troll maiden is on a distinguished road troll maiden's Avatar
    Last Online
    16 Feb 2017 @ 04:11 AM
    Country
    UK
    Religion
    N/A

Some questions about Norse Goddesses

I have a few questions about the ladies of the Norse pantheon. Rather than spam the board with topics I figured I'd consolidate them into one handy post.

1. Would Skadi or Eir be able to help in matters of the heart? I know Freyja's the go-to for love-related stuff. But I get some great vibes off the other two. Skadi's got a strong 'I don't need no man' thing going. As for Eir, I know she's related to medical matters. So I wonder if her role as a healer could extend to emotional pain as well.

2. How are Norse Goddesses with sharing an altar? I have little space but want to erect an altar for the female deities I feel drawn towards. I think it should be ok. I don't remember there being much friction in the stories. But I'd love to know people's experiences/opinions.

3. Any tips for altar set-ups. Associated colours, flowers, animals and the like.

Many thanks

Journeyman Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Pteranotropi is on a distinguished road Pteranotropi's Avatar
    Last Online
    13 Mar 2017 @ 11:33 AM
    Country
    Portugal
    Religion
    Pragmatic Shaman

Re: Some questions about Norse Goddesses

Quote Originally Posted by troll maiden View Post
    I have a few questions about the ladies of the Norse pantheon. Rather than spam the board with topics I figured I'd consolidate them into one handy post.

1. Would Skadi or Eir be able to help in matters of the heart? I know Freyja's the go-to for love-related stuff. But I get some great vibes off the other two. Skadi's got a strong 'I don't need no man' thing going. As for Eir, I know she's related to medical matters. So I wonder if her role as a healer could extend to emotional pain as well.

2. How are Norse Goddesses with sharing an altar? I have little space but want to erect an altar for the female deities I feel drawn towards. I think it should be ok. I don't remember there being much friction in the stories. But I'd love to know people's experiences/opinions.

3. Any tips for altar set-ups. Associated colours, flowers, animals and the like.

Many thanks

1. Depends on whereas you think renacting their myths will be of use to your love spells. I don't recommend that given how well it worked for Skadi.

2. To my knowledge archaeological evidence suggests that more than one female deity were worshiped at the same time in norse/germanic lands.

3. I associate Skadi with white and blue for some reason

Journeyman Achievements:
    Created Album pictures1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Last Online
    Country
    UK
    Religion
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Pteranotropi View Post
    1. Depends on whereas you think renacting their myths will be of use to your love spells. I don't recommend that given how well it worked for Skadi.

2. To my knowledge archaeological evidence suggests that more than one female deity were worshiped at the same time in norse/germanic lands.

3. I associate Skadi with white and blue for some reason
    I should probably elaborate some more. After a rough patch, I feel like I'm being called to the Norse goddesses. Like they're reaching out to me, trying to help me to heal. But I don't want to go asking for help in things they don't normally get involved with. Especially if such endeavours didn't go well for them in the past.
    I think I'm drawn to Skadi's self-assured and independant nature. I remember reading the story about the death of her father, and subsequent marriage to Njord. I was inspired by her proactive approach to seeking compensation, and by her unwillingness to stay in a place that made her unhappy even if it meant leaving her husband.

That's good to know.

Same here, I think because they conjure up images of where she's most at home. I associate the colour red with Freyja, and the one that sticks out for Eir is a soft green- the kind you'd see in a hospital.

Journeyman Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Skumring is on a distinguished road Skumring's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:36 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Rökkatru

I should probably elaborate some more. After a rough patch, I feel like I'm being called to the Norse goddesses. Like they're reaching out to me, trying to help me to heal. But I don't want to go asking for help in things they don't normally get involved with. Especially if such endeavours didn't go well for them in the past.
    I think I'm drawn to Skadi's self-assured and independant nature. I remember reading the story about the death of her father, and subsequent marriage to Njord. I was inspired by her proactive approach to seeking compensation, and by her unwillingness to stay in a place that made her unhappy even if it meant leaving her husband.

That's good to know.

Same here, I think because they conjure up images of where she's most at home. I associate the colour red with Freyja, and the one that sticks out for Eir is a soft green- the kind you'd see in a hospital.
    You may want to research Hela if healing is your goal... Her path wouldn't be an easy one but you would be all the stronger for it afterward.

Senior Apprentice Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    hraefngar is on a distinguished road hraefngar's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:54 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Odinic occultist

I can only speak intelligently about Freyja. Otherwise, I don't really get along with goddesses.

Colors: I associate gold with her. She is a fertility goddess, there is this whole myth regarding her necklace, and she shed tears of gold.

Flowers: I'm not a flower person, but I think anything that blooms in spring and has a strong, pleasing scent would be appropriate.

Animals: Cats (her chariot is drawn by cats). She is also known to ride a boar.
    Last edited by hraefngar; 16 Jan 2017 at 03:03 PM. Reason: typo

Journeyman Achievements:
    Last Online
    Country
    UK
    Religion
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Skumring View Post
    You may want to research Hela if healing is your goal... Her path wouldn't be an easy one but you would be all the stronger for it afterward.
    Is that a different name for Hel or a seperate deity? Sounds a little intense. Any tips for working with Her?

Journeyman Achievements:
    Last Online
    Country
    UK
    Religion
    N/A

I have a few questions about the ladies of the Norse pantheon.
    Thanks for your help everyone. Plenty of food for thought

Journeyman Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Pteranotropi is on a distinguished road Pteranotropi's Avatar
    Last Online
    13 Mar 2017 @ 11:33 AM
    Country
    Portugal
    Religion
    Pragmatic Shaman

Quote Originally Posted by hraefngar View Post
    I can only speak intelligently about Freyja. Otherwise, I don't really get along with goddesses.

Colors: I associate gold with her. She is a fertility goddess, there is this whole myth regarding her necklace, and she shed tears of gold.

Flowers: I'm not a flower person, but I think anything that blooms in spring and has a strong, pleasing scent would be appropriate.

Animals: Cats (her chariot is drawn by cats). She is also known to ride a boar.
    And have a falcon cloak.

Senior Newbie Emerlindian is on a distinguished road Emerlindian's Avatar
    Last Online
    28 Feb 2017 @ 01:17 PM
    Country
    Canada
    Religion
    Paganism: Heathen

I've always felt incredibly close to Skadi, and well I'm not terribly versed in all the nuances of the Sagas, based on my experiences I think she could help. I see her as a goddess that teaches you to love yourself first, and to retain your independence. She'll show you how to still be you, but can work in equal partnership. Although, I would recommend her more for when you're unsure of the type of partner you're looking for; she can help you find someone without having to sacrifice what makes you you.

From what I know, Eir is more of a battlefield or first aid healer. You could potentially call on her for a broken heart after a failed relationship, but I'm not sure how much she could help.

One of Frigga's handmaidens, Sjofn may be very useful if you want to look at not just the romantic aspect of a relationship. She's more of a goddess of affection, blossoming love or care for others, and I see her as someone who strengthens and bonds.

I haven't experienced any discord between the goddesses or altar sharing between gods. If you're associating the altar with a certain goddess, you want to look at their characteristics. Skadi is affliated with archery, snow, mountains, and wolves, Eir you can accompany by adding healing herbs or crystals, and I associate Sjofn with blossoms and sweets.

All in all, your intuition is your best guide. Some goddesses you just won't have a connection to or will see in a very different way than others, and get to know the goddess and what she means to you, that will help you build your altar

+ Reply to Thread