+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Adept Member

Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:19 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    tree-hugging neopagan

Coming Soon: A Cauldron Holiday Tradition

"Up All Night" 2016 is coming!

The night straddling Tuesday, December 20/Wednesday, December 21 marks the 2016 solstice: the summer solstice (longest day of the year) in the southern hemisphere, and the winter solstice (longest night of the year) in the north. At the Cauldron we have a habit of celebrating the December solstice with a cyber party that starts at sunset (wherever you are) and ends at sunrise (wherever you are), during which time we “gather” electronically in this space--posting anything and everything (but still within forum rules, of course) in a special Up All Night thread that opens on the solstice, and talking relentlessly to help each other stay up all night—or simply for as long as one wants to stay awake and participate. Northern hemisphere or south, pagan or not, staying up all night long or just dropping in while you’re awake…it doesn’t matter, because everyone is welcome at Up All Night: A Technopagan Solstice Celebration!

The festivities will begin at sunset on Tuesday evening, December 20. We have a non-theme each year—an idea that can serve as an inspiration/organizing thought for posts, but that can be completely ignored (which is why we call it a “non-theme”). This year’s non-theme is:

Making it through the dark times

(Seasonal, political, personal,…interpret that as you will, or turn a blind eye to the non-theme and post/chat about whatever you want)

So let's use this space to start warming up: Who's going to join in on the fun this year? And (regardless of whether or not you plan to pull the full all-nighter) what are your top suggestions for staying awake?

Apprentice Achievements:
    100 Experience Points31 days registered
    AsraiDouglas is on a distinguished road AsraiDouglas's Avatar
    Last Online
    20 Jan 2017 @ 12:21 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Celtic Recon/Hedge-witch

Re: Coming Soon: A Cauldron Holiday Tradition...

Quote Originally Posted by Altair View Post
    So let's use this space to start warming up: Who's going to join in on the fun this year? And (regardless of whether or not you plan to pull the full all-nighter) what are your top suggestions for staying awake?
    I love this idea! I'm all in.

I've done lots of all-nighters (voluntarily, and not-so-voluntarily) and I'm actually not big on caffeine for keeping myself awake. Helping to wake up, and a little extra pep, sure. But otherwise, I just get tired and jittery.

I'll sip on tea if I have to be up late working, but I'll usually also set up at my kitchen table which is a not-sleepy space and put on some music I want to sing and dance to.

Adept Member

Achievements:
    Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair's Avatar
    Last Online
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    tree-hugging neopagan

Quote Originally Posted by AsraiDouglas View Post
    I love this idea! I'm all in.

I've done lots of all-nighters (voluntarily, and not-so-voluntarily) and I'm actually not big on caffeine for keeping myself awake. Helping to wake up, and a little extra pep, sure. But otherwise, I just get tired and jittery.

I'll sip on tea if I have to be up late working, but I'll usually also set up at my kitchen table which is a not-sleepy space and put on some music I want to sing and dance to.
    Excellent, Asrai! Looking forward to having you join the party.

I second "music to sing and dance to." If it's something I know the lyrics to and love to sing along with, that is even better than having food to chew in keeping me awake.

Staff Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Sefiru has a spectacular aura about Sefiru has a spectacular aura about Sefiru has a spectacular aura about Sefiru's Avatar
    Last Online
    20 Jan 2017 @ 06:47 PM
    Country
    Canada
    Religion
    Kemetic Remix

Although lack of sleep is a Bad Idea for me health-wise, I'm glad to see this TC tradition continue! I'll likely drop in in the evening to see what's happening.

Senior Staff Achievements:
    Three FriendsYour first GroupCreated Album picturesOverdriveRecommendation Second Class
    SunflowerP is a splendid one to behold SunflowerP is a splendid one to behold SunflowerP is a splendid one to behold SunflowerP is a splendid one to behold SunflowerP is a splendid one to behold SunflowerP is a splendid one to behold SunflowerP is a splendid one to behold SunflowerP's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:05 AM
    Country
    Canada
    Religion
    Religious Witchcraft
    Pronouns
    sie/hir/hirs

Who's going to join in on the fun this year?
    I'm in, as always!

I'll note that, as well as this thread, there are usually people in TC MUX Chat - it's a good time to check out the MUX as a guest; or if you've been thinking about getting a MUX account but haven't got around to it, making sure you do so before UAN is a good incentive.

Sunflower
    Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    I do so have a life. I just live part of it online.
    “Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
    to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
    "Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
    My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ

Staff Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Chatelaine will become famous soon enough Chatelaine's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:45 AM
    Country
    UK
    Religion
    Eastern Orthodox Christian

I'm always in! (The year it doubled as a certain book launch party was particularly good. )

As usual, I'm not going to stay up all night, especially as, for the first time in several years, the day after is not a holiday for me. On the bright side, I'll be sure not to oversleep and miss the sunrise, as that would mean missing my bus as well!

I've found that, unless there's a full-on party going, there's no staying alert all through the night. After 3am, everyone flags. It's better to schedule 30-minute catnaps in between activities, rather than try to push through. Pushing through tends to involve too much food and/or caffeine, both of which are likely to be regretted the day after. A 'taking turns keeping watch' can work particularly well if you're not alone.
    'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
    ~St Augustine~
    Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

Adept Member

Achievements:
    Last Online
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    tree-hugging neopagan

Quote Originally Posted by Chatelaine View Post
    I'm always in! (The year it doubled as a certain book launch party was particularly good. )
    Wasn't that just fantabulous?

Glad to hear you guys will be with us again, Chatelaine and Sefiru! And Sunflower, I know that should there ever come a time when I'm unable to fulfill my UAN duties, you'd step in to organize it in my stead. So we're in good hands.
    Last edited by Altair; 26 Nov 2016 at 07:14 AM. Reason: fixed emoji

Master Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    MeadowRae is on a distinguished road MeadowRae's Avatar
    Last Online
    12 Jan 2017 @ 03:29 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Pantheist Pagan
    Pronouns
    She/her/hers

Wasn't that just fantabulous?

Glad to hear you guys will be with us again, Chatelaine and Sefiru! And Sunflower, I know that should there ever come a time when I'm unable to fulfill my UAN duties, you'd step in to organize it in my stead. So we're in good hands.
    I love the topic, seems fitting for 2016. I will be chiming in here and there, as my son wakes up several times a night. Glad to see the tradition continue!

Staff Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteranRecommendation Second ClassThree Friends
    Phouka is on a distinguished road Phouka's Avatar
    Last Online
    19 Dec 2016 @ 04:25 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Irish pagan

"Up All Night" 2016 is coming!

The night straddling Tuesday, December 20/Wednesday, December 21 marks the 2016 solstice: the summer solstice (longest day of the year) in the southern hemisphere, and the winter solstice (longest night of the year) in the north. At the Cauldron we have a habit of celebrating the December solstice with a cyber party that starts at sunset (wherever you are) and ends at sunrise (wherever you are), during which time we “gather” electronically in this space--posting anything and everything (but still within forum rules, of course) in a special Up All Night thread that opens on the solstice, and talking relentlessly to help each other stay up all night—or simply for as long as one wants to stay awake and participate. Northern hemisphere or south, pagan or not, staying up all night long or just dropping in while you’re awake…it doesn’t matter, because everyone is welcome at Up All Night: A Technopagan Solstice Celebration!

The festivities will begin at sunset on Tuesday evening, December 20. We have a non-theme each year—an idea that can serve as an inspiration/organizing thought for posts, but that can be completely ignored (which is why we call it a “non-theme”). This year’s non-theme is:

Making it through the dark times

(Seasonal, political, personal,…interpret that as you will, or turn a blind eye to the non-theme and post/chat about whatever you want)

I'll be there. I've not been before, but it will be fun.

Adept Member

Achievements:
    Last Online
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    tree-hugging neopagan

Quote Originally Posted by Phouka View Post
    I'll be there. I've not been before, but it will be fun.
    Yay, a virgin sacrifice! Glad you'll be joining us, Phouka, and you too, Meadowrae

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast