Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Spitballing Improvements for the Baltic/Slavic SIG  (Read 3084 times)

Lana288

• View Profile
Spitballing Improvements for the Baltic/Slavic SIG
« on: November 05, 2016, 04:48:40 pm »
Hey guys :) I was recently* appointed as a SIG leader for the Baltic/Slavic forum, and I thought I'd make a post checking in with you. I have a few ideas for the SIG (most of which are stolen from other SIGS... I'm not terribly creative).

1. I think having planned monthly discussions would be fun, and a great way for us to connect with each other. Some ideas I have for discussion are

-Community. Is religious Community important to you? If it is, where do you find it? If not, what role (if any) does community play in your practice?

-putting together a meaningful practice with sparse recourses. How do you use what you have? How big a part does UPG have in your practice?

-Why do you worship the Baltic/Slavic Gods in the first place?

Feel free to expand on this, of course. It's hardly an exhaustive list.

2. Celebrating holidays/worshiping together. We could pick a time to

-Celebrate a common holiday at the same time (like, the same week or month), after which we could share our experiences with it/how we approached it.

-Choose a common deity to research and approach (over the course of a week/month) and then share our experiences, methods, and approaches.

3. Choose a common time to hang out on the MUX and talk about our experiences and practices within a Baltic/Slavic context, or to just chat and get to know each other.

Thoughts? Other ideas for improvements? I might be going a little overboard, but if you're interested in any of this, I think it'd be really fun to see where we'd go with it.

*Recently being 3-4 weeks ago... I'm really slow at following up.

Sent from my LGL16C using Tapatalk

Eevee

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Spitballing Improvements for the Baltic/Slavic SIG
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 08:14:07 am »
Quote from: Ian288;198710
Hey guys :) I was recently* appointed as a SIG leader for the Baltic/Slavic forum, and I thought I'd make a post checking in with you. I have a few ideas for the SIG (most of which are stolen from other SIGS... I'm not terribly creative).

Good idea! I'm sure I speak for other Slavic mythology newbies too, it's difficult to find a comfort zone within this pantheon with so many conflicting stories and facts.
As reconstructions, I think we should try our hardest to find credible sources.

More good discussion topics would be:
"how do you work your way around information you're not comfortable with"
"books/websites to avoid"
"how we view similarities and differences with our Norse brothers"
"Slavic neo-folk music"
"Region-specific discussion(West/East/South)"
"Slavic history"

Are there enough active members here who'd participate?
Naboo: This is black magic. This is hardcore. Don\'t mess with the occult.
Vince Noir: I thought it was good for you.
Naboo: What?
Vince Noir: Well, you know, good for your digestive system.
Naboo: That\'s Yakult!

Lana288

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 03:28:39 pm »
Quote from: Eevee;198749
Good idea! I'm sure I speak for other Slavic mythology newbies too, it's difficult to find a comfort zone within this pantheon with so many conflicting stories and facts.
As reconstructions, I think we should try our hardest to find credible sources.

Well, not all of us are reconstructionists. My method is closer to historically inspired Baltic polytheism. ;) A discussion on how we find our sources and how we use them would be really interesting; I know that I've had trouble in the past sorting out what's "authentic" Lithuanian/Latvian mythology and practice, and what was invented by historical revisionist types.

More good discussion topics would be:
"how do you work your way around information you're not comfortable with"
"books/websites to avoid"
"how we view similarities and differences with our Norse brothers"
"Slavic neo-folk music"
"Region-specific discussion(West/East/South)"
"Slavic history"

I like these. I think my favorite would be a discussion about history; we could pick a particular time period and really delve into it together.

I also really like "how we view similarities and differences with our Norse brothers"; I think it'd be really interesting to compare and contrast our beliefs with the beliefs of other religions. I think that this conversation topic particularly would open up the discussion to people from other areas of the Cauldron.

Are there enough active members here who'd participate?

I don't know. I think that any conversations we have will ultimately be made up of only a handful of people; there are a lot of people on the Cauldron, though, that worship Baltic/Slavic deities without being primarily Baltic/Slavic pagans, and I'm hoping that the discussions will help bring them out of the woodwork.

savveir

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 04:41:43 am »

Congrats :) It's good to have some other people involved. I've been long term absent for quite a while.

1. I think having planned monthly discussions would be fun, and a great way for us to connect with each other. Some ideas I have for discussion are

-Community. Is religious Community important to you? If it is, where do you find it? If not, what role (if any) does community play in your practice?

-putting together a meaningful practice with sparse recourses. How do you use what you have? How big a part does UPG have in your practice?

-Why do you worship the Baltic/Slavic Gods in the first place?

Feel free to expand on this, of course. It's hardly an exhaustive list.

How were you planning on doing monthly discussions? I would suggest perhaps facilitating a monthly thread or something as it might work a little better with different time zones and occupations. The topics sound like they could be quite interesting.

2. Celebrating holidays/worshiping together. We could pick a time to

-Celebrate a common holiday at the same time (like, the same week or month), after which we could share our experiences with it/how we approached it.

-Choose a common deity to research and approach (over the course of a week/month) and then share our experiences, methods, and approaches.

Again locations could be an issue, particularly with seasonal holidays and hemispheres. However we could always discuss how we create a workable calendar of festivals, and discuss the particulars of them. Really just depends on the people involved.

Common deity research sounds interesting, perhaps a suggestion thread as to which ones?

3. Choose a common time to hang out on the MUX and talk about our experiences and practices within a Baltic/Slavic context, or to just chat and get to know each other.

Thoughts? Other ideas for improvements? I might be going a little overboard, but if you're interested in any of this, I think it'd be really fun to see where we'd go with it.

*Recently being 3-4 weeks ago... I'm really slow at following up.

Sent from my LGL16C using Tapatalk

Time zones are just so darn tricky, but hopefully something could be figured out.
I'm not great at being able to stick to regular schedules, with the end of the year approaching my job is getting increasingly hectic and involving more (mostly useless) meetings, and I have an interstate move coming up.
Anyway, it's really nice to see stuff happening in the sig again :)
"I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it."
-Lewis Carroll

Lana288

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, 03:11:53 pm »
Quote from: savvy;199090
Congrats :) It's good to have some other people involved. I've been long term absent for quite a while.

Thank you :) I'm honestly very excited. The Cauldron's been a big part of my life for years, and I can't believe I'm actually helping to run it (even if it's a very small part).

How were you planning on doing monthly discussions? I would suggest perhaps facilitating a monthly thread or something as it might work a little better with different time zones and occupations. The topics sound like they could be quite interesting.  

So ideally, what would happen would be that we'd first pick a topic together. Then I, or anyone else that's interested in doing so, would create a thread at the beginning of the month. Over the course of the month (or however long the thread lasted), members could post their own thoughts and insights on whatever we're discussing, and at the end of the discussion, we'd pick another topic for next month.

Is there any topic you're particularly interested in seeing discussed first?

Again locations could be an issue, particularly with seasonal holidays and hemispheres. However we could always discuss how we create a workable calendar of festivals, and discuss the particulars of them. Really just depends on the people involved.

Common deity research sounds interesting, perhaps a suggestion thread as to which ones?

Holidays could get very tricky, yeah. You're probably right; we could just incorporate that as a discussion topic and share how we've created our festival calendars.

Common deity research is probably my favorite, honestly. It's fairly open ended, and there're a lot of ways that people could go about doing the research (from looking up the deity on the internet to worshiping the deity on their own).

A suggestion thread's for it's a good idea. Do you want to start it, or should I?

Time zones are just so darn tricky, but hopefully something could be figured out.
I'm not great at being able to stick to regular schedules, with the end of the year approaching my job is getting increasingly hectic and involving more (mostly useless) meetings, and I have an interstate move coming up.
Anyway, it's really nice to see stuff happening in the sig again :)

No worries. :) I don't want anyone to feel like they can't participate in the discussions, and I'm certain that everyone has their own lives to think about (on top of time zones) so I think that we'll just have to keep the discussion times very open ended and as general as possible.

Tags: