Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Sons of Odin Hoodie, what are your thoughts?  (Read 10817 times)

Son of the Norse

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Sons of Odin Hoodie, what are your thoughts?
« on: November 16, 2016, 11:21:34 pm »
My wife recently bought me a hoodie that has a picture of the All-father and his two ravens on his shoulders on the back.

On the top of the picture it says; "Sons of Odin", and on the bottom it says; "Valhalla".  I like it and thought it looked pretty cool but when I looked up the title: "sons of odin" I found out that there is a group that is basically a "white supremacist" group that may use that same name in Europe and other places (even though when I clicked on the link that said Sons of Odin, their site actually said; Soldiers of Odin).

Do you think that wearing this hoodie with the decal on the back here in the USA will cause people to think I am some kind of Neo-Nazi?

Your input is greatly appreciated! :)
~Son of the Norse

Hyacinth Belle

• View Profile
Re: Sons of Odin Hoodie, what are your thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 11:30:00 pm »
Quote from: Son of the Norse;199142
Do you think that wearing this hoodie with the decal on the back here in the USA will cause people to think I am some kind of Neo-Nazi?

This is tricky, unfortunately. You're free to do as you wish, as I'm sure you know.

But if I had a doubt, especially considering the current cultural climate in the US with the election, I wouldn't do it. Which makes me sad. All of it.

Just my humble opinion, of course.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
"Silent and thoughtful a prince\'s son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15

Son of the Norse

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 12:20:10 am »
Quote from: Hyacinth Belle;199144
This is tricky, unfortunately. You're free to do as you wish, as I'm sure you know.

But if I had a doubt, especially considering the current cultural climate in the US with the election, I wouldn't do it. Which makes me sad. All of it.

Just my humble opinion, of course.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Thank you for your input Hyacinth.

My wife now says I shouldn't wear it as I live in Olympia, WA (a very, very liberal area).  I lean towards the left myself; but I simply hate not wearing a gift that my loved one bought me.

..... I will have to ponder this further...
~Son of the Norse

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 12:47:00 am »

Wow, put 'Sons of Odin' into a search engine (I used DuckDuckGo), and the results are all over the place, from hip-hip flavored fashion design to WoD LARPers (and various other gaming mileus) to heathens (and t-shirts/hoodies/etc for heathens) over most of the spectrum, from soft recon and universalist right through to self-described 'fundamentalist Odinists.' (And a Manowar album.) And that's just in the first ~20 hits.

The hit that matches your hoodie, though, is to a Teespring shop for the Nordic Brotherhood. Running that through DDG, it appears to be a FB group of (to borrow a term from a comment on a post there) 'Brosatru' enamoured of Viking tropes. I didn't spot any major red flags, and they do say 'Anyone who is Nordic in spirit can join us', so at any rate you and your wife don't seem to be financially supporting a NeoNazi organization. (Though there are a number of ways in which they don't impress me much - but that's me, and not necessarily relevant here.)

That said, I think you'd be wise to be very careful where and when you wear it; 'Sons of Odin' is likely to cause at least some folks to immediately think 'Odinist', a term mainly used by overtly white-supremacist Norse religionists.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Son of the Norse

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 07:10:47 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;199149

The hit that matches your hoodie, though, is to a Teespring shop for the Nordic Brotherhood. Running that through DDG, it appears to be a FB group of (to borrow a term from a comment on a post there) 'Brosatru' enamoured of Viking tropes. I didn't spot any major red flags, and they do say 'Anyone who is Nordic in spirit can join us', so at any rate you and your wife don't seem to be financially supporting a NeoNazi organization. (Though there are a number of ways in which they don't impress me much - but that's me, and not necessarily relevant here.)

That said, I think you'd be wise to be very careful where and when you wear it; 'Sons of Odin' is likely to cause at least some folks to immediately think 'Odinist', a term mainly used by overtly white-supremacist Norse religionists.

Sunflower

WOW Sunflower; thank you for all the great research you did.  I will be careful when and where I wear it.  Don't want to offend anyone if I don't have to.

The word you called the group (bolded above) made me almost spit my drink out I laughed so hard...too funny! :)
~Son of the Norse

Friendly_Viking

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2016, 05:16:29 pm »
My wife recently bought me a hoodie that has a picture of the All-father and his two ravens on his shoulders on the back.

On the top of the picture it says; "Sons of Odin", and on the bottom it says; "Valhalla".  I like it and thought it looked pretty cool but when I looked up the title: "sons of odin" I found out that there is a group that is basically a "white supremacist" group that may use that same name in Europe and other places (even though when I clicked on the link that said Sons of Odin, their site actually said; Soldiers of Odin).

I would wear it. Why should you not wear something because some might take it the wrong way. If some one says something to you then you can tell them its not what they think. If they don't say anything and silently judge you, who cares. Let them judge.

That's just what I would do, I personally don't care what people think of me and when people start paying my bills perhaps then I may let them control what I wear.

Son of the Norse

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2016, 05:49:20 pm »
Quote from: Friendly_Viking;199224
I would wear it. Why should you not wear something because some might take it the wrong way. If some one says something to you then you can tell them its not what they think. If they don't say anything and silently judge you, who cares. Let them judge.

That's just what I would do, I personally don't care what people think of me and when people start paying my bills perhaps then I may let them control what I wear.

Thank you Friendly one!  You and I must be very alike...I did just what you said above.  I wore it today everywhere I went; and no one said anything to me (even in the crowded mall).

I too came to a realization last evening that; "What do I care what people think, I know what I am and why I would wear it".

That is a strange coincidence indeed! :)

Thank you for your input; may Thor Bless your weekend! :)
~Son of the Norse

Friendly_Viking

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2016, 08:38:50 am »
Quote from: Son of the Norse;199226
Thank you Friendly one!  You and I must be very alike...I did just what you said above.  I wore it today everywhere I went; and no one said anything to me (even in the crowded mall).

I too came to a realization last evening that; "What do I care what people think, I know what I am and why I would wear it".

That is a strange coincidence indeed! :)

Thank you for your input; may Thor Bless your weekend! :)

Good for you! Glad I could be of help to you. We should never be afraid or ashamed of who or what we are, have a great day!

Hyacinth Belle

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2016, 10:52:46 pm »
Quote from: Friendly_Viking;199263
We should never be afraid or ashamed of who or what we are, have a great day!

This is causing a twinge in me. Still trying to suss out why. I think maybe because, to me, it smacks of assumed privilege? Like, "to hell with everybody else, this is a free goddamn country!"

Which, yeah, sure, that's true. And you can do whatever you want.

But fear, not to mention shame, are such sensitive issues right now that I personally feel like treading more lightly than usual is a good idea. Because it's not about me or what I want anymore. It's about building community and compassion and connection in troubling times.

At the same time, though, I see that not expressing yourself as you'd like, or feeling like you're altering your behavior for external forces, can be problematic. Yet you're still privileged in that actual fear doesn't seem to be part of the equation when it comes to the question of how to present yourself to the public. For many people, this is not the case.

Again, not totally sure where I'm going with this but thought I'd throw it out there.
"Silent and thoughtful a prince\'s son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15

Friendly_Viking

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2016, 10:52:31 am »
Quote from: Hyacinth Belle;199319
This is causing a twinge in me. Still trying to suss out why. I think maybe because, to me, it smacks of assumed privilege? Like, "to hell with everybody else, this is a free goddamn country!"

Which, yeah, sure, that's true. And you can do whatever you want.

But fear, not to mention shame, are such sensitive issues right now that I personally feel like treading more lightly than usual is a good idea. Because it's not about me or what I want anymore. It's about building community and compassion and connection in troubling times.

At the same time, though, I see that not expressing yourself as you'd like, or feeling like you're altering your behavior for external forces, can be problematic. Yet you're still privileged in that actual fear doesn't seem to be part of the equation when it comes to the question of how to present yourself to the public. For many people, this is not the case.

Again, not totally sure where I'm going with this but thought I'd throw it out there.

I can see your point of view and certainly respect it. My thought is this, if he wears the hoodie and someone does in fact say something he can explain that he does not represent that group. If people do not say anything then there is no worries. He should not have a fear of wearing a hoodie, plain and simple.

I was not going for an assumed privilege, more like freedom. As far as the fear that is out there now, I doubt a hoodie will cause an issue, unless it has a swastika or something.

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2016, 01:04:02 pm »
Quote from: Friendly_Viking;199331
If people do not say anything then there is no worries.

Except of course for those people whose sole familiarity is with Odinism and thus go, "Welp, that there's a white supremacist".  Plenty of people will just file such a person as dangerous and avoid.

Maybe there's no worries for the person who's just been incorrectly flagged as a white supremacist, but all the people who come away with that impression, well, they're going to be worried.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2016, 01:04:41 pm »

My thoughts are admittedly colored by having to deal with Soldiers of Odin bullshit.

To me, if it bears any at all resemblance (actual OR implied) to the following picture...

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bf/Soldiers_of_Odin_2016.jpg

...then into the fireplace it probably ought to go.

Soldiers of Odin have begun recruiting in the USA as of early spring of this year, so it's not just in Europe. With the current upswell of racial/socio-economic tension in the US, they will have no trouble with finding members.

You wouldn't catch me dead in anything proclaiming "[Insert Word Here] of Odin" due to the multitude of negative associations that exist.
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

Friendly_Viking

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2016, 02:04:17 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;199333
Except of course for those people whose sole familiarity is with Odinism and thus go, "Welp, that there's a white supremacist".  Plenty of people will just file such a person as dangerous and avoid.

Maybe there's no worries for the person who's just been incorrectly flagged as a white supremacist, but all the people who come away with that impression, well, they're going to be worried.

Let me ask you a question, if a stranger just assumes your a racist and never says anything and goes about their business does it affect you? No, it doesn't. Sounds to me like they are the ones with a problem.

I feel that is the problem these day, people are so concerned about how other view them. Even if they will never see that person again. I am white, shave my head bald and have a beard. That is exactly how most KKK members are portrayed, yet I have never been called a rasict to my face, and if some stranger thought that ever about me I didn't even know it and guess what, I went on with my life.

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2016, 03:11:01 pm »
Quote from: Friendly_Viking;199335
I feel that is the problem these day, people are so concerned about how other view them.

Generally, it's bad form to look like a neonazi.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2016, 03:23:47 pm »
Quote from: Friendly_Viking;199335
Let me ask you a question, if a stranger just assumes your a racist and never says anything and goes about their business does it affect you? No, it doesn't.

That would only be true in a society where racism is normalized. Count me the fuck out on supporting that or even thinking that was okay.
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

Tags: