Master Member Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points
    Sorcha will become famous soon enough Sorcha's Avatar
    Last Online
    12 Mar 2017 @ 06:53 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Solitary eclectic Celtic-inspired druidish hedgewitchy christopagan... thing. *shrug*
    Pronouns
    She/her/hers

Re: Exploring "low" magic and could use some suggestions on resources

Quote Originally Posted by Jenett View Post
    Cataloging for Pagan books is weird. If you're willing to post your library system (or send it to me in a PM), I'm glad to poke at it and tell you the magic search words.

(Also, Maine has a pretty good library network for getting books from other libraries in the state, and I can tell you about that, too, but it depends which part of it you're in.)
    I'm beginning to feel self-conscious about my interlibrary loan requests after the stack of alchemy books I got over the summer, lol. I don't want to worry the little old librarians. But you're right; it's an amazing system.

My library is the Jesup Memorial Library. I'm kicking myself now for not checking to see if the fabulous library sale included any pagan books, but I didn't even think of it at the time (I bought an enormous number of nature books, though). I'll hit it next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last Online
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Solitary eclectic Celtic-inspired druidish hedgewitchy christopagan... thing. *shrug*
    Pronouns
    She/her/hers

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcha View Post
    I'm beginning to feel self-conscious about my interlibrary loan requests after the stack of alchemy books I got over the summer, lol. I don't want to worry the little old librarians. But you're right; it's an amazing system.

My library is the Jesup Memorial Library. I'm kicking myself now for not checking to see if the fabulous library sale included any pagan books, but I didn't even think of it at the time (I bought an enormous number of nature books, though). I'll hit it next year.

Oh, and feel free to PM me.

Staff Achievements:
    Three FriendsYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:31 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Initiatory religious witchcraft
    Pronouns
    she/her/hers

If it's any reassurance, your local library catalog does make this search legitimately confusing.

If you don't mind, I might make a new thread with it, and use your library as an example? Sometime tonight, when I get home from work.

(And don't worry about worrying the librarians: chances are at least half of them are delighted to have something new going through their hands. There are some things about ILL and small libraries and people you know in small towns for some people that it's worth thinking about - I never did ILL at the library I worked at in Maine for anything other than professional reading and a couple of really quirky but explainable research projects, because not things I wanted my co-workers to know I was reading. But if you don't have concerns about that, request away!)
    Limen: Thoughts from a Threshold (my blog) :: http://gleewood.org/threshold
    Seeking (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism) :: http://gleewood.org/seeking

Last Online
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Pronouns
    She/her/hers

Exploring "low" magic and could use some suggestions on resources

If it's any reassurance, your local library catalog does make this search legitimately confusing.

If you don't mind, I might make a new thread with it, and use your library as an example? Sometime tonight, when I get home from work.

(And don't worry about worrying the librarians: chances are at least half of them are delighted to have something new going through their hands. There are some things about ILL and small libraries and people you know in small towns for some people that it's worth thinking about - I never did ILL at the library I worked at in Maine for anything other than professional reading and a couple of really quirky but explainable research projects, because not things I wanted my co-workers to know I was reading. But if you don't have concerns about that, request away!)
    Go for it! I feel like it would be fabulously helpful for me and others to understand how to find pagan books in libraries.

I've found my library difficult to search, so it doesn't surprise me. It makes up for it in charm and antiquity, but yeah.

Edited to add: I'm actually surprised there isn't an actual pagan shop in the area.

Staff Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Chatelaine will become famous soon enough Chatelaine's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:53 PM
    Country
    UK
    Religion
    Eastern Orthodox Christian

For general stuff, I like Deborah Blake's books for approaches to magic that are centered on personal practical needs without lots of fancy stuff, and she's good about explaining why she suggests something, suggests alternate options when they're relevant, etc.

Tess Whitehurst also isn't bad for ideas, though her books don't have as much explanation of why she suggests X or Y thing, which makes it hard for me to give it a solid recommendation.
    I read Everyday Witchcraft last year; very enjoyable, I held on to it as long as the library would allow me to, then paid a rather hefty late fee too. It was worth it.

Tess Whitehurst, on the other hand, I didn't enjoy. Too much of a New Age vibe, which I have nothing against in principle, but rubbed me the wrong way in practice. YMMV.

An alternative to libraries and local shops is BookMooch. It may take a while for a wish list item to become available (and some, inevitable, never do), but it's always good news when it does.
    'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
    ~St Augustine~
    Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

Last Online
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Pronouns
    She/her/hers

Quote Originally Posted by Chatelaine View Post
    I read Everyday Witchcraft last year; very enjoyable, I held on to it as long as the library would allow me to, then paid a rather hefty late fee too. It was worth it.

Tess Whitehurst, on the other hand, I didn't enjoy. Too much of a New Age vibe, which I have nothing against in principle, but rubbed me the wrong way in practice. YMMV.

An alternative to libraries and local shops is BookMooch. It may take a while for a wish list item to become available (and some, inevitable, never do), but it's always good news when it does.
    Ooh, that just reminded me of ThriftBooks, which I love. They do all kinds of perks like ten dollars off when you spend fifty, etc.

And yes, a new age vibe gets to me, along with anything with angels or pink clouds on it. Lol.

Adding Everyday Witchcraft to the list.

Last Online
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Pronouns
    She/her/hers

Quote Originally Posted by Chatelaine View Post

Omg I just checked out BookMooch and died of happiness. Maybe I can finally unload a bunch of those Christian books I don't want anymore. I don't want to throw them out; they're not BAD. I'm just done with them; they've done what they can for me and need to go on to new homes.

Staff Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Chatelaine will become famous soon enough Chatelaine's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:53 PM
    Country
    UK
    Religion
    Eastern Orthodox Christian

Omg I just checked out BookMooch and died of happiness. Maybe I can finally unload a bunch of those Christian books I don't want anymore. I don't want to throw them out; they're not BAD. I'm just done with them; they've done what they can for me and need to go on to new homes.
    My time on BookMooch was a bit frustrating because a lot of the books I wanted were listed by Americans who were not willing to ship overseas. I don't blame them, but still. You'll probably have a lot better luck.
    'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
    ~St Augustine~
    Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

Staff Achievements:
    Three FriendsYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:31 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Initiatory religious witchcraft
    Pronouns
    she/her/hers

Go for it! I feel like it would be fabulously helpful for me and others to understand how to find pagan books in libraries.
    It's over here!
    Limen: Thoughts from a Threshold (my blog) :: http://gleewood.org/threshold
    Seeking (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism) :: http://gleewood.org/seeking

Journeyman Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Mountain Cat is on a distinguished road Mountain Cat's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:38 PM
    Country
    Canada
    Religion
    Druid Hedgewitch
    Pronouns
    she/her/hers

I guess what I'm really looking for is basic books on magic, but not so much ceremonial magic as practical magic.

I've been looking around for similar books on magic to the ones you are describing and have found Arin Murphy-Hiscock's "The Way of the Hedge Witch" a nice book for home-based magic. It's a fairly beginner-level book with little rituals, spells and the like. There's also sections on protection, cleansing and purifying, witchy crafts, basic knowledge, and useful information on crafting items like oils and incenses.

I've read a lot of beginner books on magic, trying to find things that suited a home and nature based, solitary, non-Wiccan path. This was a nice one because it didn't preach or assume, was general and covered all (well, most of) the bases I was looking for in an entry level book. Just a note, though, by the time I got around to this book, after spending ages working my way through many, many highly recommended beginner books, I had a lot of good novice level knowledge. There was some basic stuff in Arin's book that was skimmed over a bit (like grounding) that are important but you might not realise that if you'd only read this book. But as a nice little witchy basic entry level book it was quite nice.

I have a really short attention span (ADHD) and I can't handle long, drawn out rituals. The short and sweet rituals and spells in this book suited me perfectly. Being short, they are a nice way to begin working folk magic.

Her "Power Spellcraft for Life" is a nice next-level-up book.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast