collapse

Author Topic: Do these sound like any Gods you know of?  (Read 1781 times)

anethara

• Jr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Do these sound like any Gods you know of?
« on: December 23, 2016, 04:19:11 pm »
Hi so, sorry for the stupid question, if anyone can recommend anywhere to start looking for myself I'd really appreciate that too!

I've been praying for a while, and I've always believed there are many Gods. I didn't know who I praying to but I just needed to pray.

Anyway, I had a strange dream (I know, I don't believe I was actually contacted by these Gods, but I know if they fit any Gods I really want to look into them). There was a vengeful and punishing sea/water Goddess with long brown-blue hair and four arms, killing me by drowning me, bringing me back, drowning me again, etc. It was kind of a game. She invoked a lot of fear. She was also very beautiful.

It stopped and I woke up in peace by a very calm male God, I feel almost like the one I've been praying to (although that's ridiculously improbable and an assumption), just saying "Enough." at the end of the dream. I didn't see him, or know where he was coming from, it sounded like it was from the sky maybe.

So I just guess, do these two Gods in my dream (that I'm sure are a figment of my imagination!) sound like any Gods you know of? If so, who are they similar to please?

Thanks for reading!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 04:23:30 pm by anethara »

Megatherium

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Heathen(ish)
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: Do these sound like any Gods you know of?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 07:00:00 pm »
Quote from: anethara;200442
Hi so, sorry for the stupid question, if anyone can recommend anywhere to start looking for myself I'd really appreciate that too!

I've been praying for a while, and I've always believed there are many Gods. I didn't know who I praying to but I just needed to pray.

Anyway, I had a strange dream (I know, I don't believe I was actually contacted by these Gods, but I know if they fit any Gods I really want to look into them). There was a vengeful and punishing sea/water Goddess with long brown-blue hair and four arms, killing me by drowning me, bringing me back, drowning me again, etc. It was kind of a game. She invoked a lot of fear. She was also very beautiful.

It stopped and I woke up in peace by a very calm male God, I feel almost like the one I've been praying to (although that's ridiculously improbable and an assumption), just saying "Enough." at the end of the dream. I didn't see him, or know where he was coming from, it sounded like it was from the sky maybe.

So I just guess, do these two Gods in my dream (that I'm sure are a figment of my imagination!) sound like any Gods you know of? If so, who are they similar to please?

Thanks for reading!

There is a figure in Norse traditions which has some passing similarity to the first Goddess you mentioned.

Ran, the name of this Goddess/Giantess, was understood to be associated with the sea. People who drowned at sea were often said to go to "Ran's Halls". Ran was/is considered to be the wife of Aegir, a deity/Giant depicted as male who is also associated with the ocean. Aegir is mentioned in the Lokasenna (old Norse poem) as holding a feast for the Gods.

It is difficult to say to what extent Aegir and Ran were worshipped by historical Heathen groups. While Gods and Goddesses were considered to be powerful beings who were willing to (sometimes) interact with humans in a positive fashion, there were also a whole host of other beings, some of which were/are referred to as "Jotuns" (the above mentioned idea of Aegir and Ran as "Giants" in part derives from the difficulty of accurately translating this concept into English). Some Jotuns could be considered hostile, some indifferent, some, potentially as helpful (as mentioned Aegir has a good relationship with the Gods in at least one story).

It is possible that Aegir and Ran were worshipped historically, it is possible they were simply given gifts in order to avoid offending them, and it is possible they were simply feared and not interacted with in terms of any formal religious ritual. It is also possible that all three methods of interacting with them were utilized in different places and times.(Njord is a norse God associated with the sea who had/has a more unambiguously helpful relationship with humans).

Since drowning was associated with Ran, there may be some connection with the figure from the first part of your dream. You may find a bit more information about her at the following links:

http://norse-mythology.org/gods-and-creatures/giants/aegir-and-ran/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%C3%A1n
My views are one that speaks to freedom.
-George W. Bush

Cabal

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Belgae Polytheism
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2016, 01:45:39 am »

Thanks for reading!
The Goddess to me sounds familiar to the Hindu goddess Kali.
"In Hell, everybody loves popcorn."

Gaudior

• Journeyman
  • Moladh BrĂ­d
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Clann Bhride, Zen Buddhism
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2016, 06:14:54 pm »

Thanks for reading!

While not a Goddess, your description kind of reminded me of a Fuath, a hateful water spirit known in Scotland and Ireland.

I am not sure about the God, however.
I talk to plants.

Tags: