Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Sports: Fitness Challenge: Winter 2017  (Read 11859 times)

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Re: Fitness Challenge: Winter 2017
« Reply #135 on: March 04, 2017, 09:47:09 am »
Quote from: Noctua;203396
I see no reason why we couldn't (or shouldn't) do a round 2 between the equinox and the solstice- after all those who won't quite reach their goals- like myself- would love to come back and try again, while I'm sure those that have reached their goals would benefit from keeping up the momentum as well as maybe setting new, higher goals. :)

So anyway, again I haven't "officially" worked out this week, but I did get in some gardening again. This week I had 3 tests in 2 days (UGH) so I was a wee bit preoccupied, but tomorrow I'll be planting the 3 trees that came mail-order so that will definitely help me get my heart rate up.

I also signed up for an "Alternative Spring Break" program at my school, so during the week I'm out of class (March 13-17) I'll be spending 3 days doing community service projects in various locations where I live. Two of those 3 days are spent helping out in a community garden in one of our local food deserts, and doing cleanup and trail restoration at one of our city parks, so I'll be getting a workout in that week for sure. ;)

Your Alternative Spring Break sounds awesome!
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 04, 2017, 09:50:37 am »
Quote from: Altair;203400
We've done that in the past, yes! Sometimes it works; other times, I think a bit of "challenge fatigue" sets in, and to keep the fitness challenges effective it's better to knock off for a little while. That's one reason why this is the first time we've done this in a while.

But it sounds like it's working well, that you guys are interested in a Round 2, and that we even have some new interest. So why not? Keep your eyes on the coming equinox, but get ready with fresh determination and new goals for the solstice.

I'm game for continuing.

It may help to stave off fatigue if we each re-evaluate our goals every new 'challenge'.  This way it's a bit different, or if you were really struggling (or finding your goals too easy), you can get something that works better for you (and is more likely to support you actually working on it!)

I'm kind of ready to actually slow down to my stated goals (of 3x a week and the rest is bonus).  Having done two other daily fitness challenges that covered most of this month, I am definitely ready for a little slow down (though also curious how that will effect my results...which could mean that I decide to go back to more than 3x a week later on)

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #137 on: March 04, 2017, 08:32:37 pm »
Quote from: Kylara;203409
I'm game for continuing.

OK, I opened up a new thread so we could start pondering our next steps in anticipation of the March 21 start date.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 05, 2017, 11:43:23 am »
Quote from: Altair;200447
Check in

Last week ended my most recent workout challenge...that one was hard (because it was more toning and cardio as opposed to yoga, which while definitely challenging isn't as hard for me).  I made it to six workouts, gave myself yesterday off (we were expecting a delivery and someone to come pick up our old loveseat, so I more or less didn't do anything yesterday that I couldn't just drop if someone knocked on the door)

Measurements
calf- 17.5
thigh- 29
hips- 50.5
waist- 41
bust- 45
arm- 14.5

that equals a loss of 1.5 inches this week.  Went to look at the overall numbers, and realized I'm somehow off on my math, which is driving me buggy, going to have to mess with these numbers some more.  Depending on how I calculate (either weekly or total) I get different results, and I think I've figured out the week where it goes wrong, but I must still be half asleep because I can't get this one week to add up right!  Either way, I'm down 4 or 6 inches total (I will sort this out....somehow)

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #139 on: March 11, 2017, 05:31:39 pm »
Quote from: Kylara;203451

Either way, I'm down 4 or 6 inches total

Impressive! You've probably been the most regular about checking into the thread, and you've got the results to prove it.

I'm happy to report that, 10 days out from our finish line, I've hit my (revised) goal, plus a little bit more.

Waist: 34-1/4 in.

That's a 1/4 in. of extra loss than my 34-1/2 in. goal, so I'm thrilled. I was worried I wouldn't make it, but--despite setbacks like a bike accident (minor) that left me banged up, and a strained hamstring muscle that curtailed my running--I knuckled down in the home stretch. I can't tell you how many times free, mouth-watering pizza was waved under my nose, and I had to say no.

And from my performance at the gym this morning, the loss of muscle during this effort has been minimal (leg and back strength unaffected, chest and tricep strength down maybe about 5% from my max).

This thread was the key to my success. I've tried to knock down my waist size before, but usually floundered; but the public commitment I made here, and the determination to not let you guys down--as thread starter, I felt like, if I blow it, what does that say to everyone else?--kept me honest. Having an actual tape measure this time, to keep track as I went along so that I could adjust for progress or lack thereof, also made a big difference.

So thanks all! Fat loss is tough for us over-50 types; when I saw the tape measure this morning, I thought, "If I can do this, I can do anything." I'm ready to conquer the world and cure cancer.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 12, 2017, 12:03:18 pm »
Quote from: Altair;203616
Impressive! You've probably been the most regular about checking into the thread, and you've got the results to prove it.

I'm happy to report that, 10 days out from our finish line, I've hit my (revised) goal, plus a little bit more.

Waist: 34-1/4 in.

That's a 1/4 in. of extra loss than my 34-1/2 in. goal, so I'm thrilled. I was worried I wouldn't make it, but--despite setbacks like a bike accident (minor) that left me banged up, and a strained hamstring muscle that curtailed my running--I knuckled down in the home stretch. I can't tell you how many times free, mouth-watering pizza was waved under my nose, and I had to say no.

And from my performance at the gym this morning, the loss of muscle during this effort has been minimal (leg and back strength unaffected, chest and tricep strength down maybe about 5% from my max).

This thread was the key to my success. I've tried to knock down my waist size before, but usually floundered; but the public commitment I made here, and the determination to not let you guys down--as thread starter, I felt like, if I blow it, what does that say to everyone else?--kept me honest. Having an actual tape measure this time, to keep track as I went along so that I could adjust for progress or lack thereof, also made a big difference.

So thanks all! Fat loss is tough for us over-50 types; when I saw the tape measure this morning, I thought, "If I can do this, I can do anything." I'm ready to conquer the world and cure cancer.

Brilliant!  I totally hear you on the commitment thing, the thread has been a huge motivator for me too (I have other goals I do with other groups..same thing, the need to not post bad results pushes me)

Great job reaching your goal...and surpassing it!

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 12, 2017, 12:21:34 pm »
Quote from: Altair;203616

It's actually been a real eye opener for me, not just seeing how things fluctuate from week to week (and along the course of a month), but also seeing those small changes that I wouldn't have noticed otherwise.

I have noticed a bit of difference in the mirror, amusingly not around any of the places I'm measuring!  My neck area seems a bit tighter to me (in a good way), though I may be projecting...but I'll take it!

But I am not sure I would have noticed the other changes, so I probably would have been staring to stop doing things by now normally.  I do know this past week was a reminder of how easy it is to let things slide when I don't have a set workout for a challenge given to me.  I did four days of working out, but didn't do a proper cardio workout.

Also went clothes shopping (needed a new bra...which is always a depressing shopping experience).  There is nothing like trying on a bunch of stuff when most of it makes you look horrible to make you equal parts motivated to be more fit (so that more clothes will actually fit, the selections in my size are often pretty sad) and sort of upset about how you look right now.  It never ceases to amaze me how much horrible clothes there is for non-standard body types (and non-idea sizes....)

And last night I ate a huge dinner (made pulled pork, oven roasted potato slices and oven roasted cauliflower...all tasted good and I put way too much on my plate), then friends came over and I had pizza and half a bottle of wine.  So not my norm though, so I'm not too worried about most of it (though I did remind myself to be more mindful of dinner portions, because I was definitely uncomfortable after dinner).

Measurements this week:
Calf- 17.5
Thigh- 29
Hips- 51
Waist- 40
Bust- 45
Arm- 14.5

Which is down .5 from last week (still haven't sorted out the total number yet, I'll get that figured out by the end of the challenge!)

Sobekemiti

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Per Sebek - The House of Sobek
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Witch, Scribe, Hem-Netjer, Sau Apprentice
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #142 on: March 17, 2017, 10:01:26 am »
Quote from: Kylara;203645
It's actually been a real eye opener for me, not just seeing how things fluctuate from week to week (and along the course of a month), but also seeing those small changes that I wouldn't have noticed otherwise.

Hanging this on here, but ngl, this is the first week I've fallen off the wagon. I blame the ridiculous three-day migraine that wiped me out for a week, so I've basically done nothing since last Saturday. I'm going to fit in something small before bed, I think, maybe some stretches, and try to get at least two workouts in before Equinox, so I can finish on a, well. On a more positive note.
Sobekemiti | Hekatean Witch, Kemetic Orthodox Shemsu, Sobek Devotee | My pronouns are they/she

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 18, 2017, 01:59:41 pm »
Quote from: Sobekemiti;203816
Hanging this on here, but ngl, this is the first week I've fallen off the wagon. I blame the ridiculous three-day migraine that wiped me out for a week, so I've basically done nothing since last Saturday. I'm going to fit in something small before bed, I think, maybe some stretches, and try to get at least two workouts in before Equinox, so I can finish on a, well. On a more positive note.

I hate headache days (which I get on a fairly regular basis..some of which I can work through, some of which not so much).  I do find that deep stretching (long and slow) or some yin yoga (more or less just staying in restorative poses for a while) helps.  Not only does it make me feel a bit better about not doing more strenuous workouts, but the slow, meditative qualities of the movements help me focus inward and sometimes will help lessen the headache (at the very least, they don't make it any worse)

Sobekemiti

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 19, 2017, 09:42:49 am »
Quote from: Kylara;203843
I hate headache days (which I get on a fairly regular basis..some of which I can work through, some of which not so much).  I do find that deep stretching (long and slow) or some yin yoga (more or less just staying in restorative poses for a while) helps.  Not only does it make me feel a bit better about not doing more strenuous workouts, but the slow, meditative qualities of the movements help me focus inward and sometimes will help lessen the headache (at the very least, they don't make it any worse)

Yeah, I find the biggest productivity problem with my migraines is the haze that descends on my mind, and that's usually not up to the task of concentrating on much at all, and it does screw with my balance a bit. It's great for binge-watching stuff, but not so great for achieving anything more than that. And of course some are worse than others, though thankfully not all of them require me to sleep in a dark, quiet room for hours, so that's nice.

That said, I did just stumble across a yogalates routine for headaches, as well as a moon salutation that I can actually do (even with my shoddy balance and tiny space), so I might play around with them to see if they might be more useful for those unproductive days so I'm at least doing something. I've tried tai chi before, as well as some low-impact stretching routines, when I'm dealing with that haze, but I've not been completely happy with them. My brain is weird in what it will consent to do, so sometimes, I just have to let it zone out and get back on track later.
Sobekemiti | Hekatean Witch, Kemetic Orthodox Shemsu, Sobek Devotee | My pronouns are they/she

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 19, 2017, 10:45:28 am »
Quote from: Sobekemiti;203908
Yeah, I find the biggest productivity problem with my migraines is the haze that descends on my mind, and that's usually not up to the task of concentrating on much at all, and it does screw with my balance a bit. It's great for binge-watching stuff, but not so great for achieving anything more than that. And of course some are worse than others, though thankfully not all of them require me to sleep in a dark, quiet room for hours, so that's nice.

That said, I did just stumble across a yogalates routine for headaches, as well as a moon salutation that I can actually do (even with my shoddy balance and tiny space), so I might play around with them to see if they might be more useful for those unproductive days so I'm at least doing something. I've tried tai chi before, as well as some low-impact stretching routines, when I'm dealing with that haze, but I've not been completely happy with them. My brain is weird in what it will consent to do, so sometimes, I just have to let it zone out and get back on track later.

I'm a strange kind of stubborn...I like to prove I can do things (especially when I'm hurting or sick).  But this past year (or so) I've really been working on embracing taking down time when I need it.  I do still push myself sometimes, but I'm also starting to honor when my body needs actual breaks, and doing a lot better with doing 'nothing' (like curling up under a blanket and watching something that makes me feel better...or reading if I can handle it, though as much as reading is a comfort activity for me, depending on my level of mental focus, sometimes when I am hurting I can't manage it)

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 19, 2017, 10:56:36 am »
Quote from: Altair;200447

4) ENJOY THE FRUITS OF YOUR SUCCESS!

I did three solid workouts last week, plus a couple of extra days of little bits here and there (but not a solid 20 minute anything).  And, the workouts I did were the three I planned:  one cardio (zumba this week...my zumba playlist is at 23 minutes now! I keep adding new videos lol), one yoga (big stretching on the legs, which was nice, as those muscles are most likely for me to actually react badly to workouts and tighten up) and then one toning (I did a mix of legs, arms, waist)  It's funny, I've been doing enough toning videos of this one lady I like on youtube that I find myself doing bits of the exercise moves randomly throughout the day.  Not a proper workout, but 10-20 reps of something.

Just did my last measure of this challenge!  

Calf- 17.5
Thigh- 29.5
Hips- 51
Waist- 40.5
Bust- 44.5
Arm- 14

I gave up on trying to figure out what my math issues were (there is one week that I have added up probably 30 times, and if I do it based on the week before I get a loss of 4 inches, but if I do it based on the loss from the start, I get 2 inches, even using a calculator...it was driving me buggy!)  

So, from the start, I lost half an inch everywhere except waist (unchanged) and bust (which is down 2.5!).  I'm really pleased with this.  I also have learned over the course of this challenge how much fluctuation my body has from week to week.  Many of the measurements would flop back and forth by half an inch from week to week.  And of course, around menstruation things got a bit crazier.

I also think this is the longest I've actually stuck to a 3x (or more!) a week workout schedule.  I've done 30 day workout challenges before (and do typically complete them, though I have bailed on one completely around week one), but normally once the challenge is over, and I'm back on my own without a workout being given to me every day, I only manage to make it to my next low energy day, then I just stop.

Building up the habit of not only marking my workouts in my daily tasks, but also having a weekly tracker has been a huge help for me in keeping with it.  And measuring is something I haven't done regularly before, and that was a big motivator too.  Even on weeks where I gained inches, because I then wanted to make sure I got my workouts in so that the next week would show improvement.

Sobekemiti

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 19, 2017, 11:10:16 am »
Quote from: Kylara;203911
I'm a strange kind of stubborn...I like to prove I can do things (especially when I'm hurting or sick).  But this past year (or so) I've really been working on embracing taking down time when I need it.  I do still push myself sometimes, but I'm also starting to honor when my body needs actual breaks, and doing a lot better with doing 'nothing' (like curling up under a blanket and watching something that makes me feel better...or reading if I can handle it, though as much as reading is a comfort activity for me, depending on my level of mental focus, sometimes when I am hurting I can't manage it)

I am with you on the not-good-at-self-care thing. I didn't really accept it as a Thing I was bad at until maybe a year ago, and I've been trying to be more conscious of actually resting when I need to rest, and not just working through it like I normally would. This mostly comes from being reasonably healthy, and not feeling like I can/should rest when I'm sick, because I can still do it. But I am getting better at this, and recognising when I need to rest.

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 20, 2017, 08:59:52 am »
Quote from: Sobekemiti;203915
This mostly comes from being reasonably healthy, and not feeling like I can/should rest when I'm sick, because I can still do it.

This is it for me exactly!  Hubby works (while I don't) and I have several close friends/family who have chronic conditions, so part of my brain always says that other people have it worse, so I should just push on.  It's a work in progress to remind my brain that my needs are just as valid, and that if I need to do less, that is okay (and it doesn't make other people's situations any less serious....I can be tired even if other people are more tired...or equally tired!)

Tags: