Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Coming Soon: A Cauldron Holiday Tradition  (Read 6372 times)

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Coming Soon: A Cauldron Holiday Tradition
« on: November 25, 2016, 10:15:39 am »
"Up All Night" 2016 is coming!

The night straddling Tuesday, December 20/Wednesday, December 21 marks the 2016 solstice: the summer solstice (longest day of the year) in the southern hemisphere, and the winter solstice (longest night of the year) in the north. At the Cauldron we have a habit of celebrating the December solstice with a cyber party that starts at sunset (wherever you are) and ends at sunrise (wherever you are), during which time we “gather” electronically in this space--posting anything and everything (but still within forum rules, of course) in a special Up All Night thread that opens on the solstice, and talking relentlessly to help each other stay up all night—or simply for as long as one wants to stay awake and participate. Northern hemisphere or south, pagan or not, staying up all night long or just dropping in while you’re awake…it doesn’t matter, because everyone is welcome at Up All Night: A Technopagan Solstice Celebration!

The festivities will begin at sunset on Tuesday evening, December 20. We have a non-theme each year—an idea that can serve as an inspiration/organizing thought for posts, but that can be completely ignored (which is why we call it a “non-theme”). This year’s non-theme is:

Making it through the dark times

(Seasonal, political, personal,…interpret that as you will, or turn a blind eye to the non-theme and post/chat about whatever you want)

So let's use this space to start warming up: Who's going to join in on the fun this year? And (regardless of whether or not you plan to pull the full all-nighter) what are your top suggestions for staying awake?
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

AsraiDouglas

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Coming Soon: A Cauldron Holiday Tradition...
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 12:32:27 pm »
Quote from: Altair;199393

So let's use this space to start warming up: Who's going to join in on the fun this year? And (regardless of whether or not you plan to pull the full all-nighter) what are your top suggestions for staying awake?

I love this idea!  I'm all in.

I've done lots of all-nighters (voluntarily, and not-so-voluntarily) and I'm actually not big on caffeine for keeping myself awake.  Helping to wake up, and a little extra pep, sure.  But otherwise, I just get tired and jittery.  

I'll sip on tea if I have to be up late working, but I'll usually also set up at my kitchen table which is a not-sleepy space and put on some music I want to sing and dance to.

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 02:16:37 pm »
Quote from: AsraiDouglas;199398
I love this idea!  I'm all in.

I've done lots of all-nighters (voluntarily, and not-so-voluntarily) and I'm actually not big on caffeine for keeping myself awake.  Helping to wake up, and a little extra pep, sure.  But otherwise, I just get tired and jittery.  

I'll sip on tea if I have to be up late working, but I'll usually also set up at my kitchen table which is a not-sleepy space and put on some music I want to sing and dance to.

Excellent, Asrai! Looking forward to having you join the party.

I second "music to sing and dance to." If it's something I know the lyrics to and love to sing along with, that is even better than having food to chew in keeping me awake.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 06:13:26 pm »

Although lack of sleep is a Bad Idea for me health-wise, I'm glad to see this TC tradition continue! I'll likely drop in in the evening to see what's happening.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2016, 06:50:54 pm »
Who's going to join in on the fun this year?

I'm in, as always!

I'll note that, as well as this thread, there are usually people in TC MUX Chat - it's a good time to check out the MUX as a guest; or if you've been thinking about getting a MUX account but haven't got around to it, making sure you do so before UAN is a good incentive.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2016, 08:11:13 pm »

I'm always in! (The year it doubled as a certain book launch party was particularly good. ;) )

As usual, I'm not going to stay up all night, especially as, for the first time in several years, the day after is not a holiday for me. On the bright side, I'll be sure not to oversleep and miss the sunrise, as that would mean missing my bus as well!

I've found that, unless there's a full-on party going, there's no staying alert all through the night. After 3am, everyone flags. It's better to schedule 30-minute catnaps in between activities, rather than try to push through. Pushing through tends to involve too much food and/or caffeine, both of which are likely to be regretted the day after. A 'taking turns keeping watch' can work particularly well if you're not alone.
'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
~St Augustine~
Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2016, 07:14:31 am »
Quote from: Chatelaine;199412
I'm always in! (The year it doubled as a certain book launch party was particularly good. ;) )

Wasn't that just fantabulous? ;)

Glad to hear you guys will be with us again, Chatelaine and Sefiru! And Sunflower, I know that should there ever come a time when I'm unable to fulfill my UAN duties, you'd step in to organize it in my stead. So we're in good hands.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 07:14:53 am by Altair »

MeadowRae

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pantheist Pagan Witch with Celtic Leanings
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/He/She
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2016, 07:59:33 am »
Quote from: Altair;199421
Wasn't that just fantabulous? ;)

Glad to hear you guys will be with us again, Chatelaine and Sefiru! And Sunflower, I know that should there ever come a time when I'm unable to fulfill my UAN duties, you'd step in to organize it in my stead. So we're in good hands.

I love the topic, seems fitting for 2016. I will be chiming in here and there, as my son wakes up several times a night. Glad to see the tradition continue!
The genderqueer witch your mother warned you about

Phouka

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2016, 04:16:52 pm »

The night straddling Tuesday, December 20/Wednesday, December 21 marks the 2016 solstice: the summer solstice (longest day of the year) in the southern hemisphere, and the winter solstice (longest night of the year) in the north. At the Cauldron we have a habit of celebrating the December solstice with a cyber party that starts at sunset (wherever you are) and ends at sunrise (wherever you are), during which time we “gather” electronically in this space--posting anything and everything (but still within forum rules, of course) in a special Up All Night thread that opens on the solstice, and talking relentlessly to help each other stay up all night—or simply for as long as one wants to stay awake and participate. Northern hemisphere or south, pagan or not, staying up all night long or just dropping in while you’re awake…it doesn’t matter, because everyone is welcome at Up All Night: A Technopagan Solstice Celebration!

The festivities will begin at sunset on Tuesday evening, December 20. We have a non-theme each year—an idea that can serve as an inspiration/organizing thought for posts, but that can be completely ignored (which is why we call it a “non-theme”). This year’s non-theme is:

(Seasonal, political, personal,…interpret that as you will, or turn a blind eye to the non-theme and post/chat about whatever you want)

I'll be there. I've not been before,  but it will be fun.

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2016, 02:09:38 pm »
Quote from: Phouka;199430
I'll be there. I've not been before,  but it will be fun.

Yay, a virgin sacrifice! ;) Glad you'll be joining us, Phouka, and you too, Meadowrae

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2016, 08:47:26 pm »

Lyric and I would like to thank you for running this event again this year. Without you, it probably would not happen -- or if it happened would be but a shadow of what is when you make it happen. :)

Lyric and I will be there in spirit while out old bodies sleep. Of course, as we live much further north (northeast Ohio instead of north central Texas) than we used to, we may actually be up and around as the sun sets and rises.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2016, 07:58:04 am »
Quote from: RandallS;199462
Lyric and I would like to thank you for running this event again this year.

Always my pleasure...but the real thanks go to you guys, Randall and Lyric, for letting us use this space year after year for our cybercelebration.

Lyric and I will be there in spirit while out old bodies sleep. Of course, as we live much further north (northeast Ohio instead of north central Texas) than we used to, we may actually be up and around as the sun sets and rises.

I forget that you guys aren't in Texas anymore. Ohio has got to be a complete change of environment.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2016, 06:18:07 pm »
Quote from: Altair;199473
Always my pleasure...but the real thanks go to you guys, Randall and Lyric, for letting us use this space year after year for our cybercelebration.

This is what TC is for. :) Lyric and I just can't do as much as we once did.

I forget that you guys aren't in Texas anymore. Ohio has got to be a complete change of environment.

It's definitely much different climate-wise -- and so far in a very good way for Lyric's MS. Ohio's version of "HOT weather" and what we consider "HOT weather" are very different. The humidity can be high here too, but without the super-high temps of central Texas, it does not seem to bother Lyric as much. We will see what winter does to her, however. But winter (aka cold weather) here is shorter than summer (aka hot and humid weather) in central Texas. Being in a state with mostly "normal" Republicans instead of mostly wing-nuts is different (and in a very good way) too. Even better, our local reps are Democrats!
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2016, 01:43:33 pm »
This year’s non-theme is:

Very apropos theme, Altair. Well chosen.

I will be here for at least part of the evening as one of the European sentinels of the Yuletide. Not sure how long I'll stay up for, but I'll give it my best.
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2016, 05:10:04 pm »

UAN is my favorite holiday!! I've been excited since the summer solstice--somehow it just seems to bring everyone closer together.

The theme, I think, is especially relevant and well-chosen, and will be a nice addition to our night. :)

I'll definitely be hanging out in chat from before sunset Pacific time 'til...whenever I can make it. Maybe somebody can get a Cards Against Humanity game started?

Thanks, Altair!
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

Tags: