Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Resource threads for approaches / practices / experiences  (Read 3922 times)

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Resource threads for approaches / practices / experiences
« on: December 15, 2016, 08:40:57 pm »
One of the things I've been mulling since becoming staff is that we have some kinds of questions that come up periodically, where having answers in a single thread as a starting place to point people would be handy.

I'm thinking about the kinds of things in a recent post elsewhere about sharing general scope of practice, beliefs and practices about deity, and related topics (how people view magic as working, what their ritual practice is, etc.)

Many of these are somewhat time consuming to answer, and so I think these threads often get fewer answers as a result. Having a thread that was easy to find focused on a particular question built over time would be a way to say "Here's a place to start and see a variety of approaches, then feel free to ask more stuff." (and also just useful to read, I think, for people trying to figure out what they're doing.)

How might this work?
I'm also asking on the staff folder about some mechanics of setting it up, but I'd see it working something like this:

- These threads would have a single topic (or a set of closely connected topics, like group practice) and a request for this thread to stay on that topic. (Questions, related comments, etc. could be a new thread.)

- I (or other people, as appropriate) would set one up every few days to start (to avoid being overwhelming.) Maybe with some basic template of "This is how I currently identify my path" as an intro.

- (If we get other threads that are really relevant, it'd also be possible to drop a link into the reply so we could find it again.)

- As we accumulate threads, I'd make an index post we can pin in the Beginner board (and possibly elsewhere) that links to those threads. Every month or two, I (or someone, but I'm volunteering) could bump that thread up and remind people to go look at the various threads and add their comments if they haven't or have changes.

- Hopefully, over time, we end up with a variety of experiences and practices described in one place, to give a sense of the variety.  

My questions:
What topics would you like to see this for? I'll add a couple of my top ones in the next comment.

Would this be useful to you? (Or if not useful now, would it have been useful when you were starting out?)

What things would make it less useful for you? (i.e. is this project worth doing in the first place?)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Resource threads for approaches / practices / experiences
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 08:55:43 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;200090

What topics would you like to see this for? I'll add a couple of my top ones in the next comment.

Topics I'd love to see this for in some form:
- People's daily / regular / ongoing practice (with a focus on 'stuff you've actually been doing for a bit already so it's consistent' not 'stuff you wish you were doing')

- How people structure their ritual year and why

- Items people have found useful in their practice and why.

- Books people found helpful at a specific stage, and most importantly, why. (Doesn't need to be a book review, but I'd really want to encourage a paragraph or more of why it was helpful, not just "I liked it" for this one.)

- Ditto other resources (websites, magazines, other publications, etc.)

- Deities, how people got started with the ongoing deity interactions they do, whether things have changed for them over time.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Resource threads for approaches / practices / experiences
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 05:30:58 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;200090

After some discussion staff-side, we decided that the special topics folder was the ideal place to put these, and I've just put the first one up.

I plan to post a new topic every 4-5 days (to give people time to respond without feeling overwhelmed), and once we have a couple, I'll start an index list in a pinned post in the appropriate folders linking to them. As noted in the first post of the thread, special guidelines apply (basically, keep on topic and take other responses to a new thread, to keep the thread useful.)

Tags: