Master Member Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points
    Sorcha will become famous soon enough Sorcha's Avatar
    Last Online
    27 Apr 2017 @ 11:52 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Solitary eclectic Celtic-inspired druidish hedgewitchy christopagan... thing. *shrug*
    Pronouns
    She/her/hers

Re: Exploring "low" magic and could use some suggestions on resources

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cat View Post
    I've been looking around for similar books on magic to the ones you are describing and have found Arin Murphy-Hiscock's "The Way of the Hedge Witch" a nice book for home-based magic. It's a fairly beginner-level book with little rituals, spells and the like. There's also sections on protection, cleansing and purifying, witchy crafts, basic knowledge, and useful information on crafting items like oils and incenses.

I've read a lot of beginner books on magic, trying to find things that suited a home and nature based, solitary, non-Wiccan path. This was a nice one because it didn't preach or assume, was general and covered all (well, most of) the bases I was looking for in an entry level book. Just a note, though, by the time I got around to this book, after spending ages working my way through many, many highly recommended beginner books, I had a lot of good novice level knowledge. There was some basic stuff in Arin's book that was skimmed over a bit (like grounding) that are important but you might not realise that if you'd only read this book. But as a nice little witchy basic entry level book it was quite nice.

I have a really short attention span (ADHD) and I can't handle long, drawn out rituals. The short and sweet rituals and spells in this book suited me perfectly. Being short, they are a nice way to begin working folk magic.

Her "Power Spellcraft for Life" is a nice next-level-up book.
    I have ADHD too, so that's a good point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Staff Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends5000 Experience Points
    Emma Eldritch is a glorious beacon of light Emma Eldritch is a glorious beacon of light Emma Eldritch is a glorious beacon of light Emma Eldritch is a glorious beacon of light Emma Eldritch is a glorious beacon of light Emma Eldritch is a glorious beacon of light Emma Eldritch's Avatar
    Last Online
    26 Apr 2017 @ 11:06 PM
    Country
    Canada
    Religion
    witchcraft
    Pronouns
    she/her/hers

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcha View Post
    I finally picked up a book on witchcraft, the Hedge Witch Book of Days, and it has all kinds of fun stuff in it (recipes!). However, since it's basically a "through the year" kind of a book, it's a little light on practical stuff and I'd love more information.

First off, a little about me. I'm 30 years old as exploring a new path. I've been sort of on this journey for maybe nine months. Publicly, I'm an Episcopal Christian with Celtic leanings, but I'm also extremely drawn to druidry, pagan ideas, and recently, witchcraft. I feel like Brigid, who kind of straddles the pagan and Christian world, keeps elbowing me, as well.

I have my own place and live well away from family, which is good since I cannot imagine them being supportive of anything even mildly witchy or pagan. I grew up fundamental-lite Christian, so yeah. They love me, but "going to hell" would be a very real concern for them.

Anyway, I'm not particularly interested in ceremonial magic at the moment, although I do like ceremony (hence the Episcopal thing), ritual, etc. I want practicality, and I'm curious about the Green/Hedge/Kitchen Witch path--I've dabbled in herbs since I was in my teens and kept a nature journal for almost as long, so being connected to nature and working with plants isn't entirely new.

Also, I love physical books, so "go check out this website" is probably not something I'm going to do on a regular basis. I'd much rather hold a book in my hand that I can read, take notes in, mark, etc.

I'm eyeing Grimoire for the Green Witch. It has tons of high reviews on Amazon (and keep in mind I'm a BEGINNNER as in I have barely actually done anything yet--I'm also staying with my parents for a bit due to a break from work and family circumstances--so books that absolutely spell out the basics are totally fine). I'm not particularly interested in Wicca as a religion although I like the god/goddess concept, etc.

I guess what I'm really looking for is basic books on magic, but not so much ceremonial magic as practical magic.

As a sort of somewhat related question, I was listening to a podcast and somebody was saying that the idea of a "power animal" is--off? Wrong? I hadn't really heard the term "power animal" before, but I got the idea that it's sort of what other people call a "spirit animal". The book I have refers to them as "power animals". Is this wrong? What were they talking about? Help? (I'm so lost... if something I've said doesn't make sense or needs clarification just ask... I may have said it weird since I'm extremely new to this and paganism and magic is sort of a foreign language; I'm still getting over my fundie "magic is devil worship" and "using crystals sounds so hokey even though I can see why you would" hangups in some areas.)

I've never been any great shakes when it comes to religious texts, but magic? That's my jam.

Since most magic needs some form of energy manipulation, Mya Om's Energy Essentials for Witches and Spellcasters is a good little read. She has another one, The Un-Spell Book: Energy Essentials for Mastering Magick as well but I'd get the former one first to see if you dig it.

Spiritual Cleansing: A Handbook of Psychic Self-Protection by Draja Mickaharic was already mentioned, as were Deborah Blake's books - I second those suggestions.

You mentioned candle magic - I liked Coventry Magic with Candles, Oils, and Herbs by Jacki Smith.

Just want a massive spellbook? Judika Illes has put out a ton of them, with The Element Encyclopedia of 5000 Spells being the biggest.

Jan Fries' Visual Magic was my introduction to sigils - the book has a heavier emphasis on nature than a lot of other books that approach the subject. (You can also find how-tos on sigil magic all over the internet, which isn't surprising.)

That's all I can think of off the top of my head for now!
    (the artist formerly known as Mama Fortuna)
    Rock-n-Roll Witch - the blog
    in the violet hour to the violent sound - the tumblr

Master Member Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points
    Sorcha will become famous soon enough Sorcha's Avatar
    Last Online
    27 Apr 2017 @ 11:52 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Solitary eclectic Celtic-inspired druidish hedgewitchy christopagan... thing. *shrug*
    Pronouns
    She/her/hers

Quote Originally Posted by Mama Fortuna View Post
    I've never been any great shakes when it comes to religious texts, but magic? That's my jam.

Since most magic needs some form of energy manipulation, Mya Om's Energy Essentials for Witches and Spellcasters is a good little read. She has another one, The Un-Spell Book: Energy Essentials for Mastering Magick as well but I'd get the former one first to see if you dig it.

Spiritual Cleansing: A Handbook of Psychic Self-Protection by Draja Mickaharic was already mentioned, as were Deborah Blake's books - I second those suggestions.

You mentioned candle magic - I liked Coventry Magic with Candles, Oils, and Herbs by Jacki Smith.

Just want a massive spellbook? Judika Illes has put out a ton of them, with The Element Encyclopedia of 5000 Spells being the biggest.

Jan Fries' Visual Magic was my introduction to sigils - the book has a heavier emphasis on nature than a lot of other books that approach the subject. (You can also find how-tos on sigil magic all over the internet, which isn't surprising.)

That's all I can think of off the top of my head for now!
    I just listened to an interview with Judika Illes today, and now, looking at her books, I think I need to own all of them. They're beautiful.

Adept Member
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points
    MadZealot is a name known to all MadZealot is a name known to all MadZealot is a name known to all MadZealot is a name known to all MadZealot is a name known to all MadZealot is a name known to all MadZealot's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:01 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    heretic

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcha View Post
    I just listened to an interview with Judika Illes today, and now, looking at her books, I think I need to own all of them. They're beautiful.
    They really are. Seconding Mama F's recommendation of 5000 Spells; it's great for this subject And the Encyclopedia of Witchcraft is great to have, period.

A couple others that come to mind are Cunningham's Earth Power and Earth, Air, Fire & Water. I remember one of the prosperity workings being something about holding money in your hand while chanting your spell and walking a bunch of times around a tree, then (I think) burying the money with a seed next to the tree. Simple and elemental.
    Far as I'm concerned, 'accoutrement' is pronounced 'a cooter mint.'

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3