Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: ADMIN: The Cauldron's NINETEENTH Anniversary  (Read 2895 times)

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
ADMIN: The Cauldron's NINETEENTH Anniversary
« on: December 13, 2016, 01:26:15 am »
As of 13 Dec '16, TC is now old enough to drink in every province in Canada :p!

Here's the forum history piece that Randall wrote and has posted for our anniversary many times (though, alas, we've missed the last couple of years), edited lightly by Sunflower to bring it up to date (so the first-person pronouns refer to Randall, not me):

Today is the nineteenth anniversary of the day The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum opened for posting!

Nineteen years ago today -- after three frustrating days when only Elspeth, Ann, and myself could post -- The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum opened its doors to the general public on the Delphi online service. This was before it was known as Delphiforums and back when user forums, then known as "Custom Forums" had a presence on both the paid Delphi Online Service (in wonderful a pure text/command line like environment) and on their new free Web forum version. The forum was an instant success with 60 or 70 messages posted that December and hitting 1000 messages within six months or so. That's 1000 messages total, not 1000 messages a month.

The Cauldron was started as a Yule gift from me to Elspeth -- you had to pay Delphi for forums back then (six months in advance). It was staffed by Elspeth, Ann, and myself with an able assist from our friends from the dying GEnie Online Service. We started a web site for the forum in the web space I got with my Delphi account in January of 1998, although we did not get domain name for a couple of years.

Our forum has done well in the years that followed, although TC has had to move around a lot. From Delphi to a mailing list. Then back to Delphiforums (Delphi's new name). When Delphi's poor service and pricing got to be too much to much in early 2004, Bob offered us server space and we moved to our own site. First with Beehive's Delphiforums-like software (two incarnations), then (very reluctantly) to SMF early in 2007 when it became apparent that Beehive software just could not meet the needs of this forum. Bob's server gave up the ghost in 2008 and we had to move to our own Linode VPS. The first time in our existence that we have had to pay a monthly bill for the message board. Fortunately, our members have stepping up and are donating every month to make continuing this board possible. When the SMF software started having problems a couple of years ago, we moved to vBulletin software in 2011.

It has been a very interesting 19 years. Sometimes it has been interesting in the "may you live in interesting times" sense of "interesting," but mostly it has been interesting in the good sense of the word. Lyricfox and I met through TC and married in 2004 (over 12 years ago now). We all made many new friends via TC. It's also been a lot of work. Work which has been shared with our staff members -- without them, this forum would not be here today. This is especially true this last few years as the hosts have been dealing with various health issues and, most recently, a cross-country move, and have not been nearly as active on the board as we had been in the past. However, the reason The Cauldron's message board is still here isn't the Hosts or the staff, it's our members: the wonderful people reading this message (and now funding the monthly server costs). Without you, this forum would be a ghostly place haunted by memories of discussions past.

Speaking of memories, The Cauldron has been around long enough that we have lost a few members the hard way. We've lost Chavi in 2006, Elspeth in 2010, and Marilyn in 2013. They live on in our memories (and in old posts in some cases). All three played a large part in making TC was it is.

Overall, however, it's been a great nineteen years. In "Internet time" we are as ancient as the dinosaurs, but we are still here, still doing our thing, and still enjoying ourselves doing it. We have plans for The Cauldron's next year and we hope you will join us and help make them happen. Thanks for being along for the ride!

You can celebrate our 19th anniversary by starting a thread on a topic that interests you!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 01:29:05 am by SunflowerP »
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: ADMIN: The Cauldron's NINETEENTH Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 10:16:02 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;200000
Today is the nineteenth anniversary of the day The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum opened for posting!

Happy You're-No-Longer-Jailbait Anniversary, Cauldron!
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 06:09:18 pm »
Quote from: Altair;200016
Happy You're-No-Longer-Jailbait Anniversary, Cauldron!

:thup::thup:
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 07:01:44 pm »

Wait, I share a birthday with TC? I've been a member how long and I didn't know this?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 07:31:05 pm »
Quote from: Sefiru;200030
Wait, I share a birthday with TC? I've been a member how long and I didn't know this?

Well, and happy birthday to you, too, Sefiru!

Going by your post to the 'Beehive Board Members - Introduce Yourself Here' thread from when we first moved to the now-archival SMF forum in Mar '07, apparently eleven or twelve years. That's about the same length of time as I've been around - I joined on 13 Jun '05 (which I remember because it's exactly half a year from TC's anniversary - so I'm celebrating my eleven-and-a-halfth Cauldronversary).

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2016, 06:31:15 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;200031
so I'm celebrating my eleven-and-a-halfth Cauldronversary).

Sunflower

Thanks, and happy un-versary to you!

Gosh. I must have still been in Uni at the time ... it's all such a blur now.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

dragonfaerie

• Master Member
  • Priestess of Caffeina
    • View Profile
    • Soylent Purple
  • Religion: Wicca & Druidry
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2016, 07:42:03 pm »

Impressive! I'm not entirely sure when I first wandered over, but it was way way back in the Delphi Forums days.

Karen

Tags: