Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Exploring "low" magic and could use some suggestions on resources  (Read 6041 times)

Sorcha

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Exploring "low" magic and could use some suggestions on resources
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2017, 02:09:12 pm »
Quote from: Chatelaine;201535
I read Everyday Witchcraft last year; very enjoyable, I held on to it as long as the library would allow me to, then paid a rather hefty late fee too. It was worth it. :D:

Tess Whitehurst, on the other hand, I didn't enjoy. Too much of a New Age vibe, which I have nothing against in principle, but rubbed me the wrong way in practice. YMMV.

An alternative to libraries and local shops is BookMooch. It may take a while for a wish list item to become available (and some, inevitable, never do), but it's always good news when it does.

Ooh, that just reminded me of ThriftBooks, which I love. They do all kinds of perks like ten dollars off when you spend fifty, etc.

And yes, a new age vibe gets to me, along with anything with angels or pink clouds on it. Lol.

Adding Everyday Witchcraft to the list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorcha

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2017, 02:12:55 pm »
Quote from: Chatelaine;201535
I read Everyday Witchcraft last year; very enjoyable, I held on to it as long as the library would allow me to, then paid a rather hefty late fee too. It was worth it. :D:

Tess Whitehurst, on the other hand, I didn't enjoy. Too much of a New Age vibe, which I have nothing against in principle, but rubbed me the wrong way in practice. YMMV.

An alternative to libraries and local shops is BookMooch. It may take a while for a wish list item to become available (and some, inevitable, never do), but it's always good news when it does.

Omg I just checked out BookMooch and died of happiness. Maybe I can finally unload a bunch of those Christian books I don't want anymore. I don't want to throw them out; they're not BAD. I'm just done with them; they've done what they can for me and need to go on to new homes.

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2017, 02:17:03 pm »
Quote from: Sorcha;201537
Omg I just checked out BookMooch and died of happiness. Maybe I can finally unload a bunch of those Christian books I don't want anymore. I don't want to throw them out; they're not BAD. I'm just done with them; they've done what they can for me and need to go on to new homes.

My time on BookMooch was a bit frustrating because a lot of the books I wanted were listed by Americans who were not willing to ship overseas. I don't blame them, but still. You'll probably have a lot better luck. :)
'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
~St Augustine~
Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Quote from: Sorcha;201534
Go for it! I feel like it would be fabulously helpful for me and others to understand how to find pagan books in libraries.

It's over here!
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Mountain Cat

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2017, 10:08:32 pm »
Quote from: Sorcha;201483

I guess what I'm really looking for is basic books on magic, but not so much ceremonial magic as practical magic.

I've been looking around for similar books on magic to the ones you are describing and have found Arin Murphy-Hiscock's "The Way of the Hedge Witch" a nice book for home-based magic. It's a fairly beginner-level book with little rituals, spells and the like. There's also sections on protection, cleansing and purifying, witchy crafts, basic knowledge, and useful information on crafting items like oils and incenses.

I've read a lot of beginner books on magic, trying to find things that suited a home and nature based, solitary, non-Wiccan path. This was a nice one because it didn't preach or assume, was general and covered all (well, most of) the bases I was looking for in an entry level book. Just a note, though, by the time I got around to this book, after spending ages working my way through many, many highly recommended beginner books, I had a lot of good novice level knowledge. There was some basic stuff in Arin's book that was skimmed over a bit (like grounding) that are important but you might not realise that if you'd only read this book. But as a nice little witchy basic entry level book it was quite nice.

I have a really short attention span (ADHD) and I can't handle long, drawn out rituals. The short and sweet rituals and spells in this book suited me perfectly. Being short, they are a nice way to begin working folk magic. :)

Her "Power Spellcraft for Life" is a nice next-level-up book.

Sorcha

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2017, 11:45:23 pm »
Quote from: Mountain Cat;201723
I've been looking around for similar books on magic to the ones you are describing and have found Arin Murphy-Hiscock's "The Way of the Hedge Witch" a nice book for home-based magic. It's a fairly beginner-level book with little rituals, spells and the like. There's also sections on protection, cleansing and purifying, witchy crafts, basic knowledge, and useful information on crafting items like oils and incenses.

I've read a lot of beginner books on magic, trying to find things that suited a home and nature based, solitary, non-Wiccan path. This was a nice one because it didn't preach or assume, was general and covered all (well, most of) the bases I was looking for in an entry level book. Just a note, though, by the time I got around to this book, after spending ages working my way through many, many highly recommended beginner books, I had a lot of good novice level knowledge. There was some basic stuff in Arin's book that was skimmed over a bit (like grounding) that are important but you might not realise that if you'd only read this book. But as a nice little witchy basic entry level book it was quite nice.

I have a really short attention span (ADHD) and I can't handle long, drawn out rituals. The short and sweet rituals and spells in this book suited me perfectly. Being short, they are a nice way to begin working folk magic. :)

Her "Power Spellcraft for Life" is a nice next-level-up book.

I have ADHD too, so that's a good point.

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2017, 12:18:12 am »
Quote from: Sorcha;201483
I finally picked up a book on witchcraft, the Hedge Witch Book of Days, and it has all kinds of fun stuff in it (recipes!). However, since it's basically a "through the year" kind of a book, it's a little light on practical stuff and I'd love more information.

First off, a little about me. I'm 30 years old as exploring a new path. I've been sort of on this journey for maybe nine months. Publicly, I'm an Episcopal Christian with Celtic leanings, but I'm also extremely drawn to druidry, pagan ideas, and recently, witchcraft. I feel like Brigid, who kind of straddles the pagan and Christian world, keeps elbowing me, as well.

I have my own place and live well away from family, which is good since I cannot imagine them being supportive of anything even mildly witchy or pagan. I grew up fundamental-lite Christian, so yeah. They love me, but "going to hell" would be a very real concern for them.

Anyway, I'm not particularly interested in ceremonial magic at the moment, although I do like ceremony (hence the Episcopal thing), ritual, etc. I want practicality, and I'm curious about the Green/Hedge/Kitchen Witch path--I've dabbled in herbs since I was in my teens and kept a nature journal for almost as long, so being connected to nature and working with plants isn't entirely new.

Also, I love physical books, so "go check out this website" is probably not something I'm going to do on a regular basis. I'd much rather hold a book in my hand that I can read, take notes in, mark, etc.

I'm eyeing Grimoire for the Green Witch. It has tons of high reviews on Amazon (and keep in mind I'm a BEGINNNER as in I have barely actually done anything yet--I'm also staying with my parents for a bit due to a break from work and family circumstances--so books that absolutely spell out the basics are totally fine). I'm not particularly interested in Wicca as a religion although I like the god/goddess concept, etc.

I guess what I'm really looking for is basic books on magic, but not so much ceremonial magic as practical magic.

As a sort of somewhat related question, I was listening to a podcast and somebody was saying that the idea of a "power animal" is--off? Wrong? I hadn't really heard the term "power animal" before, but I got the idea that it's sort of what other people call a "spirit animal". The book I have refers to them as "power animals". Is this wrong? What were they talking about? Help? (I'm so lost... if something I've said doesn't make sense or needs clarification just ask... I may have said it weird since I'm extremely new to this and paganism and magic is sort of a foreign language; I'm still getting over my fundie "magic is devil worship" and "using crystals sounds so hokey even though I can see why you would" hangups in some areas.)

I've never been any great shakes when it comes to religious texts, but magic? That's my jam.

Since most magic needs some form of energy manipulation, Mya Om's Energy Essentials for Witches and Spellcasters is a good little read. She has another one, The Un-Spell Book: Energy Essentials for Mastering Magick as well but I'd get the former one first to see if you dig it.

Spiritual Cleansing: A Handbook of Psychic Self-Protection by Draja Mickaharic was already mentioned, as were Deborah Blake's books - I second those suggestions.

You mentioned candle magic - I liked Coventry Magic with Candles, Oils, and Herbs by Jacki Smith.

Just want a massive spellbook? Judika Illes has put out a ton of them, with The Element Encyclopedia of 5000 Spells being the biggest.

Jan Fries' Visual Magic was my introduction to sigils - the book has a heavier emphasis on nature than a lot of other books that approach the subject. (You can also find how-tos on sigil magic all over the internet, which isn't surprising.)

That's all I can think of off the top of my head for now!

Sorcha

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2017, 01:01:42 am »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;201878
I've never been any great shakes when it comes to religious texts, but magic? That's my jam.

Since most magic needs some form of energy manipulation, Mya Om's Energy Essentials for Witches and Spellcasters is a good little read. She has another one, The Un-Spell Book: Energy Essentials for Mastering Magick as well but I'd get the former one first to see if you dig it.

Spiritual Cleansing: A Handbook of Psychic Self-Protection by Draja Mickaharic was already mentioned, as were Deborah Blake's books - I second those suggestions.

You mentioned candle magic - I liked Coventry Magic with Candles, Oils, and Herbs by Jacki Smith.

Just want a massive spellbook? Judika Illes has put out a ton of them, with The Element Encyclopedia of 5000 Spells being the biggest.

Jan Fries' Visual Magic was my introduction to sigils - the book has a heavier emphasis on nature than a lot of other books that approach the subject. (You can also find how-tos on sigil magic all over the internet, which isn't surprising.)

That's all I can think of off the top of my head for now!

I just listened to an interview with Judika Illes today, and now, looking at her books, I think I need to own all of them. They're beautiful.

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2017, 01:50:01 am »
Quote from: Sorcha;201881
I just listened to an interview with Judika Illes today, and now, looking at her books, I think I need to own all of them. They're beautiful.

They really are.  Seconding Mama F's recommendation of 5000 Spells; it's great for this subject  And the Encyclopedia of Witchcraft is great to have, period.

A couple others that come to mind are Cunningham's Earth Power and Earth, Air, Fire & Water.  I remember one of the prosperity workings being something about holding money in your hand while chanting your spell and walking a bunch of times around a tree, then (I think) burying the money with a seed next to the tree.  Simple and elemental.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

SatAset

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Fiercely Bright One
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox
  • Preferred Pronouns: She, Her
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2018, 10:56:09 pm »

As a sort of somewhat related question, I was listening to a podcast and somebody was saying that the idea of a "power animal" is--off? Wrong? I hadn't really heard the term "power animal" before, but I got the idea that it's sort of what other people call a "spirit animal". The book I have refers to them as "power animals". Is this wrong? What were they talking about? Help? (I'm so lost... if something I've said doesn't make sense or needs clarification just ask... I may have said it weird since I'm extremely new to this and paganism and magic is sort of a foreign language; I'm still getting over my fundie "magic is devil worship" and "using crystals sounds so hokey even though I can see why you would" hangups in some areas.)

If you didn't know already, Judika Illes has a few books out on folk magic.  One of her excellent  books is The Encyclopedia of 5000 Spells.  The first half of the book explains about magic and the second half has the various spells. 
I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --SatAset

Holdasown

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Blog
  • Religion: Norse/Germanic Polytheists
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2018, 09:26:37 am »

Candle and Crossroads is a good book on Hoo Doo by Orion Foxwood. I like Robin Artisson's books if you like traditional witchcraft over Wicca.

Tags: