+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    Master Member

Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Sobekemiti will become famous soon enough Sobekemiti will become famous soon enough Sobekemiti's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:23 PM
    Country
    Australia
    Religion
    Hem-Netjer; Witch; Polytheist; Scribe; Kemetic Monastic; Druid-In-Training (ADF)
    Pronouns
    xe/hir/xem

Re: Fitness Challenge: Winter 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Kylara View Post
    Body issues definitely make regular workouts a bit tricky. I like that your goal is focused on not only a specific number of workouts, but also on moving more and building a workout practice versus a number on the scale...I find that no matter how much I may want to 'weigh less', the idea of feeling better and more at ease in my body is more motivating for me.
    Yeah, I'm a very practical person, so I'd rather just get going on with it, and note each completed session down in my diary, rather than worry about weight and exercise types and complicated logs and other tracking things. I find these get in the way of me actually dong stuff. And right now, doing stuff is more important than worrying about numbers.

I'm also lucky that most of my fat is around my belly, and mostly just results in little old ladies asking if I'm pregnant (I'm not). But I have two obese aunts with diabetes in the family, so I'm keen to avoid turning out like them if I can help it. Better to start now when the bar is fairly low and I can still move well enough to achieve this.
    Sobekemiti Isetemsaf | Queer Polytheist and Sobek Devotee | My pronouns are xe/hir/xem
    Dreamwidth Journal | Per Sebek: The House of Sebek
    Shedety Scriptorium - my new Etsy shop, selling handmade journals, prayer beads, and other sacred items.

Adept Member

Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair's Avatar
    Last Online
    11 Apr 2017 @ 05:04 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    tree-hugging neopagan

Quote Originally Posted by Sobekemiti View Post
    I'm also lucky that most of my fat is around my belly, and mostly just results in little old ladies asking if I'm pregnant (I'm not). But I have two obese aunts with diabetes in the family, so I'm keen to avoid turning out like them if I can help it. Better to start now when the bar is fairly low and I can still move well enough to achieve this.
    You're doing exactly the right thing, being proactive about your health in the face of a family history of problems. We'll back you up here on your goals, 100%

(Oh ye gods...I sound like a frickin' personal trainer)

Adept Member

Achievements:
    Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair's Avatar
    Last Online
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    tree-hugging neopagan

Quote Originally Posted by Noctua View Post
    Okay, family has finally left my house for the holidays so I have my computer to myself again. I've had time over the past few days to think about what I actually want and need as far as fitness goals. So here's my situation:
    As Kylara already noted, I like how both you and Sobekemiti really thought through your goals; it makes success all the more likely.

In fact, I'm committing that we'll ALL meet are goals. We set good ones; now we're going to help each other get there.

--Personal Trainer Altair

Adept Member

Achievements:
    Last Online
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    tree-hugging neopagan

Quote Originally Posted by Altair View Post

Lose 2 inches off my waistline (from 35-1/2 to 33-1/2).
    I'm eating lunch as I type: a steak with salad (with minimal dressing) and a glass of red wine. This will help towards my goal (strip off the fat, preserve as much muscle as possible)...

...but I eat 5 high-protein meals a day (small ones, but still), to fuel muscle growth. I fear I'll have to edit that down to 4 meals to reach my goal, and then I'll start freaking out about shedding hard-earned muscle mass. But I won't heed that siren "eat protein" call! No, not me, not this time.

Friends convinced me to join them last night for a crazy "Nutcracker Rouge" burlesque show in Brooklyn, and one of the performers, Todd Hanebrink (you can google him, but have a drool cup ready) was nearly naked onstage and rocking my world. Good inspiration to keep me on track.

The other thing I'm doing to keep me on track is adding a reward: When I hit my goal, I'm going out and buying a new pair of sweatpants. This sounds pathetic, I know, but I want a carrot hanging in front of me as well as a stick. If When I hit my goal, I'll want to flaunt what I've got, and a flattering pair of sweatpants for the gym (as opposed to the baggies I tend to wear) are just the thing.
    Last edited by Altair; 29 Dec 2016 at 01:14 PM. Reason: deleted redundancy

Master Member

Achievements:
    Sobekemiti will become famous soon enough Sobekemiti will become famous soon enough Sobekemiti's Avatar
    Last Online
    Country
    Australia
    Religion
    Hem-Netjer; Witch; Polytheist; Scribe; Kemetic Monastic; Druid-In-Training (ADF)
    Pronouns
    xe/hir/xem

You're doing exactly the right thing, being proactive about your health in the face of a family history of problems. We'll back you up here on your goals, 100%

(Oh ye gods...I sound like a frickin' personal trainer)
    Yeah, we saw them the day after Christmas for Boxing Day lunch,and yeah. I'm a bit daunted, as I've never attempted something like this before, but I'm going to treat it like any religious daily rituals I've managed over the years and just show up, and the rest will follow. And not beat myself up if I miss one. Something is better than nothing. That's my motto for this goal. Two sessions is still better than none.

And making myself accountable here will help, too. I've done weekly check-ins for writing communities before, and it does help. So I'm hoping this will help me stick with it, too.
    Sobekemiti Isetemsaf | Queer Polytheist and Sobek Devotee | My pronouns are xe/hir/xem
    Shedety Scriptorium - my new Etsy shop, selling handmade journals, prayer beads, and other sacred items.

Master Member

Achievements:
    Last Online
    Country
    Australia
    Religion
    Pronouns
    xe/hir/xem

And making myself accountable here will help, too. I've done weekly check-ins for writing communities before, and it does help. So I'm hoping this will help me stick with it, too.
    So I've set my workout days for Thursday, Saturday, and Monday, and I've now written them in my diary up til the equinox. It might seem like an odd selection of days, but I work (volunteer work) Tuesday and Wednesday, and I don't want to have to try to remember to exercise if it's been a busy day and I'm already exhausted. I want to give myself the best chance to succeed at this.

Senior Apprentice Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Noctua is on a distinguished road Noctua's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:24 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Eclectic Witch of some shade of green
    Pronouns
    she/her/her

So I've set my workout days for Thursday, Saturday, and Monday, and I've now written them in my diary up til the equinox. It might seem like an odd selection of days, but I work (volunteer work) Tuesday and Wednesday, and I don't want to have to try to remember to exercise if it's been a busy day and I'm already exhausted. I want to give myself the best chance to succeed at this.
    I don't think it's odd- in fact I'll probably end up doing the same days when my semester starts mid-January. Tuesday and Wednesday are my practicum days, and I know I'd be setting myself up to fail if I try to exercise after that.

So I found my old fitness log from way back when. My first entry was back in May of 2008 and shows my starting weight and measurements. I was honestly shocked and disappointed to find they match my current weight and measurements almost exactly- I knew I had let myself go a bit but didn't realize I was right back where I had started. The good news at least is that I also have records from when I was at my smallest, just one year later- in that one year I'd lost 20 pounds, and took 4 inches off my waist and 6 off my hips. It's kinda weird to restart in a book I'd last used in 2010, but it's also helpful to see the actual numbers and know that I've done it before so I can definitely do it again.

Senior Apprentice Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered
    Alexeigynaix is on a distinguished road Alexeigynaix's Avatar
    Last Online
    16 Apr 2017 @ 09:17 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Hellenic reconstructionist polytheism
    Pronouns
    they/their/them

1) Set your goal. Things to consider when you do--
    • Evaluate where you are now and what would be a good place for you, personally, to be fitness-wise.
    • Make sure the goal is achievable. If you've never done a pushup, don't set your goal as "bench press 300 pounds in the next 3 months," because then you're just setting yourself up to fail. Yes, it should be challenging--whatever that means for you--but give yourself a reasonable chance at success, so that when you win, you can build on that for the next goal, and the next.
    • Make sure the goal is measurable. No, not "feel better in the morning." Something like "lose 10 pounds and keep it off"...and guess what? If you achieve a measurable goal, odds are you'll feel better in the morning, too. (But maybe a little sore the first couple of mornings. In a good way.)
    2) Announce the goal in this thread to all us lovely people. We'll egg you on and keep you honest. Promise!

3) Check in to this thread regularly to let us know how you're doing. At least once a week, people!

and best of all

4) ENJOY THE FRUITS OF YOUR SUCCESS!
    Okay, here goes nothing.

Goal pt 1: Figure out a free indoors exercise varietal that I am willing to do. (This is probably going to involve, after I get my freaking living room clean, experimenting with a bunch of exercise Youtubes on my laptop. --I wonder if there's Irish-dance-for-beginners exercise Youtubes?)

Goal pt 2: Do that thing at least twice a week.

Senior Master Member Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends5000 Experience Points
    Kylara will become famous soon enough Kylara's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:31 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan

Quote Originally Posted by Alexeigynaix View Post
    Okay, here goes nothing.

Goal pt 1: Figure out a free indoors exercise varietal that I am willing to do. (This is probably going to involve, after I get my freaking living room clean, experimenting with a bunch of exercise Youtubes on my laptop. --I wonder if there's Irish-dance-for-beginners exercise Youtubes?)

Goal pt 2: Do that thing at least twice a week.
    I have come to the opinion that you can find anything on youtube if you search long enough! But I would definitely think there would be some beginners Irish Dance videos!

If not having space is an issue, you can start with 'clean living room' as your twice a week thing until you have space! That will help you get the habit of doing something and get your space cleaned too!
    Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

Senior Master Member Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends5000 Experience Points
    Kylara will become famous soon enough Kylara's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:31 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan

The other thing I'm doing to keep me on track is adding a reward: When I hit my goal, I'm going out and buying a new pair of sweatpants. This sounds pathetic, I know, but I want a carrot hanging in front of me as well as a stick. If When I hit my goal, I'll want to flaunt what I've got, and a flattering pair of sweatpants for the gym (as opposed to the baggies I tend to wear) are just the thing.
    I don't think it's pathetic at all! Sometimes it is really simple things that are deeply motivating...and nothing is better for a fitness goal than something that actually encourages more fitness!
    Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast