Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 07:13:48 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 07:04:14 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 06:56:16 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Yei
[Today at 06:56:00 pm]

Author Topic: Shapeshifters: how do you work with them?  (Read 3361 times)

Eastling

• Sr. Master Member
  • Love and be free.
    • View Profile
    • Mystermercury
  • Religion: Modern Dionysian hero cultus and heretical Judaism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his
Shapeshifters: how do you work with them?
« on: December 13, 2016, 09:41:47 pm »
It's not exactly a secret that certain magical, spiritual, and divine entities love to shapeshift. In my time working with shapeshifting Powers, I've found this to be a source of vitality, fascination, and also endless exasperation. I want to produce creative, devotional Work to and about Them, and They won't stay in one shape for long enough. It's like trying to paint a portrait of a dancer as they perform.

That's the background, but the reason I'm posting it here is this: I could use ideas, thoughts, and suggestions for developing a productive magic(o-ritual) practice around entities prone to shapeshifting. It seems to me like it's probably a common enough problem that useful techniques might exist--and even if it isn't, it's a subject worth broaching.

So, what kind of magic would you weave when working with shapeshifters and yearning to get solid results out of it, particularly creative ones?
"The peacock can show its whole tail at once, but I can only tell you a story."
--JAMES ALAN GARDNER

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Re: Shapeshifters: how do you work with them?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 01:00:04 am »
Quote from: Eastling;200037
That's the background, but the reason I'm posting it here is this: I could use ideas, thoughts, and suggestions for developing a productive magic(o-ritual) practice around entities prone to shapeshifting. It seems to me like it's probably a common enough problem that useful techniques might exist--and even if it isn't, it's a subject worth broaching.

So, what kind of magic would you weave when working with shapeshifters and yearning to get solid results out of it, particularly creative ones?

I've been mulling this over since you posted it a couple days ago, and personally, my only answer is to just. Shift with them? Take up the dance with them? Become a part of the painting you're trying to capture--work your life into a kaleidoscopic piece of art.

Oh! Idea flood!
Kaleidoscope-making. Devotional dance. Art you can move, so it creates different shapes and pictures and whatnot. Dolls. Masks. Ritual with several different parts that can be changed in and out or added as needed. Songs--this would be difficult to do, but arranging a choral piece of a song you think captures their nature. Depending on how many parts are playing, the song will sound different.

Uh, that's all I got. Hope it pings something?
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

NiDara

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheism, Clann Bhride
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her they/them
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 06:53:40 pm »
Quote from: HarpingHawke;200104
I've been mulling this over since you posted it a couple days ago, and personally, my only answer is to just. Shift with them? Take up the dance with them? Become a part of the painting you're trying to capture--work your life into a kaleidoscopic piece of art.

Oh! Idea flood!
Kaleidoscope-making. Devotional dance. Art you can move, so it creates different shapes and pictures and whatnot. Dolls. Masks. Ritual with several different parts that can be changed in and out or added as needed. Songs--this would be difficult to do, but arranging a choral piece of a song you think captures their nature. Depending on how many parts are playing, the song will sound different.

Uh, that's all I got. Hope it pings something?

Another idea continuing from the subject of art is cosplay or costume making. Designing an original costume could be a ritual in and of itself, especially if you add in magical details. Embroidered sigils, color magic, knot magic, and probably either techniques I'm not thinking of. You could even make pieces of a costume that change out quickly with the use of velcro or snaps.

Eastling

• Sr. Master Member
  • Love and be free.
    • View Profile
    • Mystermercury
  • Religion: Modern Dionysian hero cultus and heretical Judaism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2016, 05:47:18 pm »
Quote from: HarpingHawke;200104

This seems like the best all-around option. Worry less about trying to capture the whole in one piece and just move with them, making what I can in the process.

I just have to overcome my perfectionism and associated inhibitions and get to work.

Quote from: Nic an Dair;200136
Another idea continuing from the subject of art is cosplay or costume making. Designing an original costume could be a ritual in and of itself, especially if you add in magical details. Embroidered sigils, color magic, knot magic, and probably either techniques I'm not thinking of. You could even make pieces of a costume that change out quickly with the use of velcro or snaps.

I've never been much into costuming (my cosplay attempts have generally involved commissioning other people), but this is an intriguing idea. Since a lot of my practice is Dionysian, it's suitable too (given the association with roles and masks).

At the moment what I'm working on is a set of introductory rituals and myths in the form of "interactive poetry" created with the Twine platform. The ability to use interactivity to display multiple paths to and through the Divine is useful here.
"The peacock can show its whole tail at once, but I can only tell you a story."
--JAMES ALAN GARDNER

Tags: