collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Deity Appearances  (Read 1178 times)

patchwork_savage

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Deity Appearances
« on: December 30, 2016, 11:57:12 pm »
Something I have wondered about and was not sure how to ask about was the appearance of deities. I had the Greek Goddess of night, Nyx, come to me as a woman of color that was protective and was big on family. I want to know has people's deities appeared to them differently that what most people assume that they should look like?

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
  • A Ways Around the Bend...
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
  • Religion: Southern Baptist
Re: Deity Appearances
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 01:02:47 am »
Quote from: patchwork_savage;200648
Something I have wondered about and was not sure how to ask about was the appearance of deities. I had the Greek Goddess of night, Nyx, come to me as a woman of color that was protective and was big on family. I want to know has people's deities appeared to them differently that what most people assume that they should look like?

I would think that this would largely depend on whether they did or did not want to be recognized at the time of the appearance.
--------Eric H. Bowen
Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!
Computers are like air conditioning. They become useless when you open Windows—Linus Torvalds.

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 02:05:24 pm »
Quote from: ehbowen;200652
I would think that this would largely depend on whether they did or did not want to be recognized at the time of the appearance.

That's an excellent point. Sometimes it's obvious, sometimes it's more like "naw man, YOU figure out who I am."

I think that sometimes spirits/gods/what-have-you will use a form that the individual is more receptive to. Like if someone liked animals more than they liked people, maybe a god would appear as an animal associated with said god as opposed to a human form. Also, I believe that we as humans are always putting our own lens on things because our minds can't fully grasp something way bigger than us.

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
  • A Ways Around the Bend...
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
  • Religion: Southern Baptist
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 08:55:16 pm »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;200690
That's an excellent point. Sometimes it's obvious, sometimes it's more like "naw man, YOU figure out who I am."

I think that sometimes spirits/gods/what-have-you will use a form that the individual is more receptive to. Like if someone liked animals more than they liked people, maybe a god would appear as an animal associated with said god as opposed to a human form. Also, I believe that we as humans are always putting our own lens on things because our minds can't fully grasp something way bigger than us.

I'll agree with that. But, also, if you're a rich and powerful deity who is seriously considering entering into a long-term friendship with a common human, doesn't it make sense, at least at first, to come incognito and see whether said human is really interested in you as a person and a friend...or merely as an avenue to wealth and power?

At least, that's what I take away from my meetings with Jessica. In the most memorable one, I thought she was no more than just an ordinary college student holding down a summer job at the amusement park in Orlando. Still, something really sparked and I came away feeling certain that this was the lady God had in mind for me. It was not until years later, as I was putting together the bits and pieces of the different glimpses and hints and what they might mean, that I finally realized...ohmygod!

[Or, "Oh My Goddess!"? (Yes, I'm a fan!)]
--------Eric H. Bowen
Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!
Computers are like air conditioning. They become useless when you open Windows—Linus Torvalds.

Tags: