"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Author Topic: Blóts for Christmas  (Read 3660 times)

Doc

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Blóts for Christmas
« on: December 12, 2016, 10:14:34 pm »
How would one blót on Christmas or during a the Yule time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dam

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Blóts for Christmas
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 01:42:10 am »
Quote from: Doc;199989

The same as any other time of year. Or wearing a tinsel scarf if you are really festive :p

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 02:06:48 am »
Quote from: Dam;200002
The same as any other time of year. Or wearing a tinsel scarf if you are really festive :p

I recommend a Santa hat to celebrate the gifts Allfather brings!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 02:06:59 am by Jack »
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Jainarayan

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 10:44:19 am »

You might find this helpful http://www.asatrublog.com/2012/11/22/yule-blot/

Doc

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 02:13:18 am »
Quote from: Jainarayan;200019
You might find this helpful http://www.asatrublog.com/2012/11/22/yule-blot/

I liked it. As a solo practitioner how would I change it from group to single?

Jainarayan

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2016, 10:27:10 am »
Quote from: Doc;200200
I liked it. As a solo practitioner how would I change it from group to single?

If I remember correctly from when I used it, I actually left it as it is. That is, I didn't change the plural we, us, our(s) to singular I, mine, my. Because Heathenry is community-oriented, when we practice, or offer, even though we physically may do it solo, we are representing our "tribe", i.e. family. Offerings may be done by one person, but they are for more than one, even those who are not present.

Son of the Norse

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2016, 05:44:15 pm »

I chopped up an old dead tree (small), and cut it into 12 logs; one for each night of Yule.  I will feast, then drink, and Blot while I enjoy the fire of the 12 logs each night! :)
~Son of the Norse

Doc

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2016, 01:00:57 pm »
Quote from: Son of the Norse;200238
I chopped up an old dead tree (small), and cut it into 12 logs; one for each night of Yule.  I will feast, then drink, and Blot while I enjoy the fire of the 12 logs each night! :)

Are you using this blot or your own? And if it's your own can you share it? I've never blot before and I don't want to fuck it up and embarrass myself. I'm a solo practitioner but if I didn't do it right I'd be embarrassed by myself if you know what I mean.

Son of the Norse

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2016, 09:03:03 pm »
Quote from: Doc;200466
Are you using this blot or your own? And if it's your own can you share it? I've never blot before and I don't want to fuck it up and embarrass myself. I'm a solo practitioner but if I didn't do it right I'd be embarrassed by myself if you know what I mean.

I truly don't think you can "F" up a blot on your own.  It is what you feel inside.

I personally Blot to Thor a lot; for safe journeys, and safety for my family.  I really think that no matter how you blot it cannot be wrong if it come from your heart :)
~Son of the Norse

hraefngar

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: eclectic pagan
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2017, 09:25:55 am »

Howdy. It may interest some people to know that the Venerable Bede, when writing of Heathen English practices, mentioned that "Modranicht" (Mother's Night) was celebrated on 8 Calends January.  8 Calends January is Roman speak for December 25th.

A lot of heathens who have an Old English approach (as opposed to Scandinavian approach) will honor their ancestors, particularly the female ancestors, on or about Dec 25th.  There is a belief in the disir /idesa/matronae, female guardian spirits of the family or tribe.

Obsidia

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2017, 03:15:45 pm »
Quote from: hraefngar;201012
Howdy. It may interest some people to know that the Venerable Bede, when writing of Heathen English practices, mentioned that "Modranicht" (Mother's Night) was celebrated on 8 Calends January.  8 Calends January is Roman speak for December 25th.

A lot of heathens who have an Old English approach (as opposed to Scandinavian approach) will honor their ancestors, particularly the female ancestors, on or about Dec 25th.  There is a belief in the disir /idesa/matronae, female guardian spirits of the family or tribe.

I celebrate Yule but on the winter solstice, 21st December, there is a rite for just 2 people here: bf AND myself. We have a rite, praying to the gods Woden, Thunor, Freya and Tyr. We also pray to the ancestors and land wights/nature spirits. We share mead in a drink horn. As we've not been able to find any mead we use an alternative: Jack Daniels. We tell a story from the sagas. After that any mead left is given to the earth mother in the garden (slugs and other creatures enjoy it).

Doc

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2017, 10:41:56 pm »
Quote from: Obsidia;201018
I celebrate Yule but on the winter solstice, 21st December, there is a rite for just 2 people here: bf AND myself. We have a rite, praying to the gods Woden, Thunor, Freya and Tyr. We also pray to the ancestors and land wights/nature spirits. We share mead in a drink horn. As we've not been able to find any mead we use an alternative: Jack Daniels. We tell a story from the sagas. After that any mead left is given to the earth mother in the garden (slugs and other creatures enjoy it).

Most liquor stores carry it. Grimfrost sells some as well but have you tried making some mead?

Obsidia

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2017, 04:22:41 pm »
Quote from: Doc;201226
Most liquor stores carry it. Grimfrost sells some as well but have you tried making some mead?

No I've not made any mead and don't know how I could do this.
Its worth a try.
My local grocery shop and the supermarket don't have mead. The off license might do. I could go there.

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2017, 11:09:46 pm »
Quote from: Obsidia;201266
No I've not made any mead and don't know how I could do this.

Meadmaking is very easy.

You'll need:
- a container that can be sealed (if you have access to a homebrew supply place, a glass carboy is standard; however, it's possible to use a leftover 2-liter soda bottle in a pinch, just make sure you do a really good job of cleaning it out)  (a homebrew store will have special airlocks for a carboy; if doing the bodge it together from stuff around the house, you can seriously kludge together an airlock from a balloon and some rubber bands to hold it on)

- something to sterilise the gear with (Campden tablets / sulfite solution is pretty common for homebrewers around here)

- a clean pot to put on your stove

- probably a funnel

- clean water and honey; standard proportions for a plain mead are at 3 lb honey per gallon of water (that's about 360 grams per liter), a sack mead you'll want more like 5lb/gallon (600 grams/liter), a... bloody hell, I've forgotten the term for a thin one, anyway, that's less.

- some form of brewing yeast; you want a wine or champagne yeast for most meads

Procedure:

Mix up your sulfite solution and wash down EVERYTHING with it, or otherwise sterilise your gear.

Put your pot on the stove, put in your water, dissolve the honey in it.  Some people will say you should skim off the foam, some people will say you absolutely should not skim off the foam.  Make a web search if you're interested in relevant arguments.

Dip out a bit of your honey-water, make sure it's not too hot, dilute it some more, dissolve your yeast in it.  Let that stuff get started.  If you put the yeast straight into your mead, especially if you're doing a high-sugar deal, it can basically go into a sugar-shock coma, so it's good to give it a little warmup time before you mix it in entirely.

When your yeast is proofed, mix it in.

Pour your stuff into your fermentation jar, and put in the airlock or the balloon or whatever.  Put it somewhere it won't get too hot or too cold.  Check on it every so often.  If it's going, it'll produce gas, which will either escape out your airlock or inflate your balloon.

At some point you'll want to do what's called 'racking', which is basically extracting the ferment in process off the sludge that's accumulated at the bottom.  This is generally done by siphoning it with a tube, because pouring will stir up a bunch of the mess you're trying to get rid of and you'll have more mess in your mead.  Rack at least once, after a couple of months, and put it in a container with a lock; this may kick off your ferment again.

Eventually, bottle and drink the stuff.

(Beyond that, you can get start to get fancy.  Our ritual brew involves five gallons of apple cider instead of water (about 19 liters) and 14-15 pounds of honey (6-6.5 kilograms), along with a bunch of spices.)
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Tags: