"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Author Topic: Paleopaganism, mesopaganism, and neo-paganism  (Read 2751 times)

EclecticWheel

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Christo-Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Paleopaganism, mesopaganism, and neo-paganism
« on: December 02, 2016, 01:37:51 am »
This question came to mind after reading a thread on whether Kemetic reconstructionism qualifies as neo-pagan.  The general consensus was that it does qualify as neo-pagan because it is an outgrowth of the various religious and social forces that make up the neo-pagan movement.  

I read a bit on Isaac Bonewits' terms paleopagan, mesopagan, and neo-pagan, and mesopagan groups tend to be influenced by monotheistic religions and dualism according to his definition.

Some definitions I came across included even Thelema, Sikhism, and Voodoo under the umbrella of mesopaganism, although I am not sure how most members of those groups would feel about the term.  I know some practitioners of Voodoo do not care to be lumped under the pagan umbrella.

What about Christopagan?  Would such spiritualities and practices generally be considered mesopagan or neo-pagan?  I suppose this could vary depending on how monotheistic the given flavor of Christopagan is?  Or perhaps one may prefer other kinds of distinctions than these?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 01:45:57 am by EclecticWheel »
My personal moral code:

Love wisely, and do what thou wilt.

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
Re: Paleopaganism, mesopaganism, and neo-paganism
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 11:11:07 am »
Quote from: EclecticWheel;199657
What about Christopagan?  Would such spiritualities and practices generally be considered mesopagan or neo-pagan?  I suppose this could vary depending on how monotheistic the given flavor of Christopagan is?  Or perhaps one may prefer other kinds of distinctions than these?

Very few people who identify themselves as Christopagan have a pagan side of things that does not derive from the neopagan movement or, occasionally, its close sibling, the New Age movement.  I mean, I'm sure there's one out there but I've never met 'em.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Jabberwocky

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 11:38:53 am »
Quote from: EclecticWheel;199657
This question came to mind after reading a thread on whether Kemetic reconstructionism qualifies as neo-pagan.  The general consensus was that it does qualify as neo-pagan because it is an outgrowth of the various religious and social forces that make up the neo-pagan movement.  

I read a bit on Isaac Bonewits' terms paleopagan, mesopagan, and neo-pagan, and mesopagan groups tend to be influenced by monotheistic religions and dualism according to his definition.

Some definitions I came across included even Thelema, Sikhism, and Voodoo under the umbrella of mesopaganism, although I am not sure how most members of those groups would feel about the term.  I know some practitioners of Voodoo do not care to be lumped under the pagan umbrella.

While I like some of Bonewits writings, on this one I don't think he's that useful.  His definitions seem to be invented primarily to exclude pagans he doesn't like from his clubhouse.

And to tell us how the Satanists stole his lunch money. Again.
Your heart is a muscle as big as your fist.

EclecticWheel

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 04:55:23 pm »
Quote from: Jabberwocky;199686
While I like some of Bonewits writings, on this one I don't think he's that useful.  His definitions seem to be invented primarily to exclude pagans he doesn't like from his clubhouse.

Well he did lump a lot of people under the mesopagan term that may not be comfortable with it and he included Buddhism as a qualifying influence for mesopagans in addition to Christianity, although I am not sure why.

I suppose because of the dualistic aspects of some streams of Buddhism, but it did feel like lots of groups were being artificially lumped together.

Do Satanists usually identify as neo-pagan?  I think I only came across a few who did online.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 04:58:08 pm by EclecticWheel »
My personal moral code:

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 05:27:54 pm »
Quote from: EclecticWheel;199691

Do Satanists usually identify as neo-pagan?  I think I only came across a few who did online.

Depends on the Satanist. Some do. Some don't.

(Satanism is another term - like "Wicca", when used without qualification - where there's about eight different ways people might be using the term, and people use it in vastly different and some mutually exclusive ways.)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

EclecticWheel

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 11:44:16 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;199693
Depends on the Satanist. Some do. Some don't.

(Satanism is another term - like "Wicca", when used without qualification - where there's about eight different ways people might be using the term, and people use it in vastly different and some mutually exclusive ways.)

Traditional British Wicca was another group he lumped under Mesopaganism, but I was pretty sure that was considered neo-pagan even if there was some influence from the Golden Dawn, Christianity, etc.

Are there any more useful distinctions than these?  They're the only ones I have come across.
My personal moral code:

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2016, 11:00:41 am »
Quote from: EclecticWheel;199712
Are there any more useful distinctions than these?  They're the only ones I have come across.

Well, it depends on what sort of distinctions you want to make, and why. Different approaches are useful for different things; no one approach is likely to be universally useful.

I'd been thinking of, but hadn't got to, responding to your original post to say that, while the paleo-, meso- and neo-Paganism distinctions are useful for some things, they didn't strike me as being at all useful for discussing the relationship between Christopaganisms and the contemporary pagan movement.

So the question is, what exactly are you trying to accomplish? That'd help us figure out what'd be useful.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Yei

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Mexica Reconstructionism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2016, 03:48:22 pm »
Quote from: Jabberwocky;199686

This may be the most trivial post I've made on this site to date, but I think that 'A Satanist stole my lunch money' would be a great slogan to put on a t-shirt.

EclecticWheel

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2016, 08:56:15 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;199728
Well, it depends on what sort of distinctions you want to make, and why. Different approaches are useful for different things; no one approach is likely to be universally useful.

I'd been thinking of, but hadn't got to, responding to your original post to say that, while the paleo-, meso- and neo-Paganism distinctions are useful for some things, they didn't strike me as being at all useful for discussing the relationship between Christopaganisms and the contemporary pagan movement.

So the question is, what exactly are you trying to accomplish? That'd help us figure out what'd be useful.

Sunflower

Well my thoughts have been meandering.  To keep it to the original post I was mainly wondering if Christopaganisms working only with Abrahamic deities are still neo-pagan even though most definitions I have read of neo-paganism tend to define it as based on non-Abrahamic religions dead and living.

As was pointed out in the thread on Kemeticism I thought it was more useful to approach the question from the angle of the social and religious origins of a practice.  That would include non-theistic, pop culture, and modern culture practices under the neo-pagan umbrella, too, I think.  I don't think it makes sense to exclude them from the neo-pagan framework.

I had wondered if Christopaganism is mesopagan, but I think Darkhawk's point on that makes more sense.
My personal moral code:

Tags: