Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Demetrian Paganism?  (Read 2079 times)

jverdant

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Demetrian Paganism?
« on: December 31, 2016, 06:39:48 pm »
I'm a soft polytheist, leaning Neoplatonist style monist, but for the past few years I've been drawn pretty compellingly towards the primary gods of the Elusynian mysteries, particularly a sort of triplicate goddess Rhea/Demeter/Persephone, and a Helios/Dionysus/Plouton type god. I've gradually turned all this into my own makeshift personal practice but every so often I've poked around to see if anybody was doing something similar in some kind of systematic way - not necessarily to join an existing tradition, but to have some kindred spirits to draw inspiration from. I've come across a few leads, most notably the Chthonioi Alexandrian tradition, which sounds intriguingly close to what I came up with on my own, but it's hard to know much since it's initiatory.

Just today, I randomly stumbled upon this 1999 book, https://www.amazon.com/Mysteries-Demeter-Rebirth-Pagan-Way/dp/1578631416 , by Jennifer Reif, which seems right up my alley, and appears to attempt to kickstart "Demetrian Paganism" as a distinct tradition. So of course I immediately ordered a copy, but being impatient, I thought I'd get a head start on asking:

Has anybody heard of this tradition? I can only find a few sources on Reif and her trad online. Might anybody be following or practicing this nowadays, or did it never really get off the ground?

Intrigued,
J.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
Re: Demetrian Paganism?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 03:09:28 am »
Quote from: jverdant;200699
So of course I immediately ordered a copy, but being impatient, I thought I'd get a head start on asking:

Has anybody heard of this tradition? I can only find a few sources on Reif and her trad online. Might anybody be following or practicing this nowadays, or did it never really get off the ground?

While it doesn't answer any of your specific questions directly, you might find this thread about the book, from our archive forum, interesting reading.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

jverdant

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 07:21:27 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;200723
While it doesn't answer any of your specific questions directly, you might find this thread about the book, from our archive forum, interesting reading.

Sunflower

Thanks! I'll check it out.

Demophon

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 07:49:35 pm »
Quote from: jverdant;200699

Just today, I randomly stumbled upon this 1999 book, https://www.amazon.com/Mysteries-Demeter-Rebirth-Pagan-Way/dp/1578631416 , by Jennifer Reif, which seems right up my alley, and appears to attempt to kickstart "Demetrian Paganism" as a distinct tradition. So of course I immediately ordered a copy, but being impatient, I thought I'd get a head start on asking:

Intrigued,
J.

I had a copy of Reif's book a while ago, but I didn't think it was very good, so I sold it. I don't remember the specifics, but I think it was mostly that the book was mostly eclectic neo-pagan, neo-wiccanish gobbledeegook using some names of Greek deities. Nothing particularly interesting or scholarly on the actual cult of Eleusis.

jverdant

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 03:44:30 pm »
Quote from: Demophon;200820
I had a copy of Reif's book a while ago, but I didn't think it was very good, so I sold it. I don't remember the specifics, but I think it was mostly that the book was mostly eclectic neo-pagan, neo-wiccanish gobbledeegook using some names of Greek deities. Nothing particularly interesting or scholarly on the actual cult of Eleusis.

Well, I'm definitely not looking for gobbledegook, but as I said in the OP, I am intrigued to see what other attempts have been made to create a neo-pagan or Wiccanate (e.g. Cthonioi Alexandrian) tradition centered on Eleusinian deities. So that's encouraging I guess...

Tags: