Master Member Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points
    Sorcha will become famous soon enough Sorcha's Avatar
    Last Online
    27 Apr 2017 @ 11:52 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Solitary eclectic Celtic-inspired druidish hedgewitchy christopagan... thing. *shrug*
    Pronouns
    She/her/hers

Re: Resource thread: Time and your practice

Quote Originally Posted by Jenett View Post
    This is a special topic thread - please see the guidelines below for details.

Topic:
    What kind of time do you spend on your path? ]
    Path: nature honoring Episcopal Christian with a heavy inclination towards Celtic paganism, druidry, and recently, magic and ritual (in other words, I have no clue, but I'm working on it)

Daily: it depends. I'm a relatively scattered person, so I might say prayers on prayer beads, go for a walk, listen to a theology podcast, meditate, light candles for Cerridwen, Brigid, Lugh, Christ... it depends. One of my goals for this year is to work on devotional and ritual practices. I also cycle through periods where I very devotedly wear a crucifix and don't (I have a mild metal allergy, so it just needs to come off to give my skin a break at times).

Weekly: attend Eucharist. I also sing in the choir, so I attend practice for that at least once a week. I want to add a more lengthy time to focus on ritual at home as well.

Less frequently: journaling, intense study, theological discussion, prayer, etc.

In the past: I've gone through periods where I did nothing or very little, and periods where I was super consistent with, say, reading scripture or praying. The pagan aspects are new, so there's not much to comment on.

In the future: I'd like to add more devotional/study time and more consistent ritual. I'm also very curious about candle magic, particularly in a Christian context.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Staff Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points
    Mumu Champion Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:43 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Kemetic; Feri; UU; Discordian; CoX; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; An American Werewolf In The Akhet; Etc
    Pronouns
    any of he, she, they

Topic:
    What kind of time do you spend on your path?
    Okay, three categories of what I do: Kemetic recon work; Craft training; miscellaneous bibs and bobs of other stuff. Plus I attend a UU church, which is/is not another category depending on perspective.

Things you might like to discuss include:
    • Do you have different answers if we're talking about daily, weekly, or monthly?
    • Are there specific cycles that are relevant to your practice? (i.e. more ritual or more complex activities at some times of year?)
    • Has the amount of time changed noticeably for you at different points in your current path?
    • How do you feel about time and your practice right now?
    • Are there parts of your practice or path you'd like to spend less time on, or more time on?
    Gods, "I have different answers depending on the phase of the fucking moon" is not a useful rhetorical rantyspace in a pagan context, is it? :P I'm parent-on-duty, which means that I'm either completely swamped by tiny adorable monkeys and drowning in minutiae or engaged in constant devotional work to one or another mother-type goddesses, take your pick of angle of reference.

I think that's the thing, though: angle of reference matters a lot for this stuff. A lot of people think of their religious stuff as sealed away from the ordinary parts of life, and it doesn't really work that way for me. The gods I deal with are the gods I deal with because of my life, in many ways, and dealing with my life appropriately in Their departments is a form of veneration.

Anyways.

My Kemetic stuff has a lot of reading and some writing in it. Occasionally there are festivals! Occasionally I even do things about the festivals! Mostly I am swamped and discouraged and tired and I don't want to do this work, I want the work to have been done, and that is really a not pleasant place to be a lot of the time. I should clean my shrines at least.

My Craft stuff has some daily cleansings that take under five minutes total, some regular energy work that I generally do in the shower, and generally I drink more water. There is also a whole bunch of stuff that's... because I am doing this thing I do a whole bunch of other stuff, but it's really damn hard to explain that in coherent terms. Like, I bought an art journal? I've done a couple of sketches in it, by which I mean 'planning for a piece of art I'm not doing', 'a bit of dream journalling', 'sketching an RPG map', and 'began planning out some underlying structure for a computer game', all of which is... relevant but the explanation of how it's relevant is hard.

You see what I mean about angles of observation?

I need to bake more bread. I've been really slacking off on that.

I'm pretty good about getting to church each week though. :P

Um, a less flaily breakdown:

Daily: cleansing, drink water, wrangle circus full of monkeys.

Weekly: Church service and lunch with my big girls.

Monthly: Outdoor offering on the full moon. I should be doing sixth-day rituals (that's Kemetic ancestor shrine stuff) but I ... mostly don't.

Sabbat cycle: ritual group meets, nominally, though none of us have our poop in a group about it most of the time. We're slowly building up a general corpus of village ritual, though.

Festival time: sometimes I mark them. Sometimes I remind other people when theirs are. (I am often better at tracking Jewish holidays than the Jewish household member.)

Constantly: complex creative process seethingly pulling in every direction, and any bit of progress on that is something.
    as the water grinds the stone
    we rise and fall
    as our ashes turn to dust
    we shine like stars - Covenant, "Bullet"

Peaceful Awakenings: Kemetic research blog
    Suns in Her Branches: Integrative religion site and blog
    Beewine Press Pagan Calendars

Apprentice Achievements:
    100 Experience Points31 days registered
    Shewhoseeks is on a distinguished road Shewhoseeks's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:37 PM
    Country
    Germany
    Religion
    In transition to Kemeticism

This is a special topic thread - please see the guidelines below for details.

Topic:
    What kind of time do you spend on your path?

Things you might like to discuss include:
    • Do you have different answers if we're talking about daily, weekly, or monthly?
    • Are there specific cycles that are relevant to your practice? (i.e. more ritual or more complex activities at some times of year?)
    • Has the amount of time changed noticeably for you at different points in your current path?
    • How do you feel about time and your practice right now?
    • Are there parts of your practice or path you'd like to spend less time on, or more time on?
    [/LIST]
    Kemeticism (in transition to it)

I am currently still easing into it. Maybe I am a tad slow, but I want to avoid overstretching things, especially because of having to keep it apart from everybody else I know where I live.

Offerings and prayers and/or conversation in the morning and in the late evenings. Djehuty is also patron of my profession so I also offer on a dayly basis the first ink when arriving at work.

Reading a lot on Him, on Kemet and the Netjeru.

At the moment the moon cycle is most relevant to me.

I wish I could spend more time on ritual. And I know I will grow further into it. All it needs is time and perseverance

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2