Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Sports: Fitness Challenge: Winter 2017  (Read 11846 times)

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: Fitness Challenge: Winter 2017
« Reply #105 on: February 14, 2017, 11:33:45 pm »
Quote from: Noctua;202596
So I wanted to apologize for falling off the map

No apologies required--you're here, and our mutual efforts are still very much under way.

And as for not necessarily doing exactly what we'd planned...well, for me today: Valentine's Day. An office filled with donuts, cookies, chocolate...then the chocolates I bought myself (by longstanding tradition, I get myself a Valentine's gift each year; because if I don't love me, who else will?), and then tonight's V-Day counterprogramming by having a friend over for pizza and ice cream.

So yeah. Not exactly dietetic.

I think I feel a 5-mile run coming on for tomorrow morning!
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

sevensons

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 15, 2017, 02:11:43 am »
Quote from: Kylara;202646
Sounds like you got some exercise in (even if it wasn't a 'traditional' workout!)

I find that on days where I am out on my feet for a good chunk of the day I can get by with a lighter workout, something that is more stretchy like an easy yoga day.  Or something that is fun but not as strenuous.

And sometimes, life just doesn't give you time to add more in!  Way to not give up!

I just go for a few miles walking each day with my dog what efficient way to be fit.
Awaken myself alive and well loving to start learning today ahead a challenge set by the Gods. Haven't

Instagram stevejomac

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #107 on: February 15, 2017, 10:13:06 am »
Quote from: sevensons;202685
I just go for a few miles walking each day with my dog what efficient way to be fit.

A great way to make getting exercise more enjoyable!
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 15, 2017, 10:16:55 am »
Quote from: Altair;202680
No apologies required--you're here, and our mutual efforts are still very much under way.

And as for not necessarily doing exactly what we'd planned...well, for me today: Valentine's Day. An office filled with donuts, cookies, chocolate...then the chocolates I bought myself (by longstanding tradition, I get myself a Valentine's gift each year; because if I don't love me, who else will?), and then tonight's V-Day counterprogramming by having a friend over for pizza and ice cream.

So yeah. Not exactly dietetic.

I think I feel a 5-mile run coming on for tomorrow morning!

Diet is one of the places that I sort of don't go crazy with.  I've learned a long time ago that trying to tell myself I must (or can't) eat certain things doesn't work so well for me.  I just try to go with being mindful about what I do eat, and do my best to eat mostly healthy.  My biggest eating struggle is not overeating at one sitting (I am a grazer though, so even more important that I don't eat huge meals).

I think a certain amount of leeway is needed for holidays/special occasions!  One day isn't so bad, if your regular habits are good.  But doing a bit of extra exercise because you want to indulge is a good mindset too!

Alexeigynaix

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 19, 2017, 08:14:13 pm »
Quote from: Alexeigynaix;200607
Goal pt 1: Figure out a free indoors exercise varietal that I am willing to do. (This is probably going to involve, after I get my freaking living room clean, experimenting with a bunch of exercise Youtubes on my laptop. --I wonder if there's Irish-dance-for-beginners exercise Youtubes?)

Goal pt 2: Do that thing at least twice a week.

Hi I am fail. I have still not gone looking for appropriate Youtubes and I have still not got my living room clean enough for the Youtubes to mean anything. It will be clean and vacuumed before March rolls around (we are messing with my meds again and ohai motivation where have you been all my life), but that's a little late for this particular challenge to mean anything.

I did, totally on impulse because come on it was 70F out today and that's got to be good for something, go walk a lap of the county park. And then flopped in my computer chair for five hours and counting, even though my plan had been to do more cleaning. One mile! One dinky lil mile! And I took my inhaler first! And oww. My calves are unhappy and the soles of my feet are most displeased.

For context, in recent years I have walked 5Ks without bothering to spend preceding weeks getting in shape for the 5K, because I might not have been in shape but I wasn't out of shape either. And the after of that particular fool move usually sucked, but it didn't suck like today.

Feh. FEH, I say.

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 20, 2017, 02:58:38 pm »
Quote from: Alexeigynaix;202908

Feh. FEH, I say.

What's that proverb?--the longest journey begins with a single step.

You took that step: You walked that mile. So pat yourself on the back for that.

Me? I spent the last 24 hours sitting on my ass in the dark eating popcorn, Funyuns, peanut M&Ms, Coke, Raisinettes, more popcorn, more Coke, frosted cherry pop-tarts, and Peppridge Farms Brussels cookies at Boston's annual sci-fi movie marathon. It was planned (it's my junk food weekend every year, ending with me so disgusted that it's easier to pass on the crap the rest of the year).

5-mile run tomorrow morning!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 03:00:33 pm by Altair »
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 20, 2017, 03:42:32 pm »
Quote from: Alexeigynaix;202908
Hi I am fail. I have still not gone looking for appropriate Youtubes and I have still not got my living room clean enough for the Youtubes to mean anything. It will be clean and vacuumed before March rolls around (we are messing with my meds again and ohai motivation where have you been all my life), but that's a little late for this particular challenge to mean anything.

I did, totally on impulse because come on it was 70F out today and that's got to be good for something, go walk a lap of the county park. And then flopped in my computer chair for five hours and counting, even though my plan had been to do more cleaning. One mile! One dinky lil mile! And I took my inhaler first! And oww. My calves are unhappy and the soles of my feet are most displeased.

For context, in recent years I have walked 5Ks without bothering to spend preceding weeks getting in shape for the 5K, because I might not have been in shape but I wasn't out of shape either. And the after of that particular fool move usually sucked, but it didn't suck like today.

Feh. FEH, I say.

I think it can be really easy to overdo it, especially if you are used to being relatively fit.

But finding motivation and still feeling the drive to make a change is a good thing!

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 20, 2017, 03:52:20 pm »
Quote from: Altair;200447
Check in

Well, I made my overall goal last week, did 6 days of good workouts (about 20 min each, mix of cardio and toning).  Missed one day in the challenge I am doing (21 day challenge, there are suggested workouts each day), it was the 'pick your own workout' day, and I had tons of stuff going on.  Ended up doing a two hour lunch with mom-in-law, then hubby got me into doing stuff on the computer, and I knew I had wanted to get in a workout (had already picked it out and everything), and as dinner time rolled closer and we still weren't done with what we were doing, and I was getting pretty cranky at it...I decided to go ahead and not workout that day, because I had done very well the rest of the week and it was just really wrecking my attitude.

Sometimes it can be very frustrating for me, hubby typically is very supportive of anything I decide I want to do...but he is absolutely horrid at remembering that I have things I want to do at particular times.  So he'll decide we should do something and forget that I had other plans.  Most of the time I'll remind him, but of course sometimes what should only take 30 minutes ends up taking 2 hours, so I thought I'd have time and end up getting behind, and he doesn't always understand why I'm as unhappy about how long things take.

But, all that aside, it was a pretty good week for me, plenty of sore muscles but nothing too sore to be actually painful most days.

Measurements for last week:
calf- 17.5
thigh- 29.5
hips- 51
waist- 40.5
bust- 46
arm- 14.5

overall gain of 1.5 inches, which still puts me down from the start of the year.  Not too worried about this, was actually pretty happy to see a slight lowering around the waist (as that has been pretty unchanging since the start).

Noctua

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Blue Star Wicca
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #113 on: February 21, 2017, 10:45:21 am »
Quote from: Kylara;202941
Check in.

Well I didn't get any formal workouts this week but I did do stuff in my garden Saturday and Sunday. Took down the peach tree that has failed to yield any peaches and only attracted oriental fruit moths 4 years running (it will be replaced with an apple), got the second of my four veg beds ready and started my cool weather seeds, but the biggest work was when I started digging the hole for my planned in-ground firepit. Which I then discovered halfway through digging that when I'd called the utilities to mark out my underground lines they were off by about 5 feet, and the line actually ran right through the center of my hole. So a quick run to the hardware store got me drainage stone to fill that hole with instead, and now I'm building an above-ground firepit.

Oh this is the start of cookie season as well so my Friday was spent hauling about 30 cases of cookies to my co-leader's car for the booth sales.

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 21, 2017, 11:33:30 am »
Quote from: Noctua;203009
Well I didn't get any formal workouts this week but I did do stuff in my garden Saturday and Sunday. Took down the peach tree that has failed to yield any peaches and only attracted oriental fruit moths 4 years running (it will be replaced with an apple), got the second of my four veg beds ready and started my cool weather seeds, but the biggest work was when I started digging the hole for my planned in-ground firepit. Which I then discovered halfway through digging that when I'd called the utilities to mark out my underground lines they were off by about 5 feet, and the line actually ran right through the center of my hole. So a quick run to the hardware store got me drainage stone to fill that hole with instead, and now I'm building an above-ground firepit.

Oh this is the start of cookie season as well so my Friday was spent hauling about 30 cases of cookies to my co-leader's car for the booth sales.

Gardening can definitely be a back-breaking workout. Cookies, on the other hand, are Satan's waistline-destroying unholy hand grenades.

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 21, 2017, 11:35:38 am »
Quote from: Kylara;202941
Well, I made my overall goal last week, did 6 days of good workouts (about 20 min each, mix of cardio and toning).  Missed one day in the challenge I am doing (21 day challenge, there are suggested workouts each day), it was the 'pick your own workout' day, and I had tons of stuff going on.  Ended up doing a two hour lunch with mom-in-law, then hubby got me into doing stuff on the computer, and I knew I had wanted to get in a workout (had already picked it out and everything), and as dinner time rolled closer and we still weren't done with what we were doing, and I was getting pretty cranky at it...I decided to go ahead and not workout that day, because I had done very well the rest of the week and it was just really wrecking my attitude.

Sometimes it can be very frustrating for me, hubby typically is very supportive of anything I decide I want to do...but he is absolutely horrid at remembering that I have things I want to do at particular times.  So he'll decide we should do something and forget that I had other plans.  Most of the time I'll remind him, but of course sometimes what should only take 30 minutes ends up taking 2 hours, so I thought I'd have time and end up getting behind, and he doesn't always understand why I'm as unhappy about how long things take.

But, all that aside, it was a pretty good week for me, plenty of sore muscles but nothing too sore to be actually painful most days.

Measurements for last week:
calf- 17.5
thigh- 29.5
hips- 51
waist- 40.5
bust- 46
arm- 14.5

overall gain of 1.5 inches, which still puts me down from the start of the year.  Not too worried about this, was actually pretty happy to see a slight lowering around the waist (as that has been pretty unchanging since the start).

Nice results, Kylara! And well-earned, because I think you may have been the most diligent of us all...so far.

And I say "so far" because we've got ONE MONTH TO GO, PEOPLE! Plenty of time yet, but time to get serious and FOCUS.

Noctua

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Blue Star Wicca
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #116 on: February 21, 2017, 08:23:43 pm »
Quote from: Altair;203014
Gardening can definitely be a back-breaking workout. Cookies, on the other hand, are Satan's waistline-destroying unholy hand grenades.

So far, amazingly enough, no one in my home has seemed to notice the fact that we haven't ordered any cookies for us to eat ourselves. I have 16 boxes sitting next to my door ready for delivery at my school, and haven't heard a peep about which are ours. I wonder how long that will last . . .

To be honest I'll probably be the one to break down first. The new S'mores cookies are too damn good.

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 22, 2017, 10:44:12 am »
Quote from: Noctua;203009

That is a lot of cookies....when I first read that I thought you were baking them all!  Glad you found the underground line before you literally ran into it!  Sounds like a lot of work in the yard.

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 22, 2017, 10:45:17 am »
Quote from: Altair;203016
Nice results, Kylara! And well-earned, because I think you may have been the most diligent of us all...so far.

And I say "so far" because we've got ONE MONTH TO GO, PEOPLE! Plenty of time yet, but time to get serious and FOCUS.

This group has been a huge help in keeping me on track....I always do better when I have to tell other people I didn't do something lol

And yes, still one month to go, keep up the good work everyone!

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 28, 2017, 08:19:00 am »
Quote from: Altair;200447
Check in

Last week was rough...hubby and son got a stomach bug at the start of the week, then I got sick at the end of the week, so did my workouts for the first four days of the week then took it easy and recuperated.  It was also one of those rare occasions where I didn't want food at all of any kind (which is definitely unusual for me, even when I'm sick I want food, in fact normally when I don't feel well food is what I turn to for comfort).  So I ate very light for a couple of days.

But measurements were okay actually:
calf- 17
thigh- 30
hips- 50
waist- 40.5
bust- 45.5
arm- 14

down another 2 inches since last week!  Noting that my gain last week came a week earlier in my personal cycle, but still thinking there is a connection there....definitely something I'm going to be interested in tracking in the months to come (because I've decided to keep up with the measuring all year...I don't have a scale, so this will help keep me mindful of what is going on with my body)

Got back into working out on Sunday, so I am happy that I didn't let this get me off my groove (which also tends to happen, when I have a couple of days where I can't workout, that is where I often loose my momentum and just stop)

Tags: