collapse

Author Topic: Help with finding my way  (Read 3781 times)

LaurenOdin

• View Profile
Help with finding my way
« on: November 04, 2016, 10:43:28 am »
Hey everyone

I am new to the pagan ways and the craft. I am very interested in finding my own path!
I know paganism is very tailored to each individual.
I have been reading and reading for the past week trying to find a place to 'start'.. becoming a little overwhelmed. .

A little about myself:
I grew up Catholic.  And have always been ingrained the church ways. Don't do this or that and sin you go to hell. . That has been weighing heavy on me trying to let that go.. I've never felt connected to my religion growing up even tho I wanted to!
I am married and have 2 young children.  
My husband grew up Methodist but he also has always questioned his religion. . I'm not sure how he feels about paganism for himself tho.

I have recently discovered I am an empath. which has lead my research in paganism.  Something draws me to it and I feel it's right.

So now I'm looking for a little help to guide me.
I am very connected to animals. Horses and dogs in particular but all animals in general. Is there a path that leads more with animals and nature?  
Trying to learn more about the magic side as well as that interests me greatly.  Do any of you practice?

I guess I really wanna hear more about you and your path and how you practice?

Eevee

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Help with finding my way..
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 11:23:15 am »
Quote from: LaurenOdin;198626

I am very connected to animals. Horses and dogs in particular but all animals in general. Is there a path that leads more with animals and nature?  

Welcome!

Myself and a few others on here will suggest Lupa's work in term of using animals in paganism. http://www.thegreenwolf.com/
Her blog is very interesting. She talks about everything from plants to psychology.
I was on here only a 2 or so weeks ago, feeling lost and I've already bought 2 of her books and 2 others she recommends on her blogs.
Though you gotta keep an open mind with her, as an animal lover. She is an omnivore and makes/sells things out of (ethically sourced and re-purposed) animal skins and bones. (making that bit clear again: she does not hunt animals)

Sifting through the internet will certainly lead you to some bizarre, yet enlightening blogs.
In terms of different animal/nature stuff - there's many different things you can research! Neo-shamanism, Totemism*, Druidism, Pantheism (I'm sure there are more). You have to be thorough in your research. I found that skimming page 1 of Google will be very vague and contain romanticized explanations and some inaccurate and West-raped Native American 'beliefs' (especially if you're researching animal specific spirituality/shamanism).
If there's something you dont get, using this forum will come in handy!  

There is a lot of crap out there though, so here is this link:
https://paganbookreviews.net/about-lupa/
A book review site I was shown yesterday by a lovely Cauldron member.
If you scroll down to 'categories' you will see all the pagan books of the rainbow - with brutally honest reviews - by down the Earth people.
If in doubt about an author - ALWAYS refer to book reviews!

*Totemism: Typically refers to working with animal "totems" and power animals. The term "Totem" however, is actually a tradition exclusive to a Native American tribe, thus not even relevant to non-Natives. I'm usually careful with how I use the words "Totem/Totemism", it may offend some - but then dont assume all sources containing those words promote cultural appropriation.

I wish you good luck :)
Naboo: This is black magic. This is hardcore. Don\'t mess with the occult.
Vince Noir: I thought it was good for you.
Naboo: What?
Vince Noir: Well, you know, good for your digestive system.
Naboo: That\'s Yakult!

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2016, 11:36:03 am »

I have been reading and reading for the past week trying to find a place to 'start'.. becoming a little overwhelmed.

Welcome!

It's a big subject area, and there's a lot of information out there, so feeling a bit overwhelmed is very normal.

I've got a website with a lot of introductory material about religious witchcraft (which includes but isn't limited to Wicca): there's also some general introductory material about Paganism you might find helpful in the basics section. An article that might be a good starting place for you is one I wrote about how to start exploring and figuring out what steps to consider next.

I'm a priestess and witch in an initiatory religious witchcraft tradition (some people would identify it as Wicca, I don't: people use the term Wicca in a bunch of different ways, some of which are mutually exclusive.) I've been an initiate for 13 years now, identifying as Pagan for about 16, and doing a fair bit of reading about specific pieces of Pagan and magical practice for about 5 years before that.

I actually started exploring magical practice in part because of empathic and other energetic experience I was trying to make sense of. (The Core Skills page on my site is stuff I wish I'd had when I started!)

In terms of paths that focus on animals, some of that is a "What do you want to do with that?" question - there are lots of different approaches, and while animism or work with animal guides are one option, there are lots of others. (Some people, for example, discover they're particularly attracted to specific animals because they're associated with deities they develop connections with.)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

troll maiden

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2016, 01:48:11 pm »
Hey everyone

I am new to the pagan ways and the craft. I am very interested in finding my own path!

Welcome! :)

I have been reading and reading for the past week trying to find a place to 'start'.. becoming a little overwhelmed. .

It is overwhelming. There's just so much information out there, and if you don't have a clear plan in mind it's tricky to figure out where to start. I have a couple of ideas that may help:

1. Get acquainted with the basics. The Paganism page on About.com is a good place to start.

2. Pick a couple of subjects that interest you and read about them. Hopefully this will help to keep you more focused.

3. Keep a journal. I have one, and it's a life-saver! It helps to keep my thoughts organised, and is a great place to jot down your feelings or any interesting info.

I practise Eclectic Paganism, so my path's got crazy paving! :p As for how I practise, I like to keep things simple and casual. Like for this Samhain I lit a candle and said a prayer.
Being Eclectic means I work with different Gods and spirits from a range of pantheons. This path is perfect for me because I never felt a tug to a particular group or set of methods. I love chatting to other Eclectics because there is just so much variety, it's awesome. :)

Anyway, I wish you the best in finding your path. If you have any questions, or just want to chat you can drop me a line! ^^

LaurenOdin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2016, 02:17:37 pm »
Quote from: Eevee;198630
Welcome!

Quote from: Jenett;198633
Welcome!

Quote from: troll maiden;198650
Welcome! :)

It is overwhelming. There's just so much information out there, and if you don't have a clear plan in mind it's tricky to figure out where to start. I have a couple of ideas that may help:

1. Get acquainted with the basics. The Paganism page on About.com is a good place to start.

2. Pick a couple of subjects that interest you and read about them. Hopefully this will help to keep you more focused.

3. Keep a journal. I have one, and it's a life-saver! It helps to keep my thoughts organised, and is a great place to jot down your feelings or any interesting info.

I practise Eclectic Paganism, so my path's got crazy paving! :p As for how I practise, I like to keep things simple and casual. Like for this Samhain I lit a candle and said a prayer.
Being Eclectic means I work with different Gods and spirits from a range of pantheons. This path is perfect for me because I never felt a tug to a particular group or set of methods. I love chatting to other Eclectics because there is just so much variety, it's awesome. :)

Anyway, I wish you the best in finding your path. If you have any questions, or just want to chat you can drop me a line! ^^

Thank you so much for all the info!

FriendofHolle

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2016, 01:02:46 pm »
Hey everyone

A little about myself:
I grew up Catholic.  And have always been ingrained the church ways. Don't do this or that and sin you go to hell. . That has been weighing heavy on me trying to let that go.. I've never felt connected to my religion growing up even tho I wanted to!
My husband grew up Methodist but he also has always questioned his religion. . I'm not sure how he feels about paganism for himself tho.

I have recently discovered I am an empath. which has lead my research in paganism.  Something draws me to it and I feel it's right.

Trying to learn more about the magic side as well as that interests me greatly.  Do any of you practice?

Hello,

I related to your post so I am going to give you my opinion since you are looking for answers. Please keep in mind that this is just my perspective on the issue. You may do with it as you please.

You are right at the beginning of your post when you clearly state that paganism is tailored to individual needs. The various pagan traditions arose out of man's needs which are ever evolving and changing. The trick is to keep up with modern times and not be too traditional. I would recommend looking at yourself and your bloodline and seeing if any of that speaks to you. For instance, if you are Irish I would recommend reading the Irish sources, if you are Italian reading the Italian sources etc. Makes sense? It's what has helped me narrow down the many choices because you are also right when you say that it can be overwhelming.

As far as Christian programming is concerned, I and many others like me have suffered with the same issues you are suffering with now. All I can really say is that if you work hard enough and are determined enough, that eventually you will reach a stage in your life where Christianity no longer has any influence over you except for smalls intrusions every now and then. I don't think anyone fully gets over an abusive religion like Christianity, but you will manage to be above it over time. Just focus on who you want to become in life and it will happen.

I am a little confused about your question pertaining to animals and nature. This forum is for, mostly, pagans, so of course the paths will connect you to animals and nature. Just because we live in houses does not mean there isn't a world outside your door. It is there for you to explore whenever you feel inspired to do so.

I am not sure about the empath concept you alluded to. I am not an expert on new age topics and usually stay away from it because what you will learn over time is that most of those new age concepts come from Theosophy which has nothing to do with paganism. That doesn't mean you can't incorporate certain of those concepts into paganism, but what you really need to focus on is choosing a tradition to follow.

The only other advice I can really give is that paganism is not about beliefs. You have the right to believe in whatever you want to believe in, but at the end of the day it's about keeping true to tradition in a modern sense and bringing the Gods back.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2016, 07:13:31 pm »
Quote from: FriendofHolle;198697
I don't think anyone fully gets over an abusive religion like Christianity....

*** MOD HAT ON ***
FriendofHolle,

Blanket condemnations of religions, such as what I've quoted, are a violation of our rules. This is your first warning.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

FriendofHolle

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2016, 07:16:22 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;198719
*** MOD HAT ON ***
FriendofHolle,

Blanket condemnations of religions, such as what I've quoted, are a violation of our rules. This is your first warning.

Sunflower

Thanks for being a social justice warrior and a complete shill for the website. Appreciate it.

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2016, 07:42:22 pm »
Quote from: FriendofHolle;198720
Thanks for being a social justice warrior and a complete shill for the website. Appreciate it.

*** MOD HAT ON ***
It is among the responsibilities of the staff to ensure that people follow the rules, yes.

Among those rules:  

"DO NOT make personal attacks (name calling, hostile remarks, accusations, etc.) anywhere in our community (including posts, personal messages, reputation comments, etc.). In discussion, attack ideas and opinions, not the people who hold them. Note that an attack on your ideas and beliefs is not considered a personal attack under our rules even if you identify so closely with your beliefs and ideas that you personally consider an attack on those beliefs or ideas to be an attack on you."

"DO NOT argue with, comment on, complain about, criticize, or otherwise discuss staff decisions on rules issues in public in Cauldron community areas. If you think a decision that directly affects you is incorrect, you may make an appeal in private in accordance with our Moderation Appeal Guidelines."

This is your second warning, because even though you broke two major rules in sixteen words, we do not give extra credit for efficiency.  A third offense will have more consequences than a warning.  It will get you a week's gag, the better to contemplate whether or not you are willing to actually follow the rules you agreed to when you registered.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

AsraiDouglas

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2016, 09:55:57 pm »
Hey everyone

A little about myself:

I also grew up Catholic, and there were things about it I liked, but had always been uncomfortable with a lot of the doctrine.  I've tried to distill out what I did like about being Catholic: the sense of tradition.

I appreciated feeling connected to those people in the past having said the same prayers, performing the same rites, and gathering in the same sorts of places for centuries.  It hasn't been too hard to find similar things with paganism, but it has been hard to find the ones that I like and feel comforting and familiar.

The thing I haven't really been able to replace are the rules you were talking about.  I'm so used to being told the correct way to do something that it's a little strange to have this much freedom.  There's also so many different paths it's hard to just say "OK, you're Pagan now, this is how you pray and what to do."

I know you never felt particularly connected to your Catholic religion, but maybe finding Pagan traditions that are similar to familiar (and enjoyable) things will help you find the right path for you, and might be encouraging as it's otherwise a pretty radical shift from a religion that's very structured.

Best of luck to you and your husband on your journey!

Eevee

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2016, 06:51:31 am »
Quote from: FriendofHolle;198720

Just an explanation - as opposed to a straight out warning.
This forum is open to people of all aspects of paganism, there are such who still work with Christianity. It's the staff's job to make sure no religion is shittalked.

I can see your point by the way - Christianity HAS poisoned many people over the centuries, I see why many pagans have beef with Christianity, but remember if it wasn't for Christian scholars, many sagas, tales and historic reports wouldn't even exist.
A lot of European folklore still has precious pagan undertones atop the Christian influence. If a religion of a more brutal force converted the pagans of Europe, then we would literally have nothing.
Naboo: This is black magic. This is hardcore. Don\'t mess with the occult.
Vince Noir: I thought it was good for you.
Naboo: What?
Vince Noir: Well, you know, good for your digestive system.
Naboo: That\'s Yakult!

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2016, 06:14:59 pm »

Well, hi and welcome.

For a generally great introduction, I highly recommend Jenett's website, which she has already put a link to. There's a lot of great information on her site that you may find useful regardless of what path you find yourself on eventually.

I'm a big reader, so I always suggest you use your local library to read everything you can get your hands on while always remembering that no one source is ever really 100% perfect. Some books have some really good information on one subject while totally sucking on others.

I personally do, yup. I'd actually say it's probably more my focus than religion is. I've been practicing for a few decades now, and it is a subject that never gets less interesting for me.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2016, 09:59:35 am »
Quote from: Eevee;198744
Just an explanation - as opposed to a straight out warning.
This forum is open to people of all aspects of paganism, there are such who still work with Christianity. It's the staff's job to make sure no religion is shittalked.

A Reminder:
Hi, Eevee,

While what you say is true, it's also staff's job, and not yours, to tell people things like this. Doing staff's job - anything that comes across as moderating others or telling them how to behave on the forums - is a violation of our rules.

Because it's accurate, I'm just issuing you a reminder, not a formal warning, this time.

Sunflower
TC Forum Staff
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

njsquarebear

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Help with finding my way
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2016, 06:12:47 am »

A little about myself:

My husband grew up Methodist but he also has always questioned his religion. . I'm not sure how he feels about paganism for himself tho...

So now I'm looking for a little help to guide me...

Let me add my 'welcome' as well!!!  While I've always been fully supportive of witches and pagans since my youth, I was raised for 18 years in the Dutch Reformed Church.  I left church life in my early 20s because their LGBT views.  In my mid-40s, I joined a United Church of Christ congregation because of their VERY progressive, social-justice faith, views and actions.  While I'm still a member of that congregation because I have good friends there, 10 years ago I started feeling more spiritually-connected to Unitarian-Universalism beliefs. worship and their social-justice activities as well!  Now three years ago I started looking into paganism seriously, and Christo-Paganism, specifically.  Today, I think of myself as being on a Druid's path, and a pagan follower of Jesus (among many other great spiritual teachers, male and female).

Yes, my past 3 years has been overwhelming, as well!  Sometimes I've felt there's not enough time in each day to read, learn, reflect on, and experience all of the awe-inspiring, interesting and wonderful things that Paganism offers up as a huge, luscious banquet!!!  It can be difficult, in my case certainly, to be patient in figuring what path(s) I should be on... though I've gotten over my frustration, thank God(dess)!  I've finally become satisfied with my taking short 'day trips' in learning about various aspects of Paganism, as well as immersing myself in more in-depth and difficult and time-consuming 'journeys' involving modern Druidry/Druidism.
peace,
Brian (njsquarebear)

HPDavid

• View Profile
Re: Help with finding my way
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2016, 07:52:06 am »
Hey everyone

A little about myself:

Hi Lauren. I am a White Wiccan High Priest and my goal is to help guide those who are looking for help. I do not mind helping but remember I'm not here to steer your ship. Let me know if you would like to know more.

Tags: