Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Sports: Fitness Challenge: Winter 2017  (Read 11848 times)

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Re: Fitness Challenge: Winter 2017
« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2017, 09:55:38 am »
Quote from: Sobekemiti;201310
Yeah, I don't think I helped it any that I started a few days before it was due, so I kicked it into wtf mode until it figured out what was going on. But I've been pmsing for the past week or so, so I knew it was coming at some point. It's just, my body decided that today I needed not just That Time Of The Month, but also A Massive Migraine, so. My day has been glorious, kthnx.

Imma take it easy tomorrow with my workout, because my knees are always crap and wobbly moreso when I am bleeding, so. Maybe some gentle stretching or something idk, or my knee strength one. But we'll see. Either way, it will be a gentle day.

During those days I like doing deep stretching or other slow, easy things.  I have also learned that my body likes ab work around this time (not on my worst days, but definitely the days around it).  I may not push as hard or do as much as normal days, but doing some ab work is helpful to me.

I've actually done some menstrual specific yoga routines that were very nice, and found one that was for headaches (which didn't make the headache go away...but it was enjoyable to do and didn't make things worse!)
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2017, 09:57:07 am »
Quote from: rocquelaire;201287
Just hanging my first check in here. I got a snag in my walking plan. Well, 2 actually. The first and biggest is that I opened up my incision again. Just a bit, no treatment required, but I do have to take it easy because I'm not healing as I should be. Which means less movement until my wound finally closes properly.

The second snag is that my fitness tracker doesn't pick up my steps properly when I'm pushing the pram - which I'm doing any time I leave the house because I have a brand new baby that I can't carry in a sling yet, because of the above. So. That's going to make it more difficult for me to track my step progress. I may need to re-evaluate how I'm going to approach that.

Eating wise, I joined a 7 day kickstart programme, did a couple of hours food prep on Sunday and we've been enjoying some delicious, nutritious food. So that's going well.

Definitely take things easy while you are healing!  Perhaps you can try putting your tracker on your sock/ankle?  or even on your wrist and see if that works?

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2017, 07:08:38 pm »
Quote from: Altair;200483

So my goal for the winter is:

Lose 2 inches off my waistline (from 35-1/2 to 33-1/2).

Since then I've avoided the tape measure in terror, until now.

I finally decided I couldn't put it off any longer, and I had to see how things were progressing, now that we're only a week shy of a month into our challenge. So I took the measurement this morning...

...down half an inch!

BUT I think I might have to revise my goal. I decided to shoot for 33-1/2 based on the false waist sizes promulgated by the lying liars of the men's fashion-industrial complex, when in fact based on my body type (midway between a mesomorph and an endomorph) and my age (53), I think 1 inch (rather than 2) may put me exactly where I want to be, and be a more realistic goal.

I'm still going to shoot for 2 inches, though, in the hopes that will make it a certainty that I achieve 1. So far, so good.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2017, 07:23:53 pm »
Quote from: Altair;200770

So, right now we've got:
Me
Kylara
Noctua
Sobekemiti
Alexeigynaix
Mama Fortuna

...plus Chatelaine, Obsidia & rocquelaire (someday you're going to have to tell me the origin of your Cauldron "handle", R)

I'm delighted to see that virtually everyone has been checking in. GO, TEAM!

We've got just over TWO MONTHS before our target date, the March 21 equinox, so you can look at that as either plenty of time to get on track for that goal of yours, OR the fast-approaching light at the end of the tunnel. Whichever helps you stay on target.

So who has run into a snag they haven't mentioned yet, and how can we help?
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2017, 07:27:07 pm »
Quote from: Alexeigynaix;200870
This works better when my lungs cooperate. /o\

Alexeigynaix (another Cauldron "handle" I'm itching to know the origin of), how are those breathing issues? Fingers crossed your lungs have indeed decided to cooperate.

Sobekemiti

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Per Sebek - The House of Sobek
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Witch, Scribe, Hem-Netjer, Sau Apprentice
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2017, 11:35:58 pm »
Quote from: Altair;201407
...plus Chatelaine, Obsidia & rocquelaire (someday you're going to have to tell me the origin of your Cauldron "handle", R)

I'm delighted to see that virtually everyone has been checking in. GO, TEAM!

We've got just over TWO MONTHS before our target date, the March 21 equinox, so you can look at that as either plenty of time to get on track for that goal of yours, OR the fast-approaching light at the end of the tunnel. Whichever helps you stay on target.

So who has run into a snag they haven't mentioned yet, and how can we help?

No snags yet. Still have today's workout to do, but I'm feeling good. I feel like I have a little more strength in my arms, which is nice. I'm also doing my tai chi-qigong routine every morning during ritual, so I'm still moving every day, even if it isn't a proper workout.

I certainly appreciate having a thread to check in with people. It helps keep me on track. That, and finding workouts I actually want to do. So yeah, things are going well here.
Sobekemiti | Hekatean Witch, Kemetic Orthodox Shemsu, Sobek Devotee | My pronouns are they/she

Alexeigynaix

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2017, 12:32:50 am »
Quote from: Altair;201408
Alexeigynaix (another Cauldron "handle" I'm itching to know the origin of), how are those breathing issues? Fingers crossed your lungs have indeed decided to cooperate.

I'm actually thinking I should hop my goal over to the chronic illness health challenge thread, and scale it down in the process. Or toss the exercise goal entirely, at least till it's springlike, in favor of something that reads more "Cook a week's worth of food every weekend, and then eat those portions, instead of buying entrees out of the grocery store freezer and eating those". Because if 20min of running books from the pile at this end of the room over to the shelves at that end of the room, when it's plenty warm in the room and I can't blame anything on trying to exercise in too-cool air, leaves me messed up... /o\

I mean, I will grant you I have a cold this week and that never plays nicely with asthma, but.

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2017, 11:48:52 am »
Quote from: Altair;201404
Since then I've avoided the tape measure in terror, until now.

I finally decided I couldn't put it off any longer, and I had to see how things were progressing, now that we're only a week shy of a month into our challenge. So I took the measurement this morning...

...down half an inch!

BUT I think I might have to revise my goal. I decided to shoot for 33-1/2 based on the false waist sizes promulgated by the lying liars of the men's fashion-industrial complex, when in fact based on my body type (midway between a mesomorph and an endomorph) and my age (53), I think 1 inch (rather than 2) may put me exactly where I want to be, and be a more realistic goal.

I'm still going to shoot for 2 inches, though, in the hopes that will make it a certainty that I achieve 1. So far, so good.

Good job facing that terror!  I think that sometimes it can be really hard to find that line between realistic and still pushing ourselves.  I like that you kept your original goal, but added a secondary acceptable level!

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2017, 11:49:44 am »
Quote from: Sobekemiti;201421
No snags yet. Still have today's workout to do, but I'm feeling good. I feel like I have a little more strength in my arms, which is nice. I'm also doing my tai chi-qigong routine every morning during ritual, so I'm still moving every day, even if it isn't a proper workout.

I certainly appreciate having a thread to check in with people. It helps keep me on track. That, and finding workouts I actually want to do. So yeah, things are going well here.

Awesome!  I also find that moving every day is helpful in getting me to do longer/proper workouts (and just feel better overall)

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 14, 2017, 11:51:14 am »
Quote from: Alexeigynaix;201422
I'm actually thinking I should hop my goal over to the chronic illness health challenge thread, and scale it down in the process. Or toss the exercise goal entirely, at least till it's springlike, in favor of something that reads more "Cook a week's worth of food every weekend, and then eat those portions, instead of buying entrees out of the grocery store freezer and eating those". Because if 20min of running books from the pile at this end of the room over to the shelves at that end of the room, when it's plenty warm in the room and I can't blame anything on trying to exercise in too-cool air, leaves me messed up... /o\

I mean, I will grant you I have a cold this week and that never plays nicely with asthma, but.

I think it is fine if you do either way (if you want to join the chronic illness health challenge that is awesome, but if you want to change up your goal here, that is great too!)

Having ready made food can be very helpful in eating better.

Noctua

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Blue Star Wicca
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #70 on: January 16, 2017, 04:24:42 pm »
Quote from: Noctua;201252
Checking in with my first week.

Week 2 check-in. I only got two out of the three days in, but that's within my margin of error. ;) Worked out Monday, feeling great, got so overwhelmed during the first week of class that by the time Thursday hit I was still an exhausted mess so I ended up going to bed by 9pm instead of exercising. But! I did get back into it again Saturday, and bumped my weights up too.

Going to get in a short workout once I post this, may have to cut it short since it's my daughter's birthday and she wants sushi for her special day.

rocquelaire

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2017, 04:38:17 am »
Quote from: Kylara;201312
Definitely take things easy while you are healing!  Perhaps you can try putting your tracker on your sock/ankle?  or even on your wrist and see if that works?

My fracker is a Jawbone UP so I wear it in my wrist. I think the problem is that when I'm pushing the pram, my hands are fairly stationary so it doesn't pick up the movement as well as usual.

Food wise, I had a really successful week and I'm already feeling less bloated and uncomfortable. I'm sticking with it this week, at least until the weekend when it's my husband's birthday. Then there will be cake!

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 17, 2017, 09:26:55 am »
Quote from: rocquelaire;201510
My fracker is a Jawbone UP so I wear it in my wrist. I think the problem is that when I'm pushing the pram, my hands are fairly stationary so it doesn't pick up the movement as well as usual.

Food wise, I had a really successful week and I'm already feeling less bloated and uncomfortable. I'm sticking with it this week, at least until the weekend when it's my husband's birthday. Then there will be cake!

Could you perhaps wear it on your ankle?  Or loop the strap onto a beltloop or something?  Not familiar with Jawbone UP, so not sure exactly what would work

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 17, 2017, 09:27:34 am »
Quote from: Noctua;201496
Week 2 check-in. I only got two out of the three days in, but that's within my margin of error. ;) Worked out Monday, feeling great, got so overwhelmed during the first week of class that by the time Thursday hit I was still an exhausted mess so I ended up going to bed by 9pm instead of exercising. But! I did get back into it again Saturday, and bumped my weights up too.

Going to get in a short workout once I post this, may have to cut it short since it's my daughter's birthday and she wants sushi for her special day.

Birthday sushi is important!

Good job getting two workouts in....it's so hard when you have a lot going on :)

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 17, 2017, 09:32:52 am »
Quote from: Noctua;201496
Week 2 check-in.

Managed to do yoga every day...including Sunday, which is the hardest day for me because my day is shorter (I stay up late and sleep in, but then have to get up Monday, plus we clean house and have an online gaming engagement...so most of my day is tied up already)  Yoga Challenge has actually had more quick/hard days this week, so that was good!

This week's measurements:
Calf- 17.5
Thigh- 29
Hips- 51
Waist- 41
Bust- 44
Arm- 14.5
Difference from last week:  -2 (Total -3.5)  This is one thing I find unreliable about measurements sometimes....according to the tape measure (and my probably highly inaccurate measuring), my waist gained an inch and bust lost two....which is a strange change for a week.  But mainly I use the measuring as my own version of accountability (if I don't measure I can pretend everything is always the same...and ignore the slow downhill changes)

Tags: