minus is on a distinguished road minus's Avatar
    Last Online
    4 Mar 2017 @ 03:56 PM
    Country
    UK
    Religion
    European Polytheist

Help choosing which polytheism to pursue

Hi Everyone, this is my first post on here and I was wondering if you could help me.

I have recently become interested in European Polytheism. My ancestry is Germanic and Celtic.

The problem is, I am finding it really hard to choose what to do. I feel a very strong connection with the God Thor, yet at the same time i feel a stronger connection with the celtic gods overall.

All of this is making me feel really confused and I'm scared to do anything wrong incase I offend some gods that I have no intended to.

I'd look forward to hearing from you all.

minus

Apprentice Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered
    Alexeigynaix is on a distinguished road Alexeigynaix's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:40 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Hellenic reconstructionist polytheism
    Pronouns
    they/their/them

Re: Help

Quote Originally Posted by minus View Post
    Hi Everyone, this is my first post on here and I was wondering if you could help me.

I have recently become interested in European Polytheism. My ancestry is Germanic and Celtic.

The problem is, I am finding it really hard to choose what to do. I feel a very strong connection with the God Thor, yet at the same time i feel a stronger connection with the celtic gods overall.

All of this is making me feel really confused and I'm scared to do anything wrong incase I offend some gods that I have no intended to.

I'd look forward to hearing from you all.

minus
    Step one: breathe.

My experience--granted it's with Greek Gods, not Germanic or Celtic, but I am reasonably certain this is reasonably universally true--is that when you're just getting started in polytheism, the Gods are very forgiving. Because you don't know any better.

I know a bunch of people who do work in multiple polytheistic traditions, and what I hear from them is that the Gods are not typically jealous, either. So if you want to work with Brigid or whoever in the Celtic way and also Thor in the Germanic way, that should not pose any problems for you.

I suggest you start researching both traditions. I have no particular recommendations for books or essays or anything, for which I apologize. Hopefully someone else around here does!

Senior Newbie Achievements:
    31 days registered250 Experience Points
    Last Online
    Country
    UK
    Religion
    European Polytheist

Thanks for your reply, so does this mean I'm practicing eclectic polytheism (never really liked the term pagan) or something else?

also how do i get started in celtic polytheism exactly because theres hardly any "bible" or edda equivalent that I know of.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexeigynaix View Post
    Step one: breathe.

My experience--granted it's with Greek Gods, not Germanic or Celtic, but I am reasonably certain this is reasonably universally true--is that when you're just getting started in polytheism, the Gods are very forgiving. Because you don't know any better.

I know a bunch of people who do work in multiple polytheistic traditions, and what I hear from them is that the Gods are not typically jealous, either. So if you want to work with Brigid or whoever in the Celtic way and also Thor in the Germanic way, that should not pose any problems for you.

I suggest you start researching both traditions. I have no particular recommendations for books or essays or anything, for which I apologize. Hopefully someone else around here does!

Apprentice Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered
    Alexeigynaix is on a distinguished road Alexeigynaix's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:40 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Hellenic reconstructionist polytheism
    Pronouns
    they/their/them

Thanks for your reply, so does this mean I'm practicing eclectic polytheism (never really liked the term pagan) or something else?

also how do i get started in celtic polytheism exactly because theres hardly any "bible" or edda equivalent that I know of.
    "Eclectic polytheism" is probably a good term.

There isn't that I know of, either. Read the myths, is usually a good starting point. Cu Chulainn? Mabinog--wait that's Welsh, never mind.

Also, maybe The Well of Five Streams, by Erynn Rowan Laurie? I'm pretty sure Laurie is a well-known name in Celtic paganism, whose essays might therefore be helpful to you. (I apparently own this in ebook but I'm pretty sure I haven't actually read it yet. So I can't speak to the contents.)

Last Online
    Country
    UK
    Religion
    European Polytheist

thanks, i'll be sure to check that stuff out. On a different note, I've asked this elsewhere, but could anyone else help me with the question?

Recently my wife bought we a valknut without knowing the meaning behind it, it tried it on. I've read some places that once it has been worn you have made a commitment to odin.

I was not aware of this at the time I tried it on, and I'm certainly not ready to make such a commitment.

IS there any truth to this and if so how do I fix this? I'm no where near the point of making commitments.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexeigynaix View Post
    "Eclectic polytheism" is probably a good term.

There isn't that I know of, either. Read the myths, is usually a good starting point. Cu Chulainn? Mabinog--wait that's Welsh, never mind.

Also, maybe The Well of Five Streams, by Erynn Rowan Laurie? I'm pretty sure Laurie is a well-known name in Celtic paganism, whose essays might therefore be helpful to you. (I apparently own this in ebook but I'm pretty sure I haven't actually read it yet. So I can't speak to the contents.)

Staff Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Sefiru has a spectacular aura about Sefiru has a spectacular aura about Sefiru has a spectacular aura about Sefiru's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:32 PM
    Country
    Canada
    Religion
    Kemetic Remix

Hi there!

One thing to keep in mind is that it's always possible to apologise, even if you do offend a god, and most of them aren't easily offended.

We've had a lot of threads here on how to combine different pantheons or traditions; if you do a search for "eclectic" or "eclectic paganism" you'll turn up several.

Last Online
    Country
    UK
    Religion
    European Polytheist

thats really good to hear. in regards to the odin knot do i just apologize and then move on?

Quote Originally Posted by Sefiru View Post
    Hi there!

One thing to keep in mind is that it's always possible to apologise, even if you do offend a god, and most of them aren't easily offended.

We've had a lot of threads here on how to combine different pantheons or traditions; if you do a search for "eclectic" or "eclectic paganism" you'll turn up several.
    Last edited by SunflowerP; 30 Dec 2016 at 06:44 PM. Reason: fixing quote code

Senior Staff Achievements:
    Three FriendsYour first GroupCreated Album picturesOverdriveRecommendation Second Class
    SunflowerP is a splendid one to behold SunflowerP is a splendid one to behold SunflowerP is a splendid one to behold SunflowerP is a splendid one to behold SunflowerP is a splendid one to behold SunflowerP is a splendid one to behold SunflowerP is a splendid one to behold SunflowerP's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:48 AM
    Country
    Canada
    Religion
    Religious Witchcraft
    Pronouns
    sie/hir/hirs

Recently my wife bought we a valknut without knowing the meaning behind it, it tried it on. I've read some places that once it has been worn you have made a commitment to odin.

I was not aware of this at the time I tried it on, and I'm certainly not ready to make such a commitment.

IS there any truth to this and if so how do I fix this? I'm no where near the point of making commitments.
    It might get Odin's attention, but, no, just putting it on does not constitute a commitment. Even wearing it regularly does not; what constitutes a commitment is making a commitment - the notion that one can do so accidentally/inadvertently is, IMO, as ludicrous as the notion that one could make a binding marital commitment 'by accident', or, say, by simply putting on a ring of typical 'wedding ring' design.

The Wikipedia article on the Valknut is actually really good for clarifying this - it makes it clear that the valknut isn't established as definitely being a symbol of Odin, notes modern usages that demonstrate the unlikelihood of the 'instant commitment' notion, and even quotes the passage from Davidson (a very highly-regarded academic antiquarian specializing in northern Europe) from which the 'instant commitment' notion is likely derived, and if so, is clearly a misinterpretation of.

So, you probably don't even need to 'apologize and move on'; you can wear the valknut or not, as you prefer and with no guilt or anxieties either way (many Asatruar use it simply as a symbol of their heathenry, not as a symbol of devotion to Odin specifically), no apologies needed.

With regard to your initial question, Darkhawk's essay On Eclecticism will probably be of interest and use to you.

Sunflower
    Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    I do so have a life. I just live part of it online.
    “Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
    to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
    "Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
    My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ

Last Online
    Country
    UK
    Religion
    European Polytheist

Thanks for your response sunflower, you've made me feel a lot better.

I shall definitely read the link you sent me.

A the moment I'm still trying to find my feet, so i'm not really following any particular path, but exploring options. I noticed you are interested in religious witchcraft. Is there a specific celtic witchcraft path/option that I could look into. this sounds right up my street.

Sorry for so many question, this whole thing is so difficult to understand at first.

Thanks for your patience.

Quote Originally Posted by SunflowerP View Post
    It might get Odin's attention, but, no, just putting it on does not constitute a commitment. Even wearing it regularly does not; what constitutes a commitment is making a commitment - the notion that one can do so accidentally/inadvertently is, IMO, as ludicrous as the notion that one could make a binding marital commitment 'by accident', or, say, by simply putting on a ring of typical 'wedding ring' design.

The Wikipedia article on the Valknut is actually really good for clarifying this - it makes it clear that the valknut isn't established as definitely being a symbol of Odin, notes modern usages that demonstrate the unlikelihood of the 'instant commitment' notion, and even quotes the passage from Davidson (a very highly-regarded academic antiquarian specializing in northern Europe) from which the 'instant commitment' notion is likely derived, and if so, is clearly a misinterpretation of.

So, you probably don't even need to 'apologize and move on'; you can wear the valknut or not, as you prefer and with no guilt or anxieties either way (many Asatruar use it simply as a symbol of their heathenry, not as a symbol of devotion to Odin specifically), no apologies needed.

With regard to your initial question, Darkhawk's essay On Eclecticism will probably be of interest and use to you.

Sunflower

Staff Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Sefiru has a spectacular aura about Sefiru has a spectacular aura about Sefiru has a spectacular aura about Sefiru's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:32 PM
    Country
    Canada
    Religion
    Kemetic Remix

thats really good to hear. in regards to the odin knot do i just apologize and then move on?
    As Sunflower said, that isn't anything that requires an apology. The wedding ring analogy is a good one. Sometimes a ring is just a ring, and sometimes a knot is just a length of string.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast