Niksa is on a distinguished road Niksa's Avatar
    Last Online
    19 Dec 2016 @ 11:03 AM
    Country
    Poland
    Religion
    Agnostic

Where do you take spells from?

Hi there. I was trying to find it, but apparently couldn't- where do you take your spells from? Spells that are working that is. Or if you create them yourself, how do you do it? What is guiding you?

Staff Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends5000 Experience Points
    Emma Eldritch is a glorious beacon of light Emma Eldritch is a glorious beacon of light Emma Eldritch is a glorious beacon of light Emma Eldritch is a glorious beacon of light Emma Eldritch is a glorious beacon of light Emma Eldritch is a glorious beacon of light Emma Eldritch's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:26 PM
    Country
    Canada
    Religion
    witchcraft
    Pronouns
    she/her/hers

Re: Where do you take spells from?

Quote Originally Posted by Niksa View Post
    Hi there. I was trying to find it, but apparently couldn't- where do you take your spells from? Spells that are working that is. Or if you create them yourself, how do you do it? What is guiding you?
    Well, you never know if it's gonna work until you try it.

Me, I have a few methods that I will return to over and over, but I like to test other stuff out - stuff from books, stuff from the internet, stuff I've thought of while in the shower. So, I try whatever it is, and keep note of whether or not it's effective. If it is, great. If not, I can examine it and see if I can figure out what went wrong.
    (the artist formerly known as Mama Fortuna)
    Rock-n-Roll Witch - the blog
    in the violet hour to the violent sound - the tumblr

Staff Achievements:
    Three FriendsYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:06 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Initiatory religious witchcraft
    Pronouns
    she/her/hers

I am very much a 'build my own' sort when it comes to spells. I'll look at other people's for ideas about technique, but usually they have aspects that make me make a lot of faces and insufficient citations about why they picked things.

(Why that stone! Why that herb! Were you going for this set of associations or that one? This poetry is ugh, can I fix your scansion!)

My usual magical approach these days is to look at what physical method of doing a spell I am up for doing, whether I have the materials for that and it's a practical choice for my life at the moment, and then put together something that will work.

My usual default right now for methods is often art magic - drawing symbols, words, and pictures and then charging and activating them. I use water color pencils. Other times I do knot magic, other fiber magic, candle magic, or charging a piece of jewelry with a specific goal. Some of these require specific supplies (so aren't suited for a 'I want to do this in the next day or two', some are not great for 'I want to carry a reminder with me all the time' and so on.
    Limen: Thoughts from a Threshold (my blog) :: http://gleewood.org/threshold
    Seeking (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism) :: http://gleewood.org/seeking

Journeyman Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    DancesWithHorses is on a distinguished road DancesWithHorses's Avatar
    Last Online
    28 Dec 2016 @ 08:34 PM
    Country
    Canada
    Religion
    Eclectic Heathen witch
    Pronouns
    she/her

I started out with Judika Illes book, 5000 spells and based my original techniques on a book by Mya Om (the title escapes me, its slim but awesome book). Mostly I do drawings in sand or such. Or write things down and burn them. I ask far too many questions to follow a spell to the letter. I do have books on herbs and follow them a bit. A lot of the time if say I would like a friend to get better soon, my spells are wrapped around cakes, cookies and other cooking goods.

My guide is my intention and that seems to be enough for me. My spells don't need much, most of the time, I just need some inspiration from another source. As long as I have some time and space, I will draw a circle and work from there. In the kitchen, I put my intentions in the baking and visualize that intent wrapping itself in the ingredients. I may add a few extra pinches of herbs that I think suit the spell.
    Jinx or Jinxy
    Add a dash of folklore, a few centuries of farmer's blood and mix well.

Senior Staff Achievements:
    Three FriendsYour first GroupCreated Album picturesOverdriveRecommendation Second Class
    SunflowerP is a splendid one to behold SunflowerP is a splendid one to behold SunflowerP is a splendid one to behold SunflowerP is a splendid one to behold SunflowerP is a splendid one to behold SunflowerP is a splendid one to behold SunflowerP is a splendid one to behold SunflowerP's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:30 PM
    Country
    Canada
    Religion
    Religious Witchcraft
    Pronouns
    sie/hir/hirs

Quote Originally Posted by DancesWithHorses View Post
    Off topic: Hey, Jinx! Great to see you around again!

Sunflower
    Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    I do so have a life. I just live part of it online.
    “Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
    to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
    "Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
    My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ

Senior Apprentice Achievements:
    100 Experience Points31 days registered
    OldenwildeHP is on a distinguished road OldenwildeHP's Avatar
    Last Online
    15 Feb 2017 @ 02:57 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Wiccan

Once you understand the principles of magic, you'll know how to cast a spell in any circumstance using whatever you have at hand. It's like being a trained chef -- you don't have to follow a recipe slavishly, but can substitute your own ingredients, or throw together a delicious dish with whatever you happen to find in the fridge.

The problem with most spellbooks is they don't explain those principles very well, or at all. The most important one is the Art of Correspondences -- working with the patterns and core ideas that structure everything that exists.

Granted I co-wrote it, but I recommend you read The Goodly Spellbook: Olde Spells for Modern Problems.

Journeyman Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Dynes Hysbys is on a distinguished road Dynes Hysbys's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:38 PM
    Country
    Wales
    Religion
    Cunningcraft

Robin Skelton's Spellcraft is my favourite beginners book. Pure spellcraft from the days before the internet.

Master Member Achievements:
    Created Album picturesVeteran5000 Experience Points
    outlaw393 can only hope to improve outlaw393's Avatar
    Last Online
    6 Jan 2017 @ 01:26 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan
    Pronouns
    they/their/they're

Either I create one to connect with a certain god/goddess or for a certain reason. I get a lot of spells from books and the internet as well.
    Conformity is the death of individualism

Senior Newbie Achievements:
    100 Experience Points
    Shadowstar is on a distinguished road Shadowstar's Avatar
    Last Online
    22 Apr 2017 @ 11:28 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Folkwitch, Forest Witch, Christopagan
    Pronouns
    she, her

I try to start with the goal or result in mind. Then I research on line or in books for spells that correspond to that goal. Sometimes I use the spell as I find it, other times I'll cobble together. I usually let my intuition guide me, which is how I operate generally. Other times, I'll just put together what I "feel" is right based on the knowledge I have. Sometimes with hilarious consequences to me!

In all seriousness, I do believe the first step is to visualize your intended outcome or goal. Focus on one goal at a time or per spell. This to me is the best way to channel the energy necessary for the spell to work. Hope some of that helped.

Master Member Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points
    Sorcha will become famous soon enough Sorcha's Avatar
    Last Online
    23 Apr 2017 @ 09:17 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Solitary eclectic Celtic-inspired druidish hedgewitchy christopagan... thing. *shrug*
    Pronouns
    She/her/hers

I'm a bit of a spell collector; if I find a website or book with spells listed that I think I might use, I write them down on a 4x6 card and file them in a file box I keep for that purpose.

I rarely recreate a spell to the T, but I use various elements of spells to create what I need. I love Judika Illes's books, and her book of 5000 spells is a GREAT way to get a feel for how spells are put together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread