patchwork_savage is on a distinguished road patchwork_savage's Avatar
    Last Online
    20 Jan 2017 @ 02:30 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Eclectic Spiritualist

Spirits in Graveyards

I have been able to see or sense spirits for awhile now. There was one day I decided to go to a graveyard to take photographs of grave stones of family members. Well the thing was I felt a spirit that was different. It had a stronger energy than that of a normal spirit. To me the term guardian came to mind sort of like each graveyard has a guardian awaiting for spirits when their bodies have been buried there. I was curious of any others have experienced something similar?

Journeyman Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Dynes Hysbys is on a distinguished road Dynes Hysbys's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:07 PM
    Country
    Wales
    Religion
    Cunningcraft

Re: Spirits in Graveyards

Quote Originally Posted by patchwork_savage View Post
    I have been able to see or sense spirits for awhile now. There was one day I decided to go to a graveyard to take photographs of grave stones of family members. Well the thing was I felt a spirit that was different. It had a stronger energy than that of a normal spirit. To me the term guardian came to mind sort of like each graveyard has a guardian awaiting for spirits when their bodies have been buried there. I was curious of any others have experienced something similar?
    Yes - most if not all have a Guardian. In Wales we have yr Angau who fulfils the role being the last person to die in the year. S/he does duty for a year then retires to make way for the next one

Master Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    MeadowRae is on a distinguished road MeadowRae's Avatar
    Last Online
    21 Apr 2017 @ 09:31 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Pantheist Pagan
    Pronouns
    She/her/hers

Quote Originally Posted by Dynes Hysbys View Post
    Yes - most if not all have a Guardian. In Wales we have yr Angau who fulfils the role being the last person to die in the year. S/he does duty for a year then retires to make way for the next one
    I have a great sense of comfort in cemeteries, and I have felt a presence standing guard. This makes a lot of sense. I wonder why people feel uncomfortable in cemeteries so often? Is it simply a fear of death?

Senior Newbie Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points
    patchwork_savage is on a distinguished road patchwork_savage's Avatar
    Last Online
    20 Jan 2017 @ 02:30 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Eclectic Spiritualist

Quote Originally Posted by MeadowRae View Post
    I have a great sense of comfort in cemeteries, and I have felt a presence standing guard. This makes a lot of sense. I wonder why people feel uncomfortable in cemeteries so often? Is it simply a fear of death?
    I have come to the conclusion that cemeteries to some people does represent death. I used to have the same fear but I grew from it when I began to understand my abilities.

Staff Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends5000 Experience Points
    Emma Eldritch is a glorious beacon of light Emma Eldritch is a glorious beacon of light Emma Eldritch is a glorious beacon of light Emma Eldritch is a glorious beacon of light Emma Eldritch is a glorious beacon of light Emma Eldritch is a glorious beacon of light Emma Eldritch's Avatar
    Last Online
    20 Apr 2017 @ 10:26 PM
    Country
    Canada
    Religion
    witchcraft
    Pronouns
    she/her/hers

I'd say so, yes. A big ol' tombstone saying "as I am, so shall you be" can freak people out. (I once saw a gravestone that read simply, "I will return" which had me moderately concerned that a zombie was about to pop up.)

As for guardian spirits in cemeteries, it seems like a lot of cultures do have a gatekeeper figure for the dead.
    (the artist formerly known as Mama Fortuna)
    Rock-n-Roll Witch - the blog
    in the violet hour to the violent sound - the tumblr

Journeyman Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsYour first GroupVeteran
    Gaudior is on a distinguished road Gaudior's Avatar
    Last Online
    10 Jan 2017 @ 10:25 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan
    Pronouns
    she/her/hers

I think you nailed it---most people don't like to think about death. But I find a lot of comfort in cemeteries. And I agree that they have guardians. Whatever they are, angels, sidhe, or ancestral spirits...there's something there.
    “We have to dare to be ourselves, however frightening or strange that self may prove to be." — May Sarton

Don't let my eggies die :D

Senior Newbie Plutarch is on a distinguished road Plutarch's Avatar
    Last Online
    16 Mar 2017 @ 05:54 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Mystical Christian

I'm definitely not afraid of death. I've worked in a hospital setting where I was around death quite often and while it did take some time getting used to, I know some of my friends are way more squeamish around it than I am. You can tell by just the way they act at funerals and stuff.

Anyway, cemeteries do not bother me in the slightest. I've jogged through them, I walk by them at night. I've always believed they were just the resting place for mortal remains and whatever spirit was in those bodies have long since left, so really, they're just a tract of ordinary land.

Having said that, there's one cemetery where I live (about 15 miles away) that is the creepiest cemetery I've ever been to. To this day, it makes me extremely uncomfortable even just driving by it. From what I can tell, it's basically been abandoned with the last person to be buried there was in the mid-1990s. Some of the graves go as far back as the 1600s, which is creepy, in and of itself.

I mean really, I guess it's more "sad" than "creepy" if you really think about it--the fact that no one takes care of it anymore and all the grass gets overgrown, etc. Some of the tombstones look like they've fallen over decades ago and have never been fixed.

But it's just so far away from a main road, in the middle of nowhere, with no church or anything around it. And it's so old. You can't get much more creepy than that.

The local urban legend is that the place is haunted, but I've never seen any ghosts. I will say, however, that I once went there with some friends at night and we took some pictures and when we looked at them later on that night on the computer, we actually did spot a few orbs in the photos!

Journeyman Achievements:
    Overdrive31 days registered500 Experience Points
    sevensons can only hope to improve sevensons's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:11 AM
    Country
    UK
    Religion
    Mysticism

Quote Originally Posted by Dynes Hysbys View Post
    I hung around a cemetery just round the corner from my house when I was young I never felt a presence then. now its like I'm a portal non stop all day every day good bad week strong loving nasty. I'm on constant excise duty. the one's that teach me secrets are welcome.

Senior Newbie Achievements:
    7 days registered100 Experience Points
    NightSpook is on a distinguished road NightSpook's Avatar
    Last Online
    21 Apr 2017 @ 12:42 PM
    Country
    UK
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan
    Pronouns
    she/her

Quote Originally Posted by sevensons View Post
    I have always found a sense of peace and calm within graveyards and frequent them alot. As a teenager the local graveyard was my go to place to sit and be alone when I felt the weight of the world upon me. I have come across guardians a few times, feeling and sensing them just on the outskirts of the place I have sat.
    Last edited by SunflowerP; 26 Mar 2017 at 01:34 AM. Reason: fixing quote code

Senior Staff Achievements:
    Three FriendsYour first GroupCreated Album picturesOverdriveRecommendation Second Class
    SunflowerP is a splendid one to behold SunflowerP is a splendid one to behold SunflowerP is a splendid one to behold SunflowerP is a splendid one to behold SunflowerP is a splendid one to behold SunflowerP is a splendid one to behold SunflowerP is a splendid one to behold SunflowerP's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:04 PM
    Country
    Canada
    Religion
    Religious Witchcraft
    Pronouns
    sie/hir/hirs

Quote Originally Posted by NightSpook View Post
    Hi, NightSpook,

It looks like you've been tripping over a bug in the forum software we use. When you delete all the text from a quote (which is completely fine!), you have to either replace it with something (<snip> or an ellipsis or whatever), or hit 'enter' to put the opening and closing quote codes on different lines, or else the quote vanishes. (It's still there, it's just invisible in the post. Yeah, weird, I know.) I've fixed this for you in a couple of posts, but I thought I'd better let you know so you could avoid it. Most people find it easiest to just hit 'enter' once they've deleted the text, but you can use whatever works best for you.

This isn't a formal warning, just a FYI. No reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification, please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!
    Sunflower
    TC Forum Staff
    Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    I do so have a life. I just live part of it online.
    “Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
    to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
    "Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
    My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast