? Like BAM you get really good readings right away? I'm a complete newbie so part of me is worried this is me doing it wrong because I feel like it should be harder, but another part of me is really happy I did this. (It's saved me from being a weepy mess a couple of times, too; I had a lot of emotional energy invested in this last relationship, and letting go is quite the process.)

Oh, btw, I'm using the Wildwood Tarot by Ryan/Matthews. I'd love it even if the readings were totally confusing because it's gorgeous, but the fact that I'm getting amazing results is pretty cool in and of itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Feel like I'm getting the hang of Tarot
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 08:37:50 am »
Quote from: Sorcha;201559
honestly the one I just did was like an intense therapy session. Is that... normal? Like BAM you get really good readings right away? I'm a complete newbie so part of me is worried this is me doing it wrong because I feel like it should be harder
Thematic appreciation test style tarot reading is easy and, I firmly believe, valid (especially if actually applied to something practical and helpful in life, so)
another part of me is really happy I did this. (It's saved me from being a weepy mess a couple of times, too
I vote to heed that glad, constructive part :)
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 12:21:22 am »
Quote from: Sorcha;201559
Anyway, I've been doing readings to sort of think through the process, and quite honestly the one I just did was like an intense therapy session. Is that... normal? Like BAM you get really good readings right away? I'm a complete newbie so part of me is worried this is me doing it wrong because I feel like it should be harder, but another part of me is really happy I did this.

I'm not a fan of the word 'normal', but... it's certainly something that can happen, yes. While 'good readings' for some values of 'good' can be an indication of 'doing it wrong' (f'ex, if the cards seem to be promising you a glorious trouble-free future, that's probably just wishful thinking at work), that doesn't sound at all like what's happening with you - it sounds like what you mean by 'good' is 'effective and useful'.

I'd take it as an indication that tarot, in general, is an excellent fit for you as divination-system-of-choice, and the deck you picked in particular is one that you connect with well. Someone for whom both those things are true, is quite likely to get useful results right away.

As well, it sounds like you're specifically using tarot as a means of digging stuff out of your own psyche - making 'the cards don't tell you anything you don't already know' (I'm not sure I fully agree with that common aphorism, but I find there's a lot of truth to it) an asset, rather than a liability. So that's another factor that increases the likelihood of effective results.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Sorcha

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 12:39:55 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;201596
I'm not a fan of the word 'normal', but... it's certainly something that can happen, yes. While 'good readings' for some values of 'good' can be an indication of 'doing it wrong' (f'ex, if the cards seem to be promising you a glorious trouble-free future, that's probably just wishful thinking at work), that doesn't sound at all like what's happening with you - it sounds like what you mean by 'good' is 'effective and useful'.

I'd take it as an indication that tarot, in general, is an excellent fit for you as divination-system-of-choice, and the deck you picked in particular is one that you connect with well. Someone for whom both those things are true, is quite likely to get useful results right away.

As well, it sounds like you're specifically using tarot as a means of digging stuff out of your own psyche - making 'the cards don't tell you anything you don't already know' (I'm not sure I fully agree with that common aphorism, but I find there's a lot of truth to it) an asset, rather than a liability. So that's another factor that increases the likelihood of effective results.

Sunflower

I think I was having a hard time articulating what I was experiencing, but you're quite right. Normal=usual, common, frequent. Good/amazing=effective, understandable, clear, relevant.

I come from a background where Tarot is considered evil/bad/possibly demon worship/also doesn't work, so even though something was telling me "buy a deck NOW", I was somewhat skeptical and definitely unsure of what to expect. So I was a little blown away by how helpful it's been so far. I wanted to share the experience because I have literally nobody in my life that I can talk to about this. :/ Which is why the community here is really good for me.

And yes, I'm definitely using the deck as you stated, basically to work through my shit and gain some clarity. Which is what I wanted. I'd frankly be a lot more skeptical if I was getting "bags of gold and a tall dark sex god will be yours next week" (which isn't how this deck works and probably isn't a reading I could get if I tried, even though I wouldn't exactly complain if it happened).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags: