collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Question about Celtic pantheon and the king Arthur legends.  (Read 1962 times)

Speirbhean

• View Profile
Question about Celtic pantheon and the king Arthur legends.
« on: January 11, 2017, 02:32:37 pm »
So I've been researching as much as I can online about Celtic gods while I wait for my books to arrive.

One of the things that always bothers me is when some blogger will insinuate a connection between the Morrigan and Morgan Le Fey from the knights of the round table stories.  

I've always been under the impression that this is nonsense and a good indicator to find something else to read.  Arthurian legends have nothing at all to do with Celtic mythology and the name resemblance is just a silly coincidence that people sometimes latch on to.  I can't find anything reputable that disputes this, but it comes up often enough that I thought I'd ask here, am I the wrong one?

Obsidia

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Question about Celtic pantheon and the king Arthur legends.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 02:46:54 pm »
Quote from: Speirbhean;201317

One of the things that always bothers me is when some blogger will insinuate a connection between the Morrigan and Morgan Le Fey from the knights of the round table stories.  

I've always found the Arthurian legend a type of fairytale. And fairytales are connected in some way to myths about the gods, heroes, sagas,ect.

As for Morgan le Fay, she was a fairy. according to the older studies of her name. So many want to make links when they're probably isn't any like that. The legends are far too complex because they're ancient.

The Arthur stories have been proven to be vague with history but sits in myth really well for the mainstream.

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 02:55:28 pm »
Quote from: Speirbhean;201317

I've always been under the impression that this is nonsense and a good indicator to find something else to read.  Arthurian legends have nothing at all to do with Celtic mythology and the name resemblance is just a silly coincidence that people sometimes latch on to.  I can't find anything reputable that disputes this, but it comes up often enough that I thought I'd ask here, am I the wrong one?

While I agree that the people conflating the Morrigan and Morgan le Fey usually have lousy evidence for doing so, some of the earliest sources we have about Arthur are actually very Celtic (mostly Welsh, though: he shows up in the Mabinogion. That said, the Tristan and Iseult legends, which also usually reference Arthur, is about Ireland and Cornwall.)

I did a long explanation of the pre-Malory Arthurian sources in a post on this forum a couple of years ago that lays out the rough history and that other people have found useful.

(I was a Medieval/Renaissance Studies major in college, and while it's been a fair while since then, it did include an entire course on the Arthurian Legends, plus reading a bunch of other relevant material in other courses, and I kept many of my books from that.)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Oíche

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Irish Polytheism/Druidry/Initiatory Witchcraft
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 03:49:19 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;201320
While I agree that the people conflating the Morrigan and Morgan le Fey usually have lousy evidence for doing so, some of the earliest sources we have about Arthur are actually very Celtic (mostly Welsh, though: he shows up in the Mabinogion. That said, the Tristan and Iseult legends, which also usually reference Arthur, is about Ireland and Cornwall.)

I did a long explanation of the pre-Malory Arthurian sources in a post on this forum a couple of years ago that lays out the rough history and that other people have found useful.

(I was a Medieval/Renaissance Studies major in college, and while it's been a fair while since then, it did include an entire course on the Arthurian Legends, plus reading a bunch of other relevant material in other courses, and I kept many of my books from that.)

Agreed! There is actually quite a wealth of scholarship in this area- I took classes on it myself in university.

A good blog post on the issue the OP mentioned is this one: http://bansheearts.com/disambiguating-1morgan-le-fay/
'You're my friend, and I love you- but you really look like a witch!!'

Speirbhean

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 03:51:29 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;201320

Oh well its good that I asked then.  So Im correct that they are seperate distinct entities, but the King Arthur legend may not be totally irrelevent.  I mean it probably is to my practice because I am focused on Irish Celtic culture, not welsh.  

Of course I dont know how much overlap there was between the two groups.  How seperate where they?  Im aware they had different languege and mythologies and distinct cultures.

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 04:10:14 pm »
Quote from: Speirbhean;201323

Of course I dont know how much overlap there was between the two groups.  How seperate where they?  Im aware they had different languege and mythologies and distinct cultures.

One challenge is that we don't have a lot of written material. The British Isles are, comparatively, not terribly big geographically (though not necessarily easy to move around in, sometimes). And, of course, the modern conceptions of "Welsh" and "Irish" and so on are partly modern (or at least 'more modern than when we're talking about with myths') conceptions.

As I noted, the Tristan and Iseult legend takes place both in Ireland and Cornwall with an implication of ships going between not being an unusual thing. And it's sort of silly to assume they were just ignoring Wales entirely given it's on the same coast.

On the other hand, it's really hard to date things from a legend that was retold many times before anyone wrote it down, so your question would probably be easier to answer if you were looking at specific kinds of connections, or specific places (where you could then look at things like archaeological evidence to support interactions.) Having a specific time period also helps a lot, since obviously, interactions change over time (and especially as technology improves the ability to sail in certain ways, or whatever.)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Beryl

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 03:17:36 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;201325

As I noted, the Tristan and Iseult legend takes place both in Ireland and Cornwall with an implication of ships going between not being an unusual thing. And it's sort of silly to assume they were just ignoring Wales entirely given it's on the same coast.

FWIW, the Second* Branch of the Mabinogion involves a bit of a barney between a Welsh king (who was probably a king of part of Wales rather than the whole thing) and the King of Ireland (who probably would similarly have been a king of somewhere less than the whole island, but is just fairly generically referred to in that way)  and there's a bit of travelling back and forth. Even now, though, it's a bit of a treacherous bit of water to cross - in the winter a high proportion of ferry crossings from Holyhead to Dublin get cancelled as it's just not worth the risk, and even in summer it happens sometimes** - so I imagine it wouldn't have been an easy journey in Them Days!

*(I think - I'm fiiiiiiiinally reading the dratted thing, having been obsessed with Things Welsh (language, culture, history, mythology, pagan stuffs, music) for around 20 years, unfortunately the translation I had at that time was deathly dull and I couldn't get through it, and never quite dared try again in case it was just as unreadable and I'd Wasted A Book. Now reading Sioned Davies's translation and it's far more fun!)

** (I once had to spend the night in a Dublin youth hostel with my kid and a friend of theirs as we arrived for the last ferry of the day and it was cancelled because of a storm on the horizon)

Beryl

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2017, 03:33:44 pm »
Quote from: Speirbhean;201323

Disclaimer: I have quite a foggy head at the moment and may be misremembering some details, apologies if so, however I think I'm more or less correct here:

On the language front, Irish and Welsh both (in very simple terms) grew out of an earlier language. There are (unless I'm forgetting one) six 'surviving Celtic languages/cultures' in modern times - Irish, Welsh, Gaelic (Scottish Gaelic), Cornish, Manx and Breton. (Manx is from the Isle of Man, Breton is from the Brittany region of France). They all still have at least a few people who speak them (Cornish and Manx have, IIRC, the smallest number of actual native speakers, i.e. people who spoke it from childhood as a first language, or bilingually) and have at least to some extent an ongoing culture that has links to the language (which doesn't necessarily mean - in fact, probably doesn't - surviving pre-Christian practices - the Celts weren't really a religious or even ethnic group, mostly they had a shared, more or less, language, and some similar cultural practices.)

Anyway, they fall into two groups - "P Celtic" or "Brythonic" languages - Welsh, Cornish and Breton - and "Q Celtic" or "Goidelic" languages - Irish, Gaelic and Manx. Essentially this means that a speaker of Breton would probably have a decent chance of making themselves understood to a speaker of Welsh, but a much harder time trying to converse with a speaker of Irish. (It's also worth noting that Welsh has kind of split into two main varieties, with a fairly big difference between North and South Welsh (and then Mid Welsh is kind of a mishmash of the two) but for whatever reason these are classed as dialects of the same language rather than distinct languages, even though they are, to my eye, about as similar/distinct as, say, Irish is from Gaelic...)

I won't go on much longer, but as I understand it, Gaelic (as in, the Celtic language now spoken in some parts of Scotland) actually moved over relatively late, from Ireland. I'm a little hazy on what the local language of non-English speakers was before that, Pictish, I suppose? Cornwall is reasonably close to Wales by boat, and I think that Breton may have transfered to Brittany from Cornwall/Wales at some point (before that the local language would have been Gaulish, or something to that effect). So, basically there's yer sort of Southwest Britain language which probably is what evolved into Cornish/Welsh/Breton, and then yer Ireland language which moved over to Scotland and presumably also the Isle of Man.

It might be worth looking at info on Celtic Studies - either a formal course if that's available in your area, or in terms of a search term for book lists that aren't simply neopagan books. This looks like a decent 'starter kit' - I'm kinda rusty (or at least, a lot of what I studied more formally was a fair while ago and is probably outdated, though I've read up on the language stuff fairly recently and I think I'm pretty much correct there, like I say) and might well check out the books on it myself: http://www.digitalmedievalist.com/reading-lists/starter-kit/

Tags: