Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: US Polling Day  (Read 11364 times)

Dam

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
US Polling Day
« on: November 07, 2016, 02:55:57 pm »
As a fellow on the European side of the pond I am wondering how all you lovely folk who can vote in your election tomorrow (if you havent voted early) are feeling.

Does anybody feel certain that either candidate will win outright? What do you think the next month will bring? Are you looking forward to the result being announced? Has anybody changed their mind on who they are voting for and are there any undecided voters still out there?

I have a morbid obsession with politics, so thanks for any replies.

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
Re: US Polling Day
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 05:40:08 pm »
Quote from: Dam;198804
As a fellow on the European side of the pond I am wondering how all you lovely folk who can vote in your election tomorrow (if you havent voted early) are feeling.

Does anybody feel certain that either candidate will win outright? What do you think the next month will bring? Are you looking forward to the result being announced? Has anybody changed their mind on who they are voting for and are there any undecided voters still out there?

I voted like a week ago and I really wish doing so made the election go away somehow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

AsraiDouglas

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 06:33:41 pm »
Quote from: Jack;198812
I voted like a week ago and I really wish doing so made the election go away somehow.

Same.  WA votes by mail-in only, so I and everyone else I know voted almost two weeks ago.  Still getting calls and pamphlets on my door.  Like, if I was going to change my mind...it's too late.  Please leave me alone.

Our local liquor store has a coupon good for election day, so that seems like a good sign.

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 06:46:47 pm »
Quote from: AsraiDouglas;198819
Same.  WA votes by mail-in only, so I and everyone else I know voted almost two weeks ago.  Still getting calls and pamphlets on my door.  Like, if I was going to change my mind...it's too late.  Please leave me alone.

Our local liquor store has a coupon good for election day, so that seems like a good sign.
Yep. I don't know why more states don't do voting by mail. (Well, I do, but it's not pretty.)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 07:07:09 pm »
Quote from: Jack;198812

Lyric and I voted absentee by mail a couple of weeks ago.

To be honest, I just want this election to be over. They always drag on and on and on, but with all the racism and other nastiness this election has brought to the surface, I just want it to be OVER. I pray that we do not have a repeat of the 2000 election where there is no clear winner for weeks longer.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Lana288

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 08:55:09 pm »

I've voted, and like Jack, I also wish it was over. I'm really, really burned out; I did a lot of volunteering and canvassing and Being Involved, and I'm so ready for it to just be done.

On the other hand, I'm really nervous about the results. I'm nervous that Trump will win the election, and while I'd like to think that he's definitely, certainly going to lose, I didn't think he'd make it past the Republican primaries. And then he did. (Though truthfully, I'm less worried about him damaging the country than I am about what his victory would say about the US in general)

EclecticWheel

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Christo-Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 09:44:53 pm »
Quote from: Ian288;198835
I've voted, and like Jack, I also wish it was over. I'm really, really burned out; I did a lot of volunteering and canvassing and Being Involved, and I'm so ready for it to just be done.

On the other hand, I'm really nervous about the results. I'm nervous that Trump will win the election, and while I'd like to think that he's definitely, certainly going to lose, I didn't think he'd make it past the Republican primaries. And then he did. (Though truthfully, I'm less worried about him damaging the country than I am about what his victory would say about the US in general)

I am ready for it to end, too.

I'm not always fully confident in her, but I voted for Hillary (blue all the way down the ticket).  I think she will win, but I'm nervous.
My personal moral code:

Love wisely, and do what thou wilt.

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2016, 08:59:00 am »

Like everyone else, I'm very anxious, and very ready for this awful, unprecedented election to be over. The one thing that needs saying it is that while both candidates are flawed, the magnitude of the flaws are not comparable, and the awfulness we're all feeling about this election can be laid almost entirely at the feet of one norms-of-human-decency-smashing candidate: Donald Trump.

So is this the end of our long national nightmare, or the beginning? I'm cautiously optimistic that Clinton will prevail, and VERY interested in if the Senate will flip.

And I'm prepared to kidnap Justin Trudeau if necessary.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Dam

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2016, 09:35:52 am »
Quote from: Altair;198853
Like everyone else, I'm very anxious, and very ready for this awful, unprecedented election to be over.

This seems to he the resounding feeling amongst most Americans I have spoken to, on both of the major candidates' sides. I can understand why a lot of people are feeling like this as it was a commonly shared feeling over here with the (dear lord I hate this word (because of distaste for portmanteau, not because of political stance)) 'brexit' vote.

Regarding the last day of campaigning:  what was up with Lady Gaga's clothes at the Clinton rally? There have been comparissons drawn to WW2 Schutzstaffel officer's uniform. A bit of research shows that it originated Michael Jackson, but it was still a bit of a curious choice.

How long will it take from the polls closing to having the first results roll in? I am intending on watching the news through the night to see how it goes.

AsraiDouglas

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2016, 10:10:54 am »
If you haven't yet, check out today's Google Doodle.  Would 100% be me if we didn't vote by ballot in Washington.

He's so nice, I'm sure he'd gladly come with if you just asked.

Quote from: Dam;198854

How long will it take from the polls closing to having the first results roll in?

Results will start coming in probably about an hour before the polls close on the East Coast.  The first polls to close will be Indiana and Kentucky, which should be 6pm EST (UTC -5)

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2016, 10:19:06 am »

I voted first thing this morning. (I live in a very Blue town, so the only things involving actual meaningful votes were the presidential race and four state ballot measures. The other races on my ballot were all uncontested with Democratic candidates.)

I got to my polling place at about 6:50, the polls opened at 7, and I was done by 7:15. I did not get offered an "I voted" sticker and they could have used some better signage (two precincts in my town vote in the same large room) but other than that, everything went smoothly.

(One of my coworkers did get to report a poll worker providing material about a city ballot measure - she lives in Boston - so that was sort of exciting. Any kind of political material is banned from not only polls but a radius around them.)

I'm very much looking forward to this election being over.

For my election day info, I'm keeping an eye on the Metafilter threads (there's a roundup of links over here: they'll be opening a new thread or two later this morning) where people have also been posting helpful distractions. I'm not planning on staying up to hear the results, though I'm hoping that by the time I go to bed (around 10pm ET), we'll have some idea about Florida.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2016, 12:11:17 pm »
Quote from: Dam;198854
How long will it take from the polls closing to having the first results roll in? I am intending on watching the news through the night to see how it goes.

This is an hour-by-hour prediction of the results, which has 'when the Sift predicts each state will be called' in it (it's put together by a politics junkie at my church):
https://weeklysift.com/2016/11/07/election-night-2016-an-hour-by-hour-returns-watching-guide/
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2016, 05:54:40 pm »

OURS. You can't have him. If you want him that badly, you have to come be a Canuck.

Grow your own darn liberals!

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Castus

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Happy Science
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2016, 06:14:56 pm »

I'm excited, and confident my candidate will win.
“Castus, meanwhile, goes straight for the bad theology like one of those creepy fish that swims up streams of pee.” — Darkhawk

“Believing in the Lord means you are connected to me no matter when you are poor, sick, or struggling in a relationship. I am always with you. I want you to believe that. The future is uncertain, and much suffering awaits. However, the mission of the believer is to live life doing their best, no matter what the circumstances.” — Ryuho Okawa

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2016, 07:08:48 pm »

One thing I am finding really unexpectedly moving is about all the people putting their "I voted" stickers on the gravestones of various suffragette leaders.

(My polling place did not give me a sticker, alas. Both Julia Ward Howe and Lucy Stone's graves are within reasonable driving distance of me.)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Tags: