Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Health: Exercise  (Read 4215 times)

Alexeigynaix

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Exercise
« on: December 20, 2016, 10:09:57 pm »
I feel like there's some magic trick out there that makes regular exercise plausible, but everything I read on the subject might as well be written in Cyrillic or Sanskrit instead of English for how clearly it conveys to me the mechanism by which one accomplishes the magic.

And, you know, aside from all the obvious reasons I should regularly exercise (this message brought to you by my trying to stretch the kinks out of my sedentary spine and going OWWWW), I have the increasingly distinct impression Athena wants me in better health for reasons of Her own. So if I could figure out how to work this magic of regular exercise--without spending money--that would be a Very Good Thing.

I've already thought of treating exercise as devotion to Athena. Occasionally that thought even gets me moving.

Anyone got advice? :)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 02:40:35 pm by RandallS »

MeadowRae

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pantheist Pagan Witch with Celtic Leanings
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/He/She
Re: Exercise
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 01:54:20 am »
Quote from: Alexeigynaix;200322
I feel like there's some magic trick out there that makes regular exercise plausible, but everything I read on the subject might as well be written in Cyrillic or Sanskrit instead of English for how clearly it conveys to me the mechanism by which one accomplishes the magic.

And, you know, aside from all the obvious reasons I should regularly exercise (this message brought to you by my trying to stretch the kinks out of my sedentary spine and going OWWWW), I have the increasingly distinct impression Athena wants me in better health for reasons of Her own. So if I could figure out how to work this magic of regular exercise--without spending money--that would be a Very Good Thing.

I've already thought of treating exercise as devotion to Athena. Occasionally that thought even gets me moving.

As someone who lost a good deal of weight in the past, I would say to start where you are and accept where you are. That was the most important step for me. I could only walk on an elliptical 15 minutes, but I went and did that, anyway.

Next step is consistency. You will need to do something about seven weeks before it becomes normal to you. Be patient. Find ways to make it pleasant. (Listen to music. Treat yourself to a warm bath afterwards.)

In terms of actual activities, walking and running are free if you have a place to do them. When I was pregnant and unable to do my regular exercise routine I would look up ten minute yoga videos on YouTube. When I was in really good shape I looked up High Intensity Interval Training workouts using only body weight on YouTube. Good luck on your journey!
The genderqueer witch your mother warned you about

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 02:14:09 am »

Apparently, a habit takes six weeks to either set in place or get rid of, which would explain the importance that 40-day periods have traditionally had. Something clicks and it all becomes a lot easier past that mark. Find something you enjoy doing, set a realistic practice schedule, and get someone to keep you accountable. A workout buddy is the most fun, but since you already have back problems, you might want to consider a personal trainer to get you into the groove.
'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
~St Augustine~
Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

Noctua

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Blue Star Wicca
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 11:31:25 am »

I got into shape some years ago, losing about 50 pounds. Although I did end up buying a few pieces of exercise gear eventually (freeweights and a pullup bar) when I started it was all with bodyweight and what I had laying around. First off- weight lifting exercises, in my experience, give the most bang for your buck. Not only will building muscle help you feel better and reduce your overall level of pain (stronger muscle helps to stabilize the skeletal system and joints) but muscle cells use up more calories than other cells in your body, so with more muscle you burn more calories even at rest. Weight lifting also has the advantage that it takes less time to burn more calories when you do it, and pretty much requires you to take a rest day between so you only work out 3 days a week.

You don't need freeweights starting out- you can actually get a good starter workout with stuff you have laying around. Water is actually pretty heavy, so a gallon jug full of water makes a good starter kettlebell and 1-liter bottles make good dumbbells. Books are also heavy, if a little more awkward to use- but they can be good for certain exercises like situps (doing a situp while holding a dictionary on your chest is pretty brutal) and put into a backpack can also sub as a kettlebell for deadlifts or worn on the back for squats.

I know I've just thrown out the names of a few exercises that you're probably scratching your head on. This link will give you a complete list of exercises, grouped by muscle/area of the body. It also has a gif on each exercise showing the proper form. You want to stick to the exercises that work as many muscles at one time as possible- these exercises are listed in bold font when you select a body part. So for example when you click "Shoulders" under dumbbell you'll see "Shoulder Press" in bold, that's the one you want to do because it works the largest number of muscles at one time.

Honestly there's so much more that I don't have time to go into, so I'll just give you a link that was awesome to me when I first started out. Best to ya.

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 01:55:19 pm »

I've belonged to gyms in the past, and I can say I personally never got as much out of them as I did doing free shit. These days the only thing I shell out cash for is dance related programs. (Dance Foundations Bootcamp is my jam.)

Me? I run. When I was going to the gym, I never touched the treadmill because I hated it, but I took up running outside instead and that's when I cancelled my gym membership. I was extremely lucky because at the time I was living close to Stanley Park in Vancouver, so I could run along the seawall or take the paths through the forest. Being outside in nature was a huge motivator for me. Running outdoors also made me feel less self conscious than I did at the YMCA. (And I didn't have to hear grunting dudes every thirty seconds.)

Also free and easy to do at home? Yoga and pilates. Youtube is full of videos. You've also got pushups and lunges and squats and planks - any exercise where you can use your own body weight. Other people have already listed way more in-depth stuff that is very helpful.

I'm actually almost back at square one in terms of exercise - October is the busiest month of the year for me, and as a consequence I let my routine lapse. That's the shitty thing about exercise - like others have said, it takes months to establish the habit... and only a week or two to frock it up completely. So now I've spent the last few weeks trying to get back into a proper routine, which is hard.

For me, the problem is simple laziness and resistance. I don't want to go outside right now, I don't want to roll out my yoga mat. I could be sleeping in, or checking the internet, or cleaning the kitchen. I tell myself I don't have time to spare half an hour, which is utter bullshit since I can waste half an hour browsing online.

Right now, I'm at the point where I have to tell myself "you can do short things." I can do a three minute hardcore pilates video. I can plank for a minute. I can do all these small things to build myself up so I can eventually do more. My sister and I started doing morning stretches and alternating abs/arms every Tuesday and Thursday. Running, I just make myself go when weather permits. It sucks. I mean, seriously, right now I hate doing it. But I remember that I used to love it. (And I am not athletically inclined!) So I try to hold on to that, and I also promise myself that if I go running I can stop to take photos with my phone. Yes, I use Instagram as a bribe.

So, yeah. My advice is that it will sucks for months. But after that it gets weirdly enjoyable. You just gotta trick yourself and poke yourself to get to that point.

Alexeigynaix

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 02:00:43 pm »
Quote from: MeadowRae;200345
As someone who lost a good deal of weight in the past, I would say to start where you are and accept where you are. That was the most important step for me. I could only walk on an elliptical 15 minutes, but I went and did that, anyway.

Next step is consistency. You will need to do something about seven weeks before it becomes normal to you. Be patient. Find ways to make it pleasant. (Listen to music. Treat yourself to a warm bath afterwards.)

In terms of actual activities, walking and running are free if you have a place to do them. When I was pregnant and unable to do my regular exercise routine I would look up ten minute yoga videos on YouTube. When I was in really good shape I looked up High Intensity Interval Training workouts using only body weight on YouTube. Good luck on your journey!

There's the city park sidewalk loop and also the county park mile path. I just...keep not going to either park with anything like consistency.

Bribing myself to get it done is not a trick that usually works for me, unfortunately. But finding ways to make the actual doing of the thing more pleasant might. *ponder*

Thanks!

Quote from: Chatelaine;200349
Apparently, a habit takes six weeks to either set in place or get rid of, which would explain the importance that 40-day periods have traditionally had. Something clicks and it all becomes a lot easier past that mark. Find something you enjoy doing, set a realistic practice schedule, and get someone to keep you accountable. A workout buddy is the most fun, but since you already have back problems, you might want to consider a personal trainer to get you into the groove.

Dance lessons cost money, though, or else they're during my work hours (I work evenings, you see, and these things are scheduled around nine-to-fivers), or both. :( And personal trainers most decidedly cost money.

...but there are probably dance-lessony-things for individual dancers on Youtube. (I mean, this probably translates to "Zumba routines", but.)

Thanks!

Quote from: Noctua;200395
weight lifting exercises, in my experience, give the most bang for your buck.

Ye gods I wish. I have nasty hand problems, and, well, my job is mostly typing at high speed and my social life is mostly Internet (thus typing at high speed) and my main hobby is writing (thus typing at high speed). And, while I do have Dragon dictation software at home, we are not friends, and such a thing wouldn't work so great at work for reasons even if we were friends. I cannot risk injuring my hands any worse. Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate your advice. I just. Not happening. Not without a personal trainer who knows from hand problems, and, well, money. :(

Quote from: Mama Fortuna;200403
Me? I run. When I was going to the gym, I never touched the treadmill because I hated it, but I took up running outside instead and that's when I cancelled my gym membership. I was extremely lucky because at the time I was living close to Stanley Park in Vancouver, so I could run along the seawall or take the paths through the forest. Being outside in nature was a huge motivator for me. Running outdoors also made me feel less self conscious than I did at the YMCA. (And I didn't have to hear grunting dudes every thirty seconds.)

Also free and easy to do at home? Yoga and pilates. Youtube is full of videos. You've also got pushups and lunges and squats and planks - any exercise where you can use your own body weight. Other people have already listed way more in-depth stuff that is very helpful.

Pilates? *pokes googles*

I wonder if I should get a 2017 pass to the state parks. I mean, that's rather more driving than the city and county parks are, but...hm...

Quote from: Mama Fortuna;200403
For me, the problem is simple laziness and resistance. I don't want to go outside right now, I don't want to roll out my yoga mat. I could be sleeping in, or checking the internet, or cleaning the kitchen. I tell myself I don't have time to spare half an hour, which is utter bullshit since I can waste half an hour browsing online.

So, yeah. My advice is that it will sucks for months. But after that it gets weirdly enjoyable. You just gotta trick yourself and poke yourself to get to that point.

Hah, accurate. So basically apply stubbornness?

Thanks.

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2016, 06:45:16 pm »
Quote from: Alexeigynaix;200404

Thanks.

When it comes to developing habits (not just exercise, but in general) I quite like the book Better Than Before. It discusses the various strategies people use to form habits, and how to identify which ones will work best for you. One of the few self-help books I've read that is actually helpful.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2016, 07:01:38 pm »
...but there are probably dance-lessony-things for individual dancers on Youtube. (I mean, this probably translates to "Zumba routines", but.)

I'm addicted to the NYC Ballet Workout, which is on YT in its entirety, and Hemalayaa's videos are threatening to put me on a serious Bollywood trip. Just sayin'. ;)
'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
~St Augustine~
Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2016, 12:31:21 pm »
Pilates? *pokes googles*

Yeah, it's like this core-based exercise stuff. I was recommended Blogilates on YouTube by someone in one of my dance classes so that's the one I usually use. The host is almost too perky, but it gives me something to whine at.
("Three more, you can do it!"
"NO I CAN'T CASSIE O GOD")

I wonder if I should get a 2017 pass to the state parks. I mean, that's rather more driving than the city and county parks are, but...hm...

If you think it would be a motivator and it's not gonna break the bank, sure! I will say even if you don't, just start whatever you want to right now. Never wait for perfect conditions. I have a very dear friend who decided to take up running, but she needed the right pants, a special shirt, those special toe-shoes... I think she went running maybe five or six times and she hasn't been in years. My sister on the other hand still hasn't bothered to get 'real' shoes and just goes in her Converse sneakers. (She hated running, incidentally, but I whined at her to come with me and eventually she started liking it.)

Yup! ...After I wrote my reply yesterday, I hauled my ass out the door to go for a run so that I wouldn't be a total hypocrite. It wasn't a long one, but it was better than nothing.

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2016, 06:10:41 pm »

Ye gods I wish. I have nasty hand problems, and, well, my job is mostly typing at high speed and my social life is mostly Internet (thus typing at high speed) and my main hobby is writing (thus typing at high speed). And, while I do have Dragon dictation software at home, we are not friends, and such a thing wouldn't work so great at work for reasons even if we were friends. I cannot risk injuring my hands any worse. Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate your advice. I just. Not happening. Not without a personal trainer who knows from hand problems, and, well, money. :(

I'm a total gym rat--free-weight workouts--and I'm puzzled why your hands would prevent you from trying it. My hands haven't given me any problems in 30+ years of consistent weight training, and while everyone is different, I'd suggest trying it with superlight weights to start, and stop if your hands give you the slightest trouble. You may find that the incidental recruitment of muscles in the forearms, wrist, and hands will strengthen your hand muscles and actually *reduce* any problems or potential for injury.

I can only second what was previously said about the benefits of building muscle--more skeletal support, denser bones, more calories burned even when you're just sitting around. And it makes you look great, boosting confidence. (It's kept me youthful; I love telling folks I'm 53, and watching their eyes bug out.)

Better sex too. Just sayin'.

But if not weight training, I encourage you to do something, anything, to avoid a sedentary life. We used to set fitness goals here at the Cauldron periodically--something specific to you, achievable, and measurable, announced to everyone in the thread so that we could hold each other's feet to the fire--with a deadline usually timed to a solstice or equinox.

Is it time to do that again?
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2016, 08:16:41 pm »
Quote from: Altair;200428
We used to set fitness goals here at the Cauldron periodically--something specific to you, achievable, and measurable, announced to everyone in the thread so that we could hold each other's feet to the fire--with a deadline usually timed to a solstice or equinox.

Hell yeah, I'd be down for that.

Sarah

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2016, 07:17:55 am »
We used to set fitness goals here at the Cauldron periodically--something specific to you, achievable, and measurable, announced to everyone in the thread so that we could hold each other's feet to the fire--with a deadline usually timed to a solstice or equinox.

oh this would be awesome
Knowing when to use a shovel is what being a witch is all about. Nanny Ogg, Witches Abroad

Noctua

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Blue Star Wicca
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2016, 08:27:37 am »
I'm a total gym rat--free-weight workouts--and I'm puzzled why your hands would prevent you from trying it. My hands haven't given me any problems in 30+ years of consistent weight training, and while everyone is different, I'd suggest trying it with superlight weights to start, and stop if your hands give you the slightest trouble. You may find that the incidental recruitment of muscles in the forearms, wrist, and hands will strengthen your hand muscles and actually *reduce* any problems or potential for injury.

Agreed- my husband also makes a living with his hands, with his profession requiring a lot of manual dexterity. Since he's the primary breadwinner it's obviously a concern if something were to happen. He had no problem with lifting weights, though when he started lifting heavier he invested in a pair of gloves so he wouldn't get callouses. If he'd stuck with it he might have needed to move up to straps, but he slacked even worse than I did these past 2 years.

I would definitely be in for this one. I've been slacking a lot since I started school and being accountable only to myself (as well as the reminders I've programmed into my phone) hasn't been enough motivation to get back on the wagon. I miss being able to do pull-ups. :(

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2016, 06:41:48 pm »
Quote from: Noctua;200434

I would definitely be in for this one.

Three yeas (+ me, too) does it--I just started a new Fitness Challenge thread. Go check it out!
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Alexeigynaix

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2016, 09:12:02 pm »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;200422
...After I wrote my reply yesterday, I hauled my ass out the door to go for a run so that I wouldn't be a total hypocrite. It wasn't a long one, but it was better than nothing.

I sort of tried that Friday. I was gonna do three laps of the green by my office and then go work. I managed one lap--so, like, five minutes of exercise--and my asthma started up so I had to stop and take my inhaler.

Four hours later (...I was at work, thus not paying attention properly to anything else), it occurred to me the inhaler should really have started working. So I took it again. Half an hour after that, it still wasn't working, so I got my manager to drive me to the emergency room...

Yeah, how about I just table any thought of outdoor exercise until, like, April. /o\

Youtube yoga/Pilates/dance/Zumba/something routines in my living room it is, I guess. Once I can get my living room floor clear enough to do this thing! Because clearly an additional barrier to getting exercise happening is exactly what I need!

Tags: