Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Spirit Animal Pilgrimage  (Read 2187 times)

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Spirit Animal Pilgrimage
« on: November 05, 2016, 03:56:16 pm »
I know many of us here feel connected to a particular animal. Have you ever sought out that animal in the mundane world, to experience it in real life?

(This question may be less meaningful if that animal is a spider or sparrow, creatures you can see every day; but even then, I'm curious to hear if you've studied the animal or set out to encounter it deliberately; why; and what the experience was like.)
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: Spirit Animal Pilgrimage
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2016, 04:53:10 pm »
Quote from: Altair;198704
I know many of us here feel connected to a particular animal. Have you ever sought out that animal in the mundane world, to experience it in real life?

To answer my own question (and this is why this is on my mind):

Yesterday, I went on an impromptu pilgrimage of sorts, to try to see the animal I feel affinity for: the eagle. And not just any eagle: I was after "true" (a.k.a. "booted") eagles--namely, the golden eagle, which is rarer in the Eastern U.S. even than the rare but rebounding bald eagle (which is a "sea eagle").

On Wednesday I saw the forecast for NW winds on Friday, and decided then and there to take Friday off from work to visit a spot here in NY State that's known for golden eagles at this time of year, if the winds are right. I ended up seeing an awesome 25 of them! And for perspective, in 40+ years of birding the East, I've seen golden eagles on all of 2 occasions previously.

But as I've so often found on my pagan pilgrimages, the experience was as much about the journey as its culmination. My life has been in upheaval lately, and in the spirit of embracing change, my impulsive trip to search for eagles was as much about breaking out of a rut, actually DOING something I'd always wanted to do, rather than just thinking about it or telling myself why I couldn't (in this case, because I don't drive). I found a way to get there despite the obstacles, I had an adventure instead of sitting at home yet again in front of the TV, and I feel like there's anything I can do right now.

The pilgrimage brought me closer to the aspects of the eagles--freedom, mastery--I idolize. I'm definitely still glowing about it, and I want to hold on to this feeling and expand on it.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 04:54:26 pm by Altair »
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 10:58:43 am »
(This question may be less meaningful if that animal is a spider or sparrow, creatures you can see every day; but even then, I'm curious to hear if you've studied the animal or set out to encounter it deliberately; why; and what the experience was like.)

There are jays in the yard here; we really need to get our act together and work on the local small bird environment, and put out feeders, and such.

(We also have a local redtail, if one is concerned about the handle. ;) )
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 06:34:50 pm »

Mice seem to find me, rather than vice versa.

There was the one that got stuck in the light fixture above my desk at work - sort of a Mouse of Damocles, as it were. (I will never live this incident down as long as I work there).

There was the one that ran out to eat sandwich crumbs on my dorm room floor. (Egg salad, I think it was).

And one encountered while downhill skiing, of all things; it just suddenly bounded out of the snow in front of me.

And that's not mentioning the ones I didn't see, but who left signs of their passing.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Eevee

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2016, 04:44:52 am »

Looking for snakes isn't something I'd particularly want to do here in Australia unless I want to go for a holiday to the hospital.
But I did get super existed over snake handling at one of the wildlife parks here. But I wasn't really into the whole spirit animal thing back then.
When I was in Europe I didn't really go looking for bears either, for the same kind of reason.
But next year, when I go again, I made a promise to myself to volunteer at Romania's bear sanctuary. That's the closest I can get.
Naboo: This is black magic. This is hardcore. Don\'t mess with the occult.
Vince Noir: I thought it was good for you.
Naboo: What?
Vince Noir: Well, you know, good for your digestive system.
Naboo: That\'s Yakult!

Tags: