Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Some questions about Norse Goddesses  (Read 3370 times)

troll maiden

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Some questions about Norse Goddesses
« on: January 12, 2017, 06:34:26 pm »
I have a few questions about the ladies of the Norse pantheon. Rather than spam the board with topics I figured I'd consolidate them into one handy post. :)

1. Would Skadi or Eir be able to help in matters of the heart? I know Freyja's the go-to for love-related stuff. But I get some great vibes off the other two. Skadi's got a strong 'I don't need no man' thing going. As for Eir, I know she's related to medical matters. So I wonder if her role as a healer could extend to emotional pain as well.

2. How are Norse Goddesses with sharing an altar? I have little space but want to erect an altar for the female deities I feel drawn towards. I think it should be ok. I don't remember there being much friction in the stories. But I'd love to know people's experiences/opinions.

3. Any tips for altar set-ups. Associated colours, flowers, animals and the like.

Many thanks :)

Pteranotropi

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Some questions about Norse Goddesses
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 07:35:17 pm »
Quote from: troll maiden;201368
I have a few questions about the ladies of the Norse pantheon. Rather than spam the board with topics I figured I'd consolidate them into one handy post. :)

1. Would Skadi or Eir be able to help in matters of the heart? I know Freyja's the go-to for love-related stuff. But I get some great vibes off the other two. Skadi's got a strong 'I don't need no man' thing going. As for Eir, I know she's related to medical matters. So I wonder if her role as a healer could extend to emotional pain as well.

2. How are Norse Goddesses with sharing an altar? I have little space but want to erect an altar for the female deities I feel drawn towards. I think it should be ok. I don't remember there being much friction in the stories. But I'd love to know people's experiences/opinions.

3. Any tips for altar set-ups. Associated colours, flowers, animals and the like.

1. Depends on whereas you think renacting their myths will be of use to your love spells. I don't recommend that given how well it worked for Skadi.

2. To my knowledge archaeological evidence suggests that more than one female deity were worshiped at the same time in norse/germanic lands.

3. I associate Skadi with white and blue for some reason

troll maiden

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 05:06:20 pm »
Quote from: Pteranotropi;201449
1. Depends on whereas you think renacting their myths will be of use to your love spells. I don't recommend that given how well it worked for Skadi.

2. To my knowledge archaeological evidence suggests that more than one female deity were worshiped at the same time in norse/germanic lands.

3. I associate Skadi with white and blue for some reason

I should probably elaborate some more. After a rough patch, I feel like I'm being called to the Norse goddesses. Like they're reaching out to me, trying to help me to heal. But I don't want to go asking for help in things they don't normally get involved with. Especially if such endeavours didn't go well for them in the past.
I think I'm drawn to Skadi's self-assured and independant nature. I remember reading the story about the death of her father, and subsequent marriage to Njord. I was inspired by her proactive approach to seeking compensation, and by her unwillingness to stay in a place that made her unhappy even if it meant leaving her husband.

That's good to know. :)

Same here, I think because they conjure up images of where she's most at home. I associate the colour red with Freyja, and the one that sticks out for Eir is a soft green- the kind you'd see in a hospital.

Skumring

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Rökkatru
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 09:09:19 pm »
Quote from: troll maiden;201460
I should probably elaborate some more. After a rough patch, I feel like I'm being called to the Norse goddesses. Like they're reaching out to me, trying to help me to heal. But I don't want to go asking for help in things they don't normally get involved with. Especially if such endeavours didn't go well for them in the past.
I think I'm drawn to Skadi's self-assured and independant nature. I remember reading the story about the death of her father, and subsequent marriage to Njord. I was inspired by her proactive approach to seeking compensation, and by her unwillingness to stay in a place that made her unhappy even if it meant leaving her husband.

That's good to know. :)

Same here, I think because they conjure up images of where she's most at home. I associate the colour red with Freyja, and the one that sticks out for Eir is a soft green- the kind you'd see in a hospital.

You may want to research Hela if healing is your goal... Her path wouldn't be an easy one but you would be all the stronger for it afterward.
Owner of Dusk's Embrace Woodworking

At Dusk's Embrace Woodworking we strive to use only naturally sourced materials to make our products out of respect and love for our home.

Facebook: @DusksEmbraceWoodworking

hraefngar

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: eclectic pagan
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 04:02:34 pm »

I can only speak intelligently about Freyja.  Otherwise, I don't really get along with goddesses.

Colors: I associate gold with her.  She is a fertility goddess, there is this whole myth regarding her necklace, and she shed tears of gold.

Flowers: I'm not a flower person, but I think anything that blooms in spring and has a strong, pleasing scent would be appropriate.

Animals: Cats (her chariot is drawn by cats).  She is also known to ride a boar.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 04:03:21 pm by hraefngar »

troll maiden

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 05:21:33 pm »
Quote from: Skumring;201464
You may want to research Hela if healing is your goal... Her path wouldn't be an easy one but you would be all the stronger for it afterward.

Is that a different name for Hel or a seperate deity? Sounds a little intense. Any tips for working with Her?

troll maiden

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 08:18:51 am »
I have a few questions about the ladies of the Norse pantheon.

Thanks for your help everyone. Plenty of food for thought :)

Pteranotropi

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2017, 09:20:30 pm »
Quote from: hraefngar;201494
I can only speak intelligently about Freyja.  Otherwise, I don't really get along with goddesses.

Colors: I associate gold with her.  She is a fertility goddess, there is this whole myth regarding her necklace, and she shed tears of gold.

Flowers: I'm not a flower person, but I think anything that blooms in spring and has a strong, pleasing scent would be appropriate.

Animals: Cats (her chariot is drawn by cats).  She is also known to ride a boar.

And have a falcon cloak.

Emerlindian

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2017, 12:03:54 am »

I've always felt incredibly close to Skadi, and well I'm not terribly versed in all the nuances of the Sagas, based on my experiences I think she could help. I see her as a goddess that teaches you to love yourself first, and to retain your independence. She'll show you how to still be you, but can work in equal partnership. Although, I would recommend her more for when you're unsure of the type of partner you're looking for; she can help you find someone without having to sacrifice what makes you you.

From what I know, Eir is more of a battlefield or first aid healer. You could potentially call on her for a broken heart after a failed relationship, but I'm not sure how much she could help.

One of Frigga's handmaidens, Sjofn may be very useful if you want to look at not just the romantic aspect of a relationship. She's more of a goddess of affection, blossoming love or care for others, and I see her as someone who strengthens and bonds.

I haven't experienced any discord between the goddesses or altar sharing between gods. If you're associating the altar with a certain goddess, you want to look at their characteristics. Skadi is affliated with archery, snow, mountains, and wolves, Eir you can accompany by adding healing herbs or crystals, and I associate Sjofn with blossoms and sweets.

All in all, your intuition is your best guide. Some goddesses you just won't have a connection to or will see in a very different way than others, and get to know the goddess and what she means to you, that will help you build your altar

Aethiriel

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2017, 05:15:49 pm »

Hela is indeed the same as Hel and she would be a good choice, though yes very challenging but definitely strengthening.

Freya really is the first obvious choice, emotions and love and all related being very much her domain. She also has great empathetic ability and skill as a Seidhkona so she would be very helpful. One of her first lessons is of self-love and this is often key to healing of all kinds. She was a wife and lost her husband and she was a mother too, so she is very loving and understanding yet she is complicated and definitely has her dark sides, dark enough to be comparable to Hela. Like they say, "a witch who cannot hex cannot heal" and Freya can do both.

Skadi was Freya's stepmother and she does have something to offer when it comes to healing, more in the sense of moving on, getting past things and reclaiming one's self.

I also recommend Frigga, and yes her handmaiden Eir as physical and emotional health and well-being are often closely intertwined. Frigga is a wife and mother, and a powerful Seer with knowledge and cunning to rival Odin (and she did indeed get the better of him more than once). Frigga is also often identified with the goddess Berchta, who is connected to birch and the rune Berkana (all three names/words are connected and share meanings), which is a very healing, fertile, feminine rune.

Idunna and/or Sif (Thor's wife) could also be helpful as they have to do with nourishment and fertility and these can be very healing and other beneficent energies. Idunna's golden apples kept the gods immortal so that could be something to draw from. Sif's beautiful blond hair represented the wheat fields that were so important to survival.

Last but not least, though not technically a goddess, I would recommend Audhumla..."space cow" as many heathens and Asatru have affectionately called her. She was there at the beginning and licked the first being free from the hoarfrost block that formed from the fusion of fire and ice in the Ginnunga Gap. She was, more specifically, an aurochs, a now-extinct massive wild cow and represents great primordial strength and generative/regenerative powers. The associated rune would be Uruz, a rune of intense healing, primal strength and transformation.

As for sharing an altar...this depends entirely on the goddesses involved and what you get when you simply ask them. Using a set of runes might be the most effective way to get their opinion on the matter. I have heard and read that they can be fussy about sharing altars and this really makes sense but I have also heard and read about them sharing altars so it is one of those things that will come down to you, your intuitive feelings, their decision on the matter and even your intention for having the altar and working with whatever particular goddesses. They all were indeed allies though, and if you have a space problem I think they will be understanding of that. If I had to guess though I would say that Hela might be the odd one out that would simply mostly appropriately have her own space.
Water knows...flow and grow with me at my blog The Oracle of Water

Tags: