Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: An Asatru  (Read 1725 times)

LostPagan

• View Profile
An Asatru
« on: December 03, 2016, 05:07:57 pm »
So I have a question. I was reading up on my gods and goddesses and ran into a conundrum. According to my info our All-father had 2 wives. Skaldi and Frigga,which were two separate individuals. It has been debated that Frigga and Freya are the same entities. Is this true or is my source of knowledge incorrect. Someone please help me out with my issue. Thanks for your time. Hail the gods and may they watch over you.

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Re: An Asatru
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 05:34:51 pm »
Quote from: LostPagan;199738
So I have a question. I was reading up on my gods and goddesses and ran into a conundrum. According to my info our All-father had 2 wives. Skaldi and Frigga,which were two separate individuals. It has been debated that Frigga and Freya are the same entities. Is this true or is my source of knowledge incorrect. Someone please help me out with my issue. Thanks for your time. Hail the gods and may they watch over you.

Okay. You are conflating Odin and Njord. They are very much NOT the same.

Odin and Frigg are wed to each other, yes. They are both Aesir.

Njord, a Vanir, was wed for a time to Skaði, a jotuness (note spelling; not Skaldi).

Njord also had a spouse who is never named, their children were the twins Freyja and Freyr.

That's the super-condensed answer without all the bells and whistles. Wikipedia is actually a fair-to-decent resource on the basics about the Norse gods and goddesess. Might be worth spending an evening browsing around and reading up. Just be sure you don't get too sucked in!
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

Megatherium

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Heathen(ish)
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2016, 05:45:04 pm »
Quote from: LostPagan;199738

There are numerous mentions of Frigga as Odin's wife in Scandinavian literature, while the reference to Skadi as Odin's wife is limited to the Heimskringla. The debate over the nature of Frigga and Freya is an old one, and it has never really been resolved. It may well be that some Germanic cultures saw two distinct deities (more common in Scandinavia?) while others only saw one Fr-prefixed goddess (more common on the continent?).

Generally, it may be frustrating to expect the level of theological organization that characterizes Christianity, or even Greek or Roman polytheism from the Germanic traditions. There simply was not the level of political or religious organization required to create a singular mythology. Likely, every tribe had it's own ideas about the specific relationships between deities, and their own interpretations of each deities functions and utility.

In other words, there is no real "right" answer to your questions, and it probably varied between different groups. Some scholars have even argued there was no real Germanic pantheon, just different tribal deities who were arranged together in post-conversion literature (partly due to the Christian experience with Greek and Roman Religion, there may have been an expectation that all "pagan" religions had a similar structure). (You can read one such article here - http://odroerirjournal.com/pantheon-what-pantheon/ )

While some level of comfort with ambiguity is recommended for Heathens, I can understand how this could feel a bit awkward in practice. If you feel a strong need to choose a particular viewpoint in regards to your questions, I think Frigga as Odin's wife and Frigga and Freya being distinct are probably the more common interpretations among modern Heathens.
My views are one that speaks to freedom.
-George W. Bush

LostPagan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 07:48:43 pm »
Quote from: Megatherium;199741
There are numerous mentions of Frigga as Odin's wife in Scandinavian literature, while the reference to Skadi as Odin's wife is limited to the Heimskringla. The debate over the nature of Frigga and Freya is an old one, and it has never really been resolved. It may well be that some Germanic cultures saw two distinct deities (more common in Scandinavia?) while others only saw one Fr-prefixed goddess (more common on the continent?).

Generally, it may be frustrating to expect the level of theological organization that characterizes Christianity, or even Greek or Roman polytheism from the Germanic traditions. There simply was not the level of political or religious organization required to create a singular mythology. Likely, every tribe had it's own ideas about the specific relationships between deities, and their own interpretations of each deities functions and utility.

In other words, there is no real "right" answer to your questions, and it probably varied between different groups. Some scholars have even argued there was no real Germanic pantheon, just different tribal deities who were arranged together in post-conversion literature (partly due to the Christian experience with Greek and Roman Religion, there may have been an expectation that all "pagan" religions had a similar structure). (You can read one such article here - http://odroerirjournal.com/pantheon-what-pantheon/ )

While some level of comfort with ambiguity is recommended for Heathens, I can understand how this could feel a bit awkward in practice. If you feel a strong need to choose a particular viewpoint in regards to your questions, I think Frigga as Odin's wife and Frigga and Freya being distinct are probably the more common interpretations among modern Heathens.

In Heimskringla, Skaði is described as having split up with Njörðr and as later having married the god Odin, and that the two produced many children together.

That is from Wikipedia, also where my question originated from. Thank you all so much for the responses! I plan on acquiring more ACCURATE info. Like Odin I am always seeking knowledge.

Vixen

• Journeyman
  • We're all mad here
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pagan
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 04:34:40 am »
Quote from: Megatherium;199741
Some scholars have even argued there was no real Germanic pantheon, just different tribal deities who were arranged together in post-conversion literature (partly due to the Christian experience with Greek and Roman Religion, there may have been an expectation that all "pagan" religions had a similar structure). (You can read one such article here - http://odroerirjournal.com/pantheon-what-pantheon/ )

I would love to read more on this but the link wont work?
You're only given a little spark of madness, you mustn't lose it.

Megatherium

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Heathen(ish)
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 08:53:53 pm »
Quote from: Vixen;199780
I would love to read more on this but the link wont work?

Sorry if it doesn't work. The link works for me, and beyond that I have zero technical skills to say why it may not work for you. When I google the article name and author i get several links to it, so you can also try searching for "Pantheon? What Pantheon?" (subheading - Concepts of a Family of Gods in Pre-Christian Scandinavian Religions). The author is Terry Gunnell.
My views are one that speaks to freedom.
-George W. Bush

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 11:45:23 pm »
Quote from: Megatherium;199798
Sorry if it doesn't work. The link works for me, and beyond that I have zero technical skills to say why it may not work for you.

For me, it works for a minute or so, then redirects to something that doesn't. (That's on the Mac lappy; the desktop Linux box has some behavior issues lately so I haven't tried it there, but I might later.) Very odd.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2016, 11:48:31 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;199806
For me, it works for a minute or so, then redirects to something that doesn't. (That's on the Mac lappy; the desktop Linux box has some behavior issues lately so I haven't tried it there, but I might later.) Very odd.

And a second attempt on the lappy doesn't have that problem. Beats me.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Vixen

• Journeyman
  • We're all mad here
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pagan
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2016, 03:07:04 am »
Quote from: Megatherium;199798
Sorry if it doesn't work.  

I've tried on a different browser, my phone and my laptop. Neither will work. But I'll go and use google search, maybe I'll get a hit. Thank you for trying.

Edit: Found it! https://www.diva-portal.org/smash/get/diva2:883372/FULLTEXT01.pdf
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 03:09:14 am by Vixen »
You're only given a little spark of madness, you mustn't lose it.

Tags: