Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: I've become a Christan, how to tell my best friend who hates Yahweh?  (Read 6836 times)

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
  • A Ways Around the Bend...
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
  • Religion: Southern Baptist
Re: I've become a Christan, how to tell my best friend who hates Yahweh?
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2016, 01:41:41 am »
Quote from: Ian288;199932
Taking this in with everything that you've already said, are you suggesting that when you take women from their "natural environment" as "protectors and nurturers", they have a tendency to become lazy and back stabbing? Or are you suggesting that their nature IS lazy and Back stabbing, and that that's why they should be kept away from Good, Hardworking Men?

Nature? Not at all. Remember, I specifically said that many of the women sailors were a real credit to the service. I love strong women...and expect some day to be a complement to one in particular.

No, the issue comes from sin and the tendency of many to seek the lazy and easy way at the expense of duty. And I'm not saying that men are exempt from this, by any means...I've known a lot of lazy and irresponsible men in the service. But adding the sexual aspect into the mix makes a bad situation worse. Again, this is based upon the observations of a friend, not my own personal experience. But it does reinforce my expectations.

You mention consequences. What do these consequences look like? How will they take shape? And how do we know that these consequences are specifically because a small percentage of the population didn't live life in a strictly heteronormative way?

It would be premature for me to be too specific about the precise consequences. I have made suggestions and I think he likes them, but he may have something else in mind which will be even better. But I do feel confident in saying that the specific consequences will be tailored to the individual, with the aim of requiring him to acknowledge and accept responsibility for his actions and then to make appropriate restitution to those who have been harmed.

Now, before I spend the night answering the other half-dozen posts in this thread addressed to me: This thread was started by a specific individual facing a specific issue. I initially posted because I thought that my experience with and what I have come to believe about the character of the God of the Bible would be helpful. There were some pointed questions—not that there is anything improper about that—and I got somewhat carried away with my responses. I may not have been the only one fanning the flames, but that's beside the point.

I'm not intending to duck the debate (although with my work schedule this week I may not have TIME to debate), but I do request that if you (plural) have any more questions you wish to me to address about the subjects I have brought up, that you consider placing them in a new thread specifically for those topics. I am intending to back off from this thread.
--------Eric H. Bowen
Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!
Computers are like air conditioning. They become useless when you open Windows—Linus Torvalds.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
Re: I've become a Christan, how to tell my best friend who hates Yahweh?
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2016, 11:05:18 pm »
Quote from: ehbowen;199973
Now, before I spend the night answering the other half-dozen posts in this thread addressed to me: This thread was started by a specific individual facing a specific issue. I initially posted because I thought that my experience with and what I have come to believe about the character of the God of the Bible would be helpful. There were some pointed questions—not that there is anything improper about that—and I got somewhat carried away with my responses. I may not have been the only one fanning the flames, but that's beside the point.

I'm not intending to duck the debate (although with my work schedule this week I may not have TIME to debate), but I do request that if you (plural) have any more questions you wish to me to address about the subjects I have brought up, that you consider placing them in a new thread specifically for those topics. I am intending to back off from this thread.

A Reminder:
Hi, everyone,

Eric is quite right that this is not relevant to the OP, and an unnecessary distraction from their issue. While thread drift happens, and we don't have rules against it, we do have one that says, 'The Senior Staff and Hosts reserve the right to moderate discussions, even if there are no rules violations, to preserve the quality of the discussion -- this includes imposing special rules on the discussion or asking unduly upset (or unruly) members to leave the discussion.' (In the 'Miscellaneous Rules' section, for those who want to read it in context.) I'm doing just that.

TC is, as its subtitle on the front page says, 'an interfaith community of Pagans and their friends;' as such, we're a pluralistic environment (and have several rules designed to support that pluralism). Eric has been a member here for eight and a half years - he's not a prolific poster, and has been mostly inactive for a few years, but he is a part of this community and one of the 'friends' referred to in that description. He earned that place in the community by, despite coming from a religious background not known for its pluralistic perspectives, learning how to interact here in a way that didn't infringe our pluralistic rules.

One of the ways that works is that the rest of us have extended to him a similar courtesy (see the rule that says, 'DO be tolerant of religions and opinions that differ from your own. You do not have to agree with them or support them, but you must be tolerant of those who express them. Others have as much right to hold and express their views as you do to hold and express yours'). That includes not baiting Eric with questions that require him to break rules to answer them honestly. No one has - quite - done that yet, but it's come closer than I like.

Those who still have genuine curiosity about Eric's religious/religion-related positions may ask questions either in his re-introduction thread or by private message.

Thank you,
Sunflower
TC Senior Staff
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Tags: