+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 149
  1. #101
    Adept Member

    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:32 PM
    Country
    USA
    Location
    New York, New York, USA
    Religion
    tree-hugging neopagan
    Posts
    2,175

    Re: Fitness Challenge: Winter 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by Kylara View Post
    Last week was a hard personal week...very low energy, so many days I just wanted to lay around and do nothing.
    I'm right there with you. I managed to aggravate an old lower back injury, so the last week and a half my usual workout regimen has been on hold--which doesn't help with the waist shrinking. Plus I'm back in cold NYC, which makes running more difficult (once my back lets me do it again).

    My last measurement was right before I left California a week ago, and the waist hadn't budged--35 inches--which is meh in that I want to knock off at least another half inch for our challenge, but good in that at least it hadn't gone back up.

    But mostly I wanted to pop in to give a shout of encouragement to everyone, because I find this is where focus and purpose tends to flag: the latter part of the challenge. We all started really well, I think, and we have just over a month to go before we finish off, and that's plenty of time to put things right if we've gone astray. So refocus, people! We can do this!

  2. #102
    Senior Master Member Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends5000 Experience Points
    Kylara will become famous soon enough Kylara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:59 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan
    Posts
    567

    Re: Fitness Challenge: Winter 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by Altair View Post
    I'm right there with you. I managed to aggravate an old lower back injury, so the last week and a half my usual workout regimen has been on hold--which doesn't help with the waist shrinking. Plus I'm back in cold NYC, which makes running more difficult (once my back lets me do it again).

    My last measurement was right before I left California a week ago, and the waist hadn't budged--35 inches--which is meh in that I want to knock off at least another half inch for our challenge, but good in that at least it hadn't gone back up.

    But mostly I wanted to pop in to give a shout of encouragement to everyone, because I find this is where focus and purpose tends to flag: the latter part of the challenge. We all started really well, I think, and we have just over a month to go before we finish off, and that's plenty of time to put things right if we've gone astray. So refocus, people! We can do this!
    It's always hard when you have an injury to work around. Dress warm for your running! You can always fast walk (if your back will allow) until you are back up to running, just to keep moving.

    And very much *cheers to all for making it this far, even if there have been stumbles. Even when it feels like you are not moving forward, just showing up and doing something towards your goal is a big thing (especially when you have a setback). Something as simple as stopping in here and saying you have been struggling still indicates a desire to continue on! Way to go!
    Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

  3. #103
    Senior Master Member Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends5000 Experience Points
    Kylara will become famous soon enough Kylara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:59 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan
    Posts
    567

    Re: Fitness Challenge: Winter 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by Altair View Post
    Check in
    Last week was hard, not only was I sort of on my own (between challenges), but one of the workouts I chose for Monday overworked my legs. It surprised me because it was only a 5 minute workout, but I guess one of the lunge exercises in it was a bit much because the backs of my legs have been sore all week (mostly feel okay today finally). Still managed five days of working out last week, with one strength building, one yoga, one day of dedicated stretching, and two of cardio (one Zumba, the other was the first day of my new challenge).

    Sunday was the first day of a 21 day fitness challenge, this one is strength building and cardio, about 20 minutes a day, so a much different approach from the 31 day yoga challenge. I do like the lady that does them though, her workouts can be tough, but mostly are fun and doable (though I modify a lot of the jumping exercises, my knees just can't take that)

    Measurements:
    Calf- 17.5
    Thigh- 29.5
    Hips- 50.5
    Waist- 41
    Bust- 45
    Arm- 14

    Down .5 from last week, total of -4 (actually miscounted a couple of weeks ago, so had to go adjust my notes!) I find it interesting to note that I am pretty much changing how I expect to change...the waist has been about constant, but that was what I thought would change last (I seem to adjust most from the outside in, though of course the calf/arm don't have as much change to make so they change smaller). I am hoping that the next three weeks with more of a focus on both cardio and strength will keep things moving! I expect to be sore for the whole time though.
    Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

  4. #104
    Senior Apprentice Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points
    Noctua is on a distinguished road Noctua's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:11 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Eclectic Witch of some shade of green
    Pronouns
    she/her/her
    Posts
    79

    Re: Fitness Challenge: Winter 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by Kylara View Post
    Progress!
    So I wanted to apologize for falling off the map- my work this semester got real intense, real fast and I was unprepared for it. This is the first time I've really had a chance to spend time online in, uh, 2 weeks? More? I can't even remember.

    I'm free right now because I have a day off in my lab course tomorrow (finally! my only day off other than spring break) and Wednesday instead of being in the hospital I have a simulation (i.e. test) in the lab, so no patient to pre-assess. Of course I still have a test Thursday but that's pretty standard and I'm beyond freaking over tests now.

    So yeah, exercise and I have not gotten along. I do spend most of my days on Tuesdays and Wednesdays on my feet, and sometimes there's heavy lifting involved in that too (depending on how mobile my Wednesday patient is). Primarily though the work is emotionally draining, and I'm just now starting to find an equilibrium. I haven't given up, and I do plan on getting back to it when I can.

    I did at least have a boon of warm weather yesterday and got a ton of work hauling compost and pulling weeds in my garden. Got my perennial veggie/fruit beds ready for the spring, and now my lower back and butt are delightfully sore from pushing the wheelbarrow.

  5. #105
    Senior Master Member Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends5000 Experience Points
    Kylara will become famous soon enough Kylara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:59 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan
    Posts
    567

    Re: Fitness Challenge: Winter 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by Noctua View Post
    So yeah, exercise and I have not gotten along. I do spend most of my days on Tuesdays and Wednesdays on my feet, and sometimes there's heavy lifting involved in that too (depending on how mobile my Wednesday patient is). Primarily though the work is emotionally draining, and I'm just now starting to find an equilibrium. I haven't given up, and I do plan on getting back to it when I can.

    I did at least have a boon of warm weather yesterday and got a ton of work hauling compost and pulling weeds in my garden. Got my perennial veggie/fruit beds ready for the spring, and now my lower back and butt are delightfully sore from pushing the wheelbarrow.
    Sounds like you got some exercise in (even if it wasn't a 'traditional' workout!)

    I find that on days where I am out on my feet for a good chunk of the day I can get by with a lighter workout, something that is more stretchy like an easy yoga day. Or something that is fun but not as strenuous.

    And sometimes, life just doesn't give you time to add more in! Way to not give up!
    Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

  6. #106
    Adept Member

    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:32 PM
    Country
    USA
    Location
    New York, New York, USA
    Religion
    tree-hugging neopagan
    Posts
    2,175

    Re: Fitness Challenge: Winter 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by Noctua View Post
    So I wanted to apologize for falling off the map
    No apologies required--you're here, and our mutual efforts are still very much under way.

    And as for not necessarily doing exactly what we'd planned...well, for me today: Valentine's Day. An office filled with donuts, cookies, chocolate...then the chocolates I bought myself (by longstanding tradition, I get myself a Valentine's gift each year; because if I don't love me, who else will?), and then tonight's V-Day counterprogramming by having a friend over for pizza and ice cream.

    So yeah. Not exactly dietetic.

    I think I feel a 5-mile run coming on for tomorrow morning!

  7. #107
    Senior Apprentice Achievements:
    250 Experience PointsOverdrive31 days registered
    sevensons can only hope to improve sevensons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:58 PM
    Country
    UK
    Religion
    Mysticism
    Posts
    91

    Re: Fitness Challenge: Winter 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by Kylara View Post
    Sounds like you got some exercise in (even if it wasn't a 'traditional' workout!)

    I find that on days where I am out on my feet for a good chunk of the day I can get by with a lighter workout, something that is more stretchy like an easy yoga day. Or something that is fun but not as strenuous.

    And sometimes, life just doesn't give you time to add more in! Way to not give up!
    I just go for a few miles walking each day with my dog what efficient way to be fit.

  8. #108
    Senior Master Member Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends5000 Experience Points
    Kylara will become famous soon enough Kylara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:59 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan
    Posts
    567

    Re: Fitness Challenge: Winter 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by sevensons View Post
    I just go for a few miles walking each day with my dog what efficient way to be fit.
    A great way to make getting exercise more enjoyable!
    Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

  9. #109
    Senior Master Member Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends5000 Experience Points
    Kylara will become famous soon enough Kylara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:59 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan
    Posts
    567

    Re: Fitness Challenge: Winter 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by Altair View Post
    No apologies required--you're here, and our mutual efforts are still very much under way.

    And as for not necessarily doing exactly what we'd planned...well, for me today: Valentine's Day. An office filled with donuts, cookies, chocolate...then the chocolates I bought myself (by longstanding tradition, I get myself a Valentine's gift each year; because if I don't love me, who else will?), and then tonight's V-Day counterprogramming by having a friend over for pizza and ice cream.

    So yeah. Not exactly dietetic.

    I think I feel a 5-mile run coming on for tomorrow morning!
    Diet is one of the places that I sort of don't go crazy with. I've learned a long time ago that trying to tell myself I must (or can't) eat certain things doesn't work so well for me. I just try to go with being mindful about what I do eat, and do my best to eat mostly healthy. My biggest eating struggle is not overeating at one sitting (I am a grazer though, so even more important that I don't eat huge meals).

    I think a certain amount of leeway is needed for holidays/special occasions! One day isn't so bad, if your regular habits are good. But doing a bit of extra exercise because you want to indulge is a good mindset too!
    Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

  10. #110
    Apprentice Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered
    Alexeigynaix is on a distinguished road Alexeigynaix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:59 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Hellenic reconstructionist polytheism
    Pronouns
    they/their/them
    Posts
    37

    Re: Fitness Challenge: Winter 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by Alexeigynaix View Post
    Goal pt 1: Figure out a free indoors exercise varietal that I am willing to do. (This is probably going to involve, after I get my freaking living room clean, experimenting with a bunch of exercise Youtubes on my laptop. --I wonder if there's Irish-dance-for-beginners exercise Youtubes?)

    Goal pt 2: Do that thing at least twice a week.
    Hi I am fail. I have still not gone looking for appropriate Youtubes and I have still not got my living room clean enough for the Youtubes to mean anything. It will be clean and vacuumed before March rolls around (we are messing with my meds again and ohai motivation where have you been all my life), but that's a little late for this particular challenge to mean anything.

    I did, totally on impulse because come on it was 70F out today and that's got to be good for something, go walk a lap of the county park. And then flopped in my computer chair for five hours and counting, even though my plan had been to do more cleaning. One mile! One dinky lil mile! And I took my inhaler first! And oww. My calves are unhappy and the soles of my feet are most displeased.

    For context, in recent years I have walked 5Ks without bothering to spend preceding weeks getting in shape for the 5K, because I might not have been in shape but I wasn't out of shape either. And the after of that particular fool move usually sucked, but it didn't suck like today.

    Feh. FEH, I say.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 30 Days of Magic: Pagan Challenge Meme
    By PetitAlbert in forum Member Announcements
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 13 Dec 2015, 01:25 PM
  2. Healthy Challenge--Spring 2015
    By Altair in forum Health and Medicine
    Replies: 97
    Last Post: 7 Jul 2015, 06:24 PM
  3. Druidry and Fitness / Health
    By Asch in forum Neo-Druidry SIG
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 18 Sep 2011, 07:06 PM
  4. 21-Day Meditation Challenge
    By Chatelaine in forum Non-Pagan Religions and Interfaith Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 14 Aug 2011, 05:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts