"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Author Topic: Change in geographic location = Radio silence from Manannan?  (Read 1927 times)

Night Owl

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Change in geographic location = Radio silence from Manannan?
« on: January 13, 2017, 05:24:11 pm »
I recently moved from Canada to the UK. Before moving, I would have considered Manannan mac Lir the god I worked with the most. Now, I can hardly feel his presence and I can only theorise why. It isn't that my relationship with all deities is gone- Bast and Badb are still present- it's specifically Manannan.

My primary theory is that all of my associations I would normally have are gone. I used to live near the ocean, and could travel to it relatively easily. Now, though the ocean isn't technically that far away, it would be a long journey. I associate Manannan with the rain, but the rain here in England is different in a way that's hard to describe to someone who hasn't experienced both Vancouver rain and rain where I am now. Rain in Vancouver is torrential. If it starts raining a little, you can expect a downpour that will last at least a few hours, and at most several days. Rain in England is not the same. Most of the time, it drizzles, then occasionally has brief, violent downpours that don't last very long. In short, it feels like the weather here is under different management.

My other theory is that I've primarily seen Manannan as a god of journeys, or a guide of sorts, and whatever my journey has been over these past few years has come, or is coming to an end. But if that was the case, then I'd reckon that I'd have found that out somehow. This one has nothing to do with geographical location but it's worth mentioning since it may be a coincidence.

My third, crackpot, theory is that the entity I've called Manannan is actually some arbitrary regional spirit- but since my experiences have been largely in line with others', I'm not sure how much water that theory could actually hold.

Has anyone experienced anything like this?
Thanks.

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Change in geographic location = Radio silence from Manannan?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 11:48:41 am »
Quote from: Night Owl;201392
I recently moved from Canada to the UK. Before moving, I would have considered Manannan mac Lir the god I worked with the most. Now, I can hardly feel his presence and I can only theorise why. It isn't that my relationship with all deities is gone- Bast and Badb are still present- it's specifically Manannan.

I had something similar happen temporarily about 7 years ago, on a river cruise of the Danube. M'Lady is, as best I can tell, one of the English (decidedly not Celtic) water deities, and I am normally amiable with most water-focused deities but once we got to the river, M'Lady just wasn't there for the duration of the trip (or .. not completely absent, but very very far away, and not coming near where I was.)

My best analysis of it was that there was some power into whose territory she didn't care to cross, for whatever reasons. It may be the same thing with you - the British Isles are studded with specific water deities, and there's quite a distinct difference between interior and coast, even though by North American terms, the coast is never very far in terms of absolute miles.

(If you don't mind reading modern fantasy, and haven't read  the Rivers of London series  by Ben Aaronovich, you might find them relevant to your interests here: the first book and Foxglove Summer have more of this, I think, than the others (haven't read Hanging Tree yet, because it's not quite out in the US yet. A lot of the approach of the Rivers is very congruent to my own experience of spirits of place: that they are their own powers and personalities, but there are lines they don't cross that don't always make a lot of sense from outside the equation.)

It may be that that's combined with other aspects of the move to create the absence. Taking a trip to the coast to see if that sorts anything out, or allows you to make a proper goodbye or gets you more data might be worth considering.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 01:33:36 pm »
Quote from: Night Owl;201392
I associate Manannan with the rain, but the rain here in England is different in a way that's hard to describe to someone who hasn't experienced both Vancouver rain and rain where I am now. Rain in Vancouver is torrential. If it starts raining a little, you can expect a downpour that will last at least a few hours, and at most several days. Rain in England is not the same. Most of the time, it drizzles, then occasionally has brief, violent downpours that don't last very long. In short, it feels like the weather here is under different management.

I understand 100%.

As for the actual question, I've never experienced what you have exactly, but I did want to pop in to suggest that maybe you could do some form of divination to see what's up? You have some good theories, so maybe you could run them through a pendulum or cards or something.

Night Owl

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 11:47:23 am »
Quote from: Jenett;201434
It may be that that's combined with other aspects of the move to create the absence. Taking a trip to the coast to see if that sorts anything out, or allows you to make a proper goodbye or gets you more data might be worth considering.

I didn't reply for a while because I had a trip to Vancouver planned (to snowboard, see my friends, etc) and I figured that rather than speculate, I should see when I took the  trip. What I've figured is that while it's likely that different water-related deities or spirits are in the area (there are several rivers relatively close that I have not been to), the 'end of a journey' idea is probably the main one. Now that I'm thinking about it, it's probably not coincidental with the move. A lot of things have happened and changed with it besides physical location. Which... I'm fine with. It means I can move on for now.

Tags: