Re: moses or mose by SunflowerP
[Today at 09:48:58 pm]

moses or mose by Larix
[Today at 08:24:25 pm]

Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Becomes Real? by Ashmire
[March 14, 2024, 01:21:17 am]

Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Becomes Real? by atr
[March 14, 2024, 01:15:08 am]

Author Topic: What does the bible say about rape children?  (Read 4438 times)

dlnewhouse

• Banned!
  • ba weep grana weep nini bon
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Christian
What does the bible say about rape children?
« on: December 14, 2016, 11:56:12 pm »
What does the bible say about rape children?  In particular, is it possible for children born in a marriage to be considered rape children by God?
Daniel L Newhouse

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
  • A Ways Around the Bend...
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
  • Religion: Southern Baptist
Re: What does the bible say about rape children?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 01:25:23 pm »
Quote from: MerlynKing;200065
What does the bible say about rape children?  In particular, is it possible for children born in a marriage to be considered rape children by God?

I haven't found many specific references to rape in the Bible (mostly the rape of Tamar by Amnon in 2 Samuel 13), and off the top of my head I can't remember any specific references to children of rape at all. There is a reference to those who entice a woman into sex being required to pay the bride-price of a virgin to her father (Exodus 22:16-17), but it appears that this refers to a consensual relationship and that after the fine is paid it is considered a valid marriage, unless the girl's father utterly refuses to give her to him. I see no evidence that God makes a difference between "legitimate" and "illegitimate" children, although society may.
--------Eric H. Bowen
Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!
Computers are like air conditioning. They become useless when you open Windows—Linus Torvalds.

Soletaken

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 06:19:50 pm »

I don't remember anything in the bible on the topic, but I haven't opened a bible in, erm, going on 20 years.

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 08:58:22 pm »

Maybe.

This article goes directly at the subject.  

It reminds us that, in the ancient world, consent wasn't really considered much.  Also, women were for childrearing.  From the article: "The only Bible story in which someone declines to produce a child is the one about Onan refusing to father a son for his deceased brother. He spills his seed on the ground instead, and God kills him for it. Whether the widow wanted the seed inside her plays no part in the account whatsoever."

Also-also, that women were property, and marriage was essentially a property transaction, and wedding night funtimes were most likely not consensual (and not for many nights after.)  "Daughters can be given in marriage or sold outright, slaves can be sent by their mistresses to bear proxy babies, virgin war captives can be claimed as wives, widows can be forced to submit to humping by their brothers-in-law until they produce sons. Presumably any of these women can be laid at any time, at a man’s discretion, much as is the case in parts of Afghanistan or analogous Iron Age tribal cultures today. In such a world, a significant portion of babies conceived will be the product of non-consensual sex. In other words, rape."  

Pretty blunt, but I see little to disagree with.  I was going to point out that the piece was written during the 2012 election season, so some of the controversy re: Soapy and Akin are gonna be a bit dated.  Then I remembered we're getting ready to install (yet another) sexual predator in the Oval Office in about 5 weeks, so maybe it's still salient.  Maybe.

Another from the same author: Captive Virgins, Polygamy, Sex Slaves: What Marriage Would Look Like if We Actually Followed the Bible. Just sharing for funsies.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 08:59:51 pm by MadZealot »
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Soletaken

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2016, 01:40:07 pm »
Quote from: MadZealot;200138
Maybe.

This article goes directly at the subject.  

It reminds us that, in the ancient world, consent wasn't really considered much.  Also, women were for childrearing.  From the article: "The only Bible story in which someone declines to produce a child is the one about Onan refusing to father a son for his deceased brother. He spills his seed on the ground instead, and God kills him for it. Whether the widow wanted the seed inside her plays no part in the account whatsoever."

Also-also, that women were property, and marriage was essentially a property transaction, and wedding night funtimes were most likely not consensual (and not for many nights after.)  "Daughters can be given in marriage or sold outright, slaves can be sent by their mistresses to bear proxy babies, virgin war captives can be claimed as wives, widows can be forced to submit to humping by their brothers-in-law until they produce sons. Presumably any of these women can be laid at any time, at a man’s discretion, much as is the case in parts of Afghanistan or analogous Iron Age tribal cultures today. In such a world, a significant portion of babies conceived will be the product of non-consensual sex. In other words, rape."  

Pretty blunt, but I see little to disagree with.  I was going to point out that the piece was written during the 2012 election season, so some of the controversy re: Soapy and Akin are gonna be a bit dated.  Then I remembered we're getting ready to install (yet another) sexual predator in the Oval Office in about 5 weeks, so maybe it's still salient.  Maybe.

Another from the same author: Captive Virgins, Polygamy, Sex Slaves: What Marriage Would Look Like if We Actually Followed the Bible. Just sharing for funsies.

Ugh. This puts a disgusting new perspective on the topic. Maybe the bible doesn't mention babies that are conceived by rape because the writers of the Bible had no concept of consent, therefore rape didn't exist to them.

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2016, 08:53:57 am »
Quote from: Soletaken;200152
Ugh. This puts a disgusting new perspective on the topic. Maybe the bible doesn't mention babies that are conceived by rape because the writers of the Bible had no concept of consent, therefore rape didn't exist to them.

Until very recently rape was treated as a property crime, the use of someone else's woman.

Remember, laws against marital rape started getting passed in the US in the 1970s, because the established law until very recently was "you can't rape her if she belongs to you".  There are still people who think that this is unreasonable and are very angry about it.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Soletaken

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2016, 12:47:39 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;200173
Until very recently rape was treated as a property crime, the use of someone else's woman.

Remember, laws against marital rape started getting passed in the US in the 1970s, because the established law until very recently was "you can't rape her if she belongs to you".  There are still people who think that this is unreasonable and are very angry about it.

Glad I wasn't born until the 80s.

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2016, 01:41:17 pm »
Quote from: Soletaken;200181
Glad I wasn't born until the 80s.

In Canada, marital rape wasn't an offence until '83. So it was legal within my lifetime. The more you know!

Gaudior

• Journeyman
  • Moladh Bríd
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Clann Bhride, Zen Buddhism
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2016, 02:43:57 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;200173

Gods that's awful :(
I talk to plants.

Beryl

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2016, 05:26:45 pm »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;200228
In Canada, marital rape wasn't an offence until '83. So it was legal within my lifetime. The more you know!

In the UK (well, England and Wales, not sure about Scottish law on this) it wasn't until some time in the 90s, because I remember the news coverage, and I was old enough to understand and be disgusted by the fact that this wasn't already the case. (Interestingly/horrifyingly, the law's 'opinion' so to speak was apparently previously that a woman gave blanket consent at the point of marriage, but this was only made law in the 1730s, so presumably before that married women *did* have at least theoretical protection (though I'm guessing not much in practice), but someone felt the need to go 'nope, not having that!')

rocquelaire

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2016, 04:09:50 am »
Quote from: Beryl;200237
In the UK (well, England and Wales, not sure about Scottish law on this) it wasn't until some time in the 90s, because I remember the news coverage, and I was old enough to understand and be disgusted by the fact that this wasn't already the case. (Interestingly/horrifyingly, the law's 'opinion' so to speak was apparently previously that a woman gave blanket consent at the point of marriage, but this was only made law in the 1730s, so presumably before that married women *did* have at least theoretical protection (though I'm guessing not much in practice), but someone felt the need to go 'nope, not having that!')

1989 for Scotland, in the case of S v HMA. Prior to that, it was assumed that a woman gave blanket consent at the point of marriage and could not withdraw that consent.

Tags: