Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 06:39:30 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Yei
[Today at 06:03:12 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 04:12:49 pm]

"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Author Topic: Music: Your Most Hated Christmas Song, 2016 Edition  (Read 9032 times)

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
Your Most Hated Christmas Song, 2016 Edition
« on: November 26, 2016, 11:02:21 pm »
Now that USian Turkey Day (and Black Friday) are past, it's probably not too early to post this thread.

It's an old Cauldron tradition (but one that slipped by the wayside - again! - last year) to have a thread for griping about those cheesy, insipid, overplayed Christmas songs that make us want to get a copy on vinyl or CD for the sheer satisfaction of smashing it to bits. This is that thread!

I'll start it off (again) with Bruce Springsteen's take on 'Santa Claus is Coming to Town'. No, Bruce, just NO.

What's yours?

Sunflower
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 05:23:24 pm by RandallS »
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Cabal

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Belgae Polytheism
Re: Your Most Hated Christmas Song, 2016 Edition
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2016, 11:30:34 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;199438
Now that USian Turkey Day (and Black Friday) are past, it's probably not too early to post this thread.

It's an old Cauldron tradition (but one that slipped by the wayside - again! - last year) to have a thread for griping about those cheesy, insipid, overplayed Christmas songs that make us want to get a copy on vinyl or CD for the sheer satisfaction of smashing it to bits. This is that thread!

I'll start it off (again) with Bruce Springsteen's take on 'Santa Claus is Coming to Town'. No, Bruce, just NO.

What's yours?

Sunflower
It's any version of Santa Claus is coming to town! When I worked retail, they played like 5 different versions of that song. I got so sick of hearing I almost cracked! Lol
"In Hell, everybody loves popcorn."

Dynes Hysbys

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Cunning Craft
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 06:04:56 am »

What's yours?

Sunflower

I hate all of them.  I tend to exit a shop rapidly if they are playing Christmas muzak so you won't find me in many stores between now and January.

Top of the loathe list though is Santa Baby (any version), or is it Frosty the Snowman or possibly the execrable "Grandma got run over by a reindeer"?

Castus

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Happy Science
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2016, 07:44:30 am »

What's yours?

Sunflower

As I have done in years past, I denounce you all as hate-filled Grinches. Christmas music is wonderful and I never tire of it ^_^
“Castus, meanwhile, goes straight for the bad theology like one of those creepy fish that swims up streams of pee.” — Darkhawk

“Believing in the Lord means you are connected to me no matter when you are poor, sick, or struggling in a relationship. I am always with you. I want you to believe that. The future is uncertain, and much suffering awaits. However, the mission of the believer is to live life doing their best, no matter what the circumstances.” — Ryuho Okawa

MeadowRae

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pantheist Pagan Witch with Celtic Leanings
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/He/She
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 08:30:25 am »
Quote from: Cryfder;199439
It's any version of Santa Claus is coming to town! When I worked retail, they played like 5 different versions of that song. I got so sick of hearing I almost cracked! Lol

Baby It's Cold Outside and Santa Baby. Any version. They're just creepy.
The genderqueer witch your mother warned you about

Sarah

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2016, 09:21:13 am »
Quote from: MeadowRae;199445
Baby It's Cold Outside and Santa Baby. Any version. They're just creepy.

so much this! It's so rapey
Knowing when to use a shovel is what being a witch is all about. Nanny Ogg, Witches Abroad

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2016, 01:38:09 pm »

What's yours?

Sunflower

Uhh... All of them? Yeah. All of them.

I worked in customer service for a solid decade, so I've heard every version of every song about fourteen hundred times. Christmas carols just inspire murder thoughts for me. There are only three exceptions:

by the Ramones, because it's the Ramones.

Carol of the Bells, because it's creepy sounding.

And I don't mind "."

Basically, if I can pretend it's not Christmas music I'm fine. But if there's jingling bells and shepherds and snow it just makes me pray for Krampus. (That said, I'm not a complete grinch - I have a list of holiday movies that are a surefire antidote for all the hideous piles of sappy garbage they play from November to December 26th.)

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2016, 04:21:59 pm »
What's yours?

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas and Baby It's Cold Outside. The first one reads as extremely passive-aggressive to me, to the point where I want to punch whatever speaker it's blaring out of, and the second one is the Christmas date-rape song.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

AsraiDouglas

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2016, 04:41:42 pm »

What's yours?

Basically...all of them.  It's a combination of trauma from too many years working retail, and a general disdain for sappiness and kitsch.

There's a single holiday album I'll listen to: Barenaked Ladies' "Barenaked For The Holidays"

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2016, 05:01:05 pm »
Quote from: AsraiDouglas;199457
Basically...all of them.  It's a combination of trauma from too many years working retail, and a general disdain for sappiness and kitsch.

There's a single holiday album I'll listen to: Barenaked Ladies' "Barenaked For The Holidays"
I'd have to say my least favorite is any rendition of "Last Christmas." Any time I hear it I throw up a little.
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2016, 09:58:55 pm »
Quote from: Morag;199455
... the Christmas date-rape song.

... Jesus. It is.  And I just played back Harry Connick Jr's vocal part in my head.  Creepy.

My pick: ""  (Basically the Yuletide edition of "We Are the World.")  Good vocal performances in there, but what could've been good, starts off bland and finally veers off to worse.  And don't bother with the 2014 remake.

I'll also hang this one here: "Silent Night" You'll either love it or want to stave in your years with icepicks.  Up to you.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Demophon

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2016, 10:08:48 pm »

What's yours?

Sunflower

Pretty much all secular Christmas songs are super annoying, but I wait all year to binge on carols sung by the Choir of King's College, Cambridge.

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2016, 09:38:54 am »
Quote from: MadZealot;199463
I'll also hang this one here: "Silent Night" You'll either love it or want to stave in your years with icepicks.  Up to you.

I love that entire album. Makes me laugh so hard.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2016, 10:02:54 am »
Quote from: Demophon;199464
Pretty much all secular Christmas songs are super annoying, but I wait all year to binge on carols sung by the Choir of King's College, Cambridge.

+1. Despite liking a fair bit of secular Christmas music that deviates from the 'sweetness and light' mould (think Trans-Siberian Orchestra, Nox Arcana, Midnight Syndicate), King's simply reigns supreme. I have downloaded the last three years of their Nine Lessons and Carols services from YouTube, so I can indulge even offline.
'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
~St Augustine~
Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

Beryl

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2016, 01:40:16 pm »
Quote from: MadZealot;199463
... Jesus. It is.  And I just played back Harry Connick Jr's vocal part in my head.  Creepy.

I don't mind versions older than about 1960, as I think the song was intended somewhat tongue in cheek - she never says she *wants* to leave, only that she should/people will talk/worry. To my mind, it was originally a song about a woman who very much wants to spend the night with her date but, it being the 40s/50s, can't actually come out and say so, she has to go through all the silly motions of "oh, no, I mustn't! Haha, have you put something in my drink, you naughty boy?" so as to maintain her reputation because after all, it would have been *dangerous* to try and get home in a blizzard, she really had no other choice!

Which, I mean, is certainly not UN-problematic, but I tend to see it as poking fun at the whole "maintain your good-girl image" thing.

That said, obviously "he's talking her into something she doesn't want" is a perfectly valid reading of the song, and I find more recent renditions, recorded when (while shaming women for wanting sex certainly hasn't vanished) it was increasingly socially acceptable for unmarried people to have sex lives, very uncomfortable, however they try to play it as tongue in cheek.

In terms of most hated Christmas song, it's usually whatever insipid cover version is on the current John Lewis advert, but I don't think this year's ad had one, so probably going to have to go with White Christmas, just because it's vastly overplayed and not actually all *that* good.

Tags: