Last Online
    Today @ 07:59 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan

Re: Fitness Challenge: Winter 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Sobekemiti View Post
    So I've set my workout days for Thursday, Saturday, and Monday, and I've now written them in my diary up til the equinox. It might seem like an odd selection of days, but I work (volunteer work) Tuesday and Wednesday, and I don't want to have to try to remember to exercise if it's been a busy day and I'm already exhausted. I want to give myself the best chance to succeed at this.
    I don't think it's odd at all. I always try to arrange the things I can do on any day around the things that need to be done on a certain day. And it can be really defeating to try to do workouts on top of an already busy day!
    Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

Staff Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends5000 Experience Points
    Emma Eldritch is a glorious beacon of light Emma Eldritch is a glorious beacon of light Emma Eldritch is a glorious beacon of light Emma Eldritch is a glorious beacon of light Emma Eldritch is a glorious beacon of light Emma Eldritch is a glorious beacon of light Emma Eldritch's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:47 PM
    Country
    Canada
    Religion
    witchcraft
    Pronouns
    she/her/hers

Quote Originally Posted by Altair View Post
    Friends convinced me to join them last night for a crazy "Nutcracker Rouge" burlesque show in Brooklyn, and one of the performers, Todd Hanebrink (you can google him, but have a drool cup ready) was nearly naked onstage and rocking my world. Good inspiration to keep me on track.
    As a performer and producer, this makes me happy.
    (the artist formerly known as Mama Fortuna)
    Rock-n-Roll Witch - the blog
    in the violet hour to the violent sound - the tumblr

Staff Achievements:
    Emma Eldritch is a glorious beacon of light Emma Eldritch is a glorious beacon of light Emma Eldritch is a glorious beacon of light Emma Eldritch is a glorious beacon of light Emma Eldritch is a glorious beacon of light Emma Eldritch is a glorious beacon of light Emma Eldritch's Avatar
    Last Online
    Country
    Canada
    Religion
    witchcraft
    Pronouns
    she/her/hers

1) Set your goal. Things to consider when you do--
    • Evaluate where you are now and what would be a good place for you, personally, to be fitness-wise.
    • Make sure the goal is achievable. If you've never done a pushup, don't set your goal as "bench press 300 pounds in the next 3 months," because then you're just setting yourself up to fail. Yes, it should be challenging--whatever that means for you--but give yourself a reasonable chance at success, so that when you win, you can build on that for the next goal, and the next.
    • Make sure the goal is measurable. No, not "feel better in the morning." Something like "lose 10 pounds and keep it off"...and guess what? If you achieve a measurable goal, odds are you'll feel better in the morning, too. (But maybe a little sore the first couple of mornings. In a good way.)
    2) Announce the goal in this thread to all us lovely people. We'll egg you on and keep you honest. Promise!

3) Check in to this thread regularly to let us know how you're doing. At least once a week, people!

and best of all

4) ENJOY THE FRUITS OF YOUR SUCCESS!

END DATE for this iteration of the Fitness Challenge: March 21, 2017.

(The spring equinox, about 3 months from now. That will give us most of the winter, even after the inevitable gluttony and slacking of the holiday season, to get our act together.)

Shout out your goals here now, folks! No shaming, just tough love--as in "YOU set this goal; now we're going to see to it that you stick to it."
    I'm here! Had to seriously consider what were goals that I could actually measure.

So, okay, here's the goals:

- Exercise at least three times a week. This means core/arms/butt. At least one of these exercise slots has to involve free weights.

- Stretching/yoga three times a week.

- Running when weather permits. (Currently the sidewalks are icy as fuck, so we'll see what develops.)

- Come February, sign up for Dance Bootcamp again. Attend ALL classes unless deathly ill or injured. This does not count towards the three-times-a-week exercise.

- Only drink three times a week. (My sister and I love wine and cocktails, but it's so much sugar, ugh.)

I figure that should get me to the equinox pretty well, and then I can reassess what else needs to change.

Adept Member

Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:32 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    tree-hugging neopagan

Quote Originally Posted by Mama Fortuna View Post
    I'm here! Had to seriously consider what were goals that I could actually measure.

So, okay, here's the goals:

- Exercise at least three times a week. This means core/arms/butt. At least one of these exercise slots has to involve free weights.

- Stretching/yoga three times a week.

- Running when weather permits. (Currently the sidewalks are icy as fuck, so we'll see what develops.)

- Come February, sign up for Dance Bootcamp again. Attend ALL classes unless deathly ill or injured. This does not count towards the three-times-a-week exercise.

- Only drink three times a week. (My sister and I love wine and cocktails, but it's so much sugar, ugh.)

I figure that should get me to the equinox pretty well, and then I can reassess what else needs to change.
    Welcome, MF!

This strikes me as very ambitious; workouts 3x/wk PLUS stretching/yoga 3x/wk PLUS all Dance Bootcamp classes PLUS running as weather permits. Only you can say if this is achievable in your world (personally, I don't know where I'd find the time!)...I'm just suggesting taking a second look to confirm that it's right for you.

So, right now we've got:
    Me
    Kylara
    Noctua
    Sobekemiti
    Alexeigynaix
    Mama Fortuna

FRIENDLY REMINDER: The holidays are OVER, people! No more excuse for crappy eating. I just gave away a box of holiday candies that I simply do NOT need hanging around here right now.

Staff Achievements:
    Last Online
    Country
    Canada
    Religion
    witchcraft
    Pronouns
    she/her/hers

Welcome, MF!

This strikes me as very ambitious; workouts 3x/wk PLUS stretching/yoga 3x/wk PLUS all Dance Bootcamp classes PLUS running as weather permits. Only you can say if this is achievable in your world (personally, I don't know where I'd find the time!)...I'm just suggesting taking a second look to confirm that it's right for you.
    That is an excellent suggestion, and I thank you for it. Still gonna go for it - bootcamp's not until February, and it's only once a week. As for the rest of it, I won't be doing hour long workouts every day - the pilates routines I'm planning on average about ten minutes long. I'm a Libra, I'm lazy.

I'm lucky in that I have fixed work hours five days a week, sitting on my ass making cartoons, so that makes it generally pretty easy to schedule my time. But if I crash and burn you guys will be the first to hear about it. XD

FRIENDLY REMINDER: The holidays are OVER, people! No more excuse for crappy eating. I just gave away a box of holiday candies that I simply do NOT need hanging around here right now.
    Ugggggggghhhhhh I knowwww. I applaud your willpower, I so would have eaten it.

Staff Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran5000 Experience Points
    rocquelaire will become famous soon enough rocquelaire will become famous soon enough rocquelaire's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:47 AM
    Country
    UK
    Religion
    Clann Bhride

Here's how it works:

1) Set your goal. Things to consider when you do--
    • Evaluate where you are now and what would be a good place for you, personally, to be fitness-wise.
    • Make sure the goal is achievable. If you've never done a pushup, don't set your goal as "bench press 300 pounds in the next 3 months," because then you're just setting yourself up to fail. Yes, it should be challenging--whatever that means for you--but give yourself a reasonable chance at success, so that when you win, you can build on that for the next goal, and the next.
    • Make sure the goal is measurable. No, not "feel better in the morning." Something like "lose 10 pounds and keep it off"...and guess what? If you achieve a measurable goal, odds are you'll feel better in the morning, too. (But maybe a little sore the first couple of mornings. In a good way.)
    2) Announce the goal in this thread to all us lovely people. We'll egg you on and keep you honest. Promise!

3) Check in to this thread regularly to let us know how you're doing. At least once a week, people!

and best of all

4) ENJOY THE FRUITS OF YOUR SUCCESS!
    OK, I'm in. I had to really think about this one because I wanted to set crazy goals. It was hard to look honestly at where I am and set realistic goals.

I developed Pelvic Girdle Pain during my pregnancy and by the end walking, or even standing for long, was becoming increasingly difficult and I lost a lot of ground with my fitness. My pelvis is recovering now, but slowly. I'm also suffering from some complications from the c-section. So I have to take it slow. My lack of ability at the moment is really frustrating me. Plus I have three kids to run about after.

So, my goal for the next three months is to work back up to 12,000 steps a day. I'm also hoping to get back to the gym but that relies on my wound healing and is somewhat outside my control.

I also want to eat in a way that supports my overall health and in particular will support the healing that I need right now.
    Ashael Rising My debut novel, a tale of a tribal medicine woman, protecting her world from soul-sucking invaders. Crowdfunding now.

Adept Member

Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:32 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    tree-hugging neopagan

Quote Originally Posted by rocquelaire View Post
    OK, I'm in.
    Excellent, Rocquelaire!

So, my goal for the next three months is to work back up to 12,000 steps a day. I'm also hoping to get back to the gym but that relies on my wound healing and is somewhat outside my control.
    I like the specificity of that. You've got a target number to hit.

I also want to eat in a way that supports my overall health and in particular will support the healing that I need right now.
    Another excellent goal. Can you itemize that in some fashion, to give it similar solid specificity as your goal above?

Staff Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran5000 Experience Points
    rocquelaire will become famous soon enough rocquelaire will become famous soon enough rocquelaire's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:47 AM
    Country
    UK
    Religion
    Clann Bhride

Another excellent goal. Can you itemize that in some fashion, to give it similar solid specificity as your goal above?
    For me, this means eating something resembling a paleo diet. So, lots of fresh, whole foods with very little processed or pre-made food. I'm thinking about signing up for a 9 week program called The Happy Body Formula. I'm just deciding whether or not I can afford it right now. Of course, if I stop eating junk I'll probably have more money to spare!
    Ashael Rising My debut novel, a tale of a tribal medicine woman, protecting her world from soul-sucking invaders. Crowdfunding now.

Staff Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Chatelaine will become famous soon enough Chatelaine's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:53 PM
    Country
    UK
    Religion
    Eastern Orthodox Christian

Speak for yourself! My holidays are not over until the 6th!

I'll give this another shot, with a single modest goal: a minimum of 30 minutes of yoga practice, at least 3 times a week. My schedule doesn't allow me to attend classes, so I need the commitment to practise on my own, at home
    'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
    ~St Augustine~
    Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

Senior Master Member Achievements:
    Kylara will become famous soon enough Kylara's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:59 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan

Quote Originally Posted by Chatelaine View Post
    Speak for yourself! My holidays are not over until the 6th!

I'll give this another shot, with a single modest goal: a minimum of 30 minutes of yoga practice, at least 3 times a week. My schedule doesn't allow me to attend classes, so I need the commitment to practise on my own, at home
    You can do it!

I actually completely forgot that I had signed up for a (free) 31 day yoga challenge that started on the first.....and I almost skimped on it (fighting the tail end of a cold), but I saw that she was starting easy, so I went for it...will be doing day 3 today!
    Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast