collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Intro for Grey Bear  (Read 1504 times)

Grey Bear

• Jr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Intro for Grey Bear
« on: December 01, 2016, 10:26:04 am »
Greetings, I am new here and new to Wicca. I am seeking to practice as a solitary eclectic practitioner. I am 52 and married, My wife does not share my path, but is supportive. I am disabled with Rheumatoid Arthritis, Ulcerative Colitis, and Fibromyalgia. I am in pain all the time and suffer from exhaustion from my illnesses. In spite of my ill health I am seeking a spiritual path that resonates with my being. I believe this to be Wicca. I am reading all I can online and watching youtube videos.  I am reading Scott Cunningham's wonderful book, "Wicca: a guide for the solitary practitioner.  I plan to get Cunningham's other book, "Living Wicca". I do not plan to do any rituals for a while until I am comfortable and knowledgeable in a few Wiccan subjects. That all being said, I am also very glad to be here. :)

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Intro for Grey Bear
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 11:59:37 am »
Quote from: Grey Bear;199603
Greetings, I am new here and new to Wicca. I am seeking to practice as a solitary eclectic practitioner. I am 52 and married, My wife does not share my path, but is supportive. I am disabled with Rheumatoid Arthritis, Ulcerative Colitis, and Fibromyalgia. I am in pain all the time and suffer from exhaustion from my illnesses. In spite of my ill health I am seeking a spiritual path that resonates with my being. I believe this to be Wicca. I am reading all I can online and watching youtube videos.  I am reading Scott Cunningham's wonderful book, "Wicca: a guide for the solitary practitioner.  I plan to get Cunningham's other book, "Living Wicca". I do not plan to do any rituals for a while until I am comfortable and knowledgeable in a few Wiccan subjects. That all being said, I am also very glad to be here. :)

Welcome! We have a number of other posters here with chronic illness issues and disabilities (and both). If you haven't already discovered it, you may want to check out our Chavi Memorial Chronic Illness SIG folder.

I also have a website focused on people interested in religious witchcraft (including but not limited to Wicca: I identify as a initiatory religious witch for reasons the site goes into more, even though my practice falls into what a lot of people call Wicca).

There's an article specifically on Pagan practice and chronic illness that might be useful to you, but the rest of the site may also help with some common terms/ideas/etc. that are often badly explained in a lot of books.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Grey Bear

• Jr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 03:33:19 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;199608
Welcome! We have a number of other posters here with chronic illness issues and disabilities (and both). If you haven't already discovered it, you may want to check out our Chavi Memorial Chronic Illness SIG folder.

I also have a website focused on people interested in religious witchcraft (including but not limited to Wicca: I identify as a initiatory religious witch for reasons the site goes into more, even though my practice falls into what a lot of people call Wicca).

There's an article specifically on Pagan practice and chronic illness that might be useful to you, but the rest of the site may also help with some common terms/ideas/etc. that are often badly explained in a lot of books.

Thanks for the link and the welcome. Nice to meet you.

Grey Bear

• Jr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 03:48:27 pm »
Jenett,  I found the article on alternatives to incense very helpful, and my wife has allergies and asthma. She asked me not to burn incense.  I had thought of using a mesh bag and putting some cinnamon sticks and cloves in it for scent.

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 03:57:56 pm »
Quote from: Grey Bear;199623
Jenett,  I found the article on alternatives to incense very helpful, and my wife has allergies and asthma. She asked me not to burn incense.  I had thought of using a mesh bag and putting some cinnamon sticks and cloves in it for scent.
Potpourri is a great idea, provided it doesn't set off anyone's allergies. If you like Scott Cunningham, his book "Incense Oils and Brews" has a lot of recipes for scented sachets.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Voren

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: spiritual
  • Preferred Pronouns: Xe/Xir/Xes
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 07:46:05 pm »

Hello and welcome, sorry you are in pain all the time I wish I could help.
-Voren
(aka Sou\'r-Ghi\'den)

The Singularity

Arim

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2016, 11:12:36 pm »
Greetings Grey Bear,

I'm sorry to hear the pain you're going through. I too, am new into Wicca. It's nice to know you, I'm Arim :)

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2016, 03:19:51 am »

Welcome to TC!
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Immortal

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2016, 11:58:54 pm »

Hi Grey Bear,

I too have Fibro and i have read both those books a few months back. I found them a little dry. But a good place to start. I like Cunningham's oils etc book and his kitchen herb type of books better. I'll be posting my intro after I read a few more. But where I am going is in my sig for general reference.

Love and Welcome, and I hope you feel better. I know that sounds odd coming from one who has Fibro, but there are ways to feel better...

Immortal
Pagan/New Age Shaman wannabe, baby Druid, studying Wicca. I want to be an Interfaith Minister. I have been a Christian, a baby Buddhist and an atheist (kind of).

Tags: