Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Sports: Fitness Challenge: Winter 2017  (Read 11844 times)

Sobekemiti

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Per Sebek - The House of Sobek
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Witch, Scribe, Hem-Netjer, Sau Apprentice
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Re: Fitness Challenge: Winter 2017
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2016, 08:38:51 am »
Quote from: Sobekemiti;200590

And making myself accountable here will help, too. I've done weekly check-ins for writing communities before, and it does help. So I'm hoping this will help me stick with it, too.

So I've set my workout days for Thursday, Saturday, and Monday, and I've now written them in my diary up til the equinox. It might seem like an odd selection of days, but I work (volunteer work) Tuesday and Wednesday, and I don't want to have to try to remember to exercise if it's been a busy day and I'm already exhausted. I want to give myself the best chance to succeed at this.
Sobekemiti | Hekatean Witch, Kemetic Orthodox Shemsu, Sobek Devotee | My pronouns are they/she

Noctua

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Blue Star Wicca
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2016, 09:05:32 am »
Quote from: Sobekemiti;200602
So I've set my workout days for Thursday, Saturday, and Monday, and I've now written them in my diary up til the equinox. It might seem like an odd selection of days, but I work (volunteer work) Tuesday and Wednesday, and I don't want to have to try to remember to exercise if it's been a busy day and I'm already exhausted. I want to give myself the best chance to succeed at this.

I don't think it's odd- in fact I'll probably end up doing the same days when my semester starts mid-January. Tuesday and Wednesday are my practicum days, and I know I'd be setting myself up to fail if I try to exercise after that.

So I found my old fitness log from way back when. My first entry was back in May of 2008 and shows my starting weight and measurements. I was honestly shocked and disappointed to find they match my current weight and measurements almost exactly- I knew I had let myself go a bit but didn't realize I was right back where I had started. The good news at least is that I also have records from when I was at my smallest, just one year later- in that one year I'd lost 20 pounds, and took 4 inches off my waist and 6 off my hips. It's kinda weird to restart in a book I'd last used in 2010, but it's also helpful to see the actual numbers and know that I've done it before so I can definitely do it again.

Alexeigynaix

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2016, 09:47:36 am »
Quote from: Altair;200447
1) Set your goal. Things to consider when you do--

• Evaluate where you are now and what would be a good place for you, personally, to be fitness-wise.

• Make sure the goal is achievable. If you've never done a pushup, don't set your goal as "bench press 300 pounds in the next 3 months," because then you're just setting yourself up to fail. Yes, it should be challenging--whatever that means for you--but give yourself a reasonable chance at success, so that when you win, you can build on that for the next goal, and the next.

• Make sure the goal is measurable. No, not "feel better in the morning." Something like "lose 10 pounds and keep it off"...and guess what? If you achieve a measurable goal, odds are you'll feel better in the morning, too. (But maybe a little sore the first couple of mornings. In a good way.)
2) Announce the goal in this thread to all us lovely people. We'll egg you on and keep you honest. Promise!

3) Check in to this thread regularly to let us know how you're doing. At least once a week, people!

and best of all

4) ENJOY THE FRUITS OF YOUR SUCCESS!

Okay, here goes nothing.

Goal pt 1: Figure out a free indoors exercise varietal that I am willing to do. (This is probably going to involve, after I get my freaking living room clean, experimenting with a bunch of exercise Youtubes on my laptop. --I wonder if there's Irish-dance-for-beginners exercise Youtubes?)

Goal pt 2: Do that thing at least twice a week.

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2017, 12:59:27 pm »
Quote from: Alexeigynaix;200607
Okay, here goes nothing.

Goal pt 1: Figure out a free indoors exercise varietal that I am willing to do. (This is probably going to involve, after I get my freaking living room clean, experimenting with a bunch of exercise Youtubes on my laptop. --I wonder if there's Irish-dance-for-beginners exercise Youtubes?)

Goal pt 2: Do that thing at least twice a week.

I have come to the opinion that you can find anything on youtube if you search long enough!  But I would definitely think there would be some beginners Irish Dance videos!

If not having space is an issue, you can start with 'clean living room' as your twice a week thing until you have space!  That will help you get the habit of doing something and get your space cleaned too!
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2017, 01:00:59 pm »
Quote from: Altair;200581

The other thing I'm doing to keep me on track is adding a reward: When I hit my goal, I'm going out and buying a new pair of sweatpants. This sounds pathetic, I know, but I want a carrot hanging in front of me as well as a stick. If When I hit my goal, I'll want to flaunt what I've got, and a flattering pair of sweatpants for the gym (as opposed to the baggies I tend to wear) are just the thing.

I don't think it's pathetic at all!  Sometimes it is really simple things that are deeply motivating...and nothing is better for a fitness goal than something that actually encourages more fitness!

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2017, 02:48:10 pm »
Quote from: Sobekemiti;200602

I don't think it's odd at all.  I always try to arrange the things I can do on any day around the things that need to be done on a certain day.  And it can be really defeating to try to do workouts on top of an already busy day!

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2017, 06:43:08 pm »
Quote from: Altair;200581
Friends convinced me to join them last night for a crazy "Nutcracker Rouge" burlesque show in Brooklyn, and one of the performers, Todd Hanebrink (you can google him, but have a drool cup ready) was nearly naked onstage and rocking my world. Good inspiration to keep me on track.

As a performer and producer, this makes me happy.

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2017, 06:53:39 pm »

• Evaluate where you are now and what would be a good place for you, personally, to be fitness-wise.

• Make sure the goal is achievable. If you've never done a pushup, don't set your goal as "bench press 300 pounds in the next 3 months," because then you're just setting yourself up to fail. Yes, it should be challenging--whatever that means for you--but give yourself a reasonable chance at success, so that when you win, you can build on that for the next goal, and the next.

• Make sure the goal is measurable. No, not "feel better in the morning." Something like "lose 10 pounds and keep it off"...and guess what? If you achieve a measurable goal, odds are you'll feel better in the morning, too. (But maybe a little sore the first couple of mornings. In a good way.)
2) Announce the goal in this thread to all us lovely people. We'll egg you on and keep you honest. Promise!

3) Check in to this thread regularly to let us know how you're doing. At least once a week, people!

and best of all

END DATE for this iteration of the Fitness Challenge: March 21, 2017.

(The spring equinox, about 3 months from now. That will give us most of the winter, even after the inevitable gluttony and slacking of the holiday season, to get our act together.)

Shout out your goals here now, folks! No shaming, just tough love--as in "YOU set this goal; now we're going to see to it that you stick to it."

I'm here! Had to seriously consider what were goals that I could actually measure.

So, okay, here's the goals:

- Exercise at least three times a week. This means core/arms/butt. At least one of these exercise slots has to involve free weights.

- Stretching/yoga three times a week.

- Running when weather permits. (Currently the sidewalks are icy as fuck, so we'll see what develops.)

- Come February, sign up for Dance Bootcamp again. Attend ALL classes unless deathly ill or injured. This does not count towards the three-times-a-week exercise.

- Only drink three times a week. (My sister and I love wine and cocktails, but it's so much sugar, ugh.)

I figure that should get me to the equinox pretty well, and then I can reassess what else needs to change.

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2017, 09:54:32 pm »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;200769
I'm here! Had to seriously consider what were goals that I could actually measure.

So, okay, here's the goals:

- Exercise at least three times a week. This means core/arms/butt. At least one of these exercise slots has to involve free weights.

- Stretching/yoga three times a week.

- Running when weather permits. (Currently the sidewalks are icy as fuck, so we'll see what develops.)

- Come February, sign up for Dance Bootcamp again. Attend ALL classes unless deathly ill or injured. This does not count towards the three-times-a-week exercise.

- Only drink three times a week. (My sister and I love wine and cocktails, but it's so much sugar, ugh.)

I figure that should get me to the equinox pretty well, and then I can reassess what else needs to change.

Welcome, MF!

This strikes me as very ambitious; workouts 3x/wk PLUS stretching/yoga 3x/wk PLUS all Dance Bootcamp classes PLUS running as weather permits. Only you can say if this is achievable in your world (personally, I don't know where I'd find the time!)...I'm just suggesting taking a second look to confirm that it's right for you.

So, right now we've got:
Me
Kylara
Noctua
Sobekemiti
Alexeigynaix
Mama Fortuna

FRIENDLY REMINDER: The holidays are OVER, people! No more excuse for crappy eating. I just gave away a box of holiday candies that I simply do NOT need hanging around here right now.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2017, 10:33:15 pm »
Quote from: Altair;200770
Welcome, MF!

This strikes me as very ambitious; workouts 3x/wk PLUS stretching/yoga 3x/wk PLUS all Dance Bootcamp classes PLUS running as weather permits. Only you can say if this is achievable in your world (personally, I don't know where I'd find the time!)...I'm just suggesting taking a second look to confirm that it's right for you.

That is an excellent suggestion, and I thank you for it. Still gonna go for it - bootcamp's not until February, and it's only once a week. As for the rest of it, I won't be doing hour long workouts every day - the pilates routines I'm planning on average about ten minutes long. I'm a Libra, I'm lazy.

I'm lucky in that I have fixed work hours five days a week, sitting on my ass making cartoons, so that makes it generally pretty easy to schedule my time. But if I crash and burn you guys will be the first to hear about it. XD

FRIENDLY REMINDER: The holidays are OVER, people! No more excuse for crappy eating. I just gave away a box of holiday candies that I simply do NOT need hanging around here right now.

Ugggggggghhhhhh I knowwww. I applaud your willpower, I so would have eaten it.

rocquelaire

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2017, 04:33:44 am »

Here's how it works:

and best of all

OK, I'm in. I had to really think about this one because I wanted to set crazy goals. It was hard to look honestly at where I am and set realistic goals.

I developed Pelvic Girdle Pain during my pregnancy and by the end walking, or even standing for long, was becoming increasingly difficult and I lost a lot of ground with my fitness. My pelvis is recovering now, but slowly. I'm also suffering from some complications from the c-section. So I have to take it slow. My lack of ability at the moment is really frustrating me. Plus I have three kids to run about after.

So, my goal for the next three months is to work back up to 12,000 steps a day. I'm also hoping to get back to the gym but that relies on my wound healing and is somewhat outside my control.

I also want to eat in a way that supports my overall health and in particular will support the healing that I need right now.

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2017, 07:42:05 am »
Quote from: rocquelaire;200781
OK, I'm in.

Excellent, Rocquelaire!

So, my goal for the next three months is to work back up to 12,000 steps a day. I'm also hoping to get back to the gym but that relies on my wound healing and is somewhat outside my control.

I like the specificity of that. You've got a target number to hit.

I also want to eat in a way that supports my overall health and in particular will support the healing that I need right now.

Another excellent goal. Can you itemize that in some fashion, to give it similar solid specificity as your goal above?
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

rocquelaire

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2017, 11:44:47 am »
Quote from: Altair;200784
Another excellent goal. Can you itemize that in some fashion, to give it similar solid specificity as your goal above?

For me, this means eating something resembling a paleo diet. So, lots of fresh, whole foods with very little processed or pre-made food. I'm thinking about signing up for a 9 week program called The Happy Body Formula. I'm just deciding whether or not I can afford it right now. Of course, if I stop eating junk I'll probably have more money to spare!

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox Christian
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2017, 07:48:53 am »
Quote from: Altair;200770

Speak for yourself! My holidays are not over until the 6th! :D:

I'll give this another shot, with a single modest goal: a minimum of 30 minutes of yoga practice, at least 3 times a week. My schedule doesn't allow me to attend classes, so I need the commitment to practise on my own, at home
'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
~St Augustine~
Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2017, 08:40:44 am »
Quote from: Chatelaine;200862
Speak for yourself! My holidays are not over until the 6th! :D:

I'll give this another shot, with a single modest goal: a minimum of 30 minutes of yoga practice, at least 3 times a week. My schedule doesn't allow me to attend classes, so I need the commitment to practise on my own, at home

You can do it!  

I actually completely forgot that I had signed up for a (free) 31 day yoga challenge that started on the first.....and I almost skimped on it (fighting the tail end of a cold), but I saw that she was starting easy, so I went for it...will be doing day 3 today!

Tags: