Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 04:12:49 pm]

"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Author Topic: Bowynn faith? What is it?  (Read 5883 times)

NibbleKat

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://nibblekat.deviantart.com
Bowynn faith? What is it?
« on: September 22, 2011, 11:51:30 am »
I recently came across the term "Bowynn" on Deviant Art, attached to a picture of a lot of candles in front of a round bit of wood with wood-burned leaves and a multi-pointed star on it.

The description that went with it was: "What does it mean to be Bowynn? This picture pretty much sums it up. Of course you would not understand what it means unless you are raised Bowynn."

...well.  Not much help there on any front.

There wasn't much information at all on Google, so I was wondering if anyone could explain to me what it entails? Does anyone know anyone of the Bowynn faith?
I do altar art, icons, and pagan art!
http://nibblekat.deviantart.com
Ask if you\'re interested.

Lokabrenna

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Bowynn faith? What is it?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 12:18:58 pm »
Quote from: NibbleKat;21662

There wasn't much information at all on Google, so I was wondering if anyone could explain to me what it entails? Does anyone know anyone of the Bowynn faith?

The artist actually provides an explanation for it in the comments portion:

The Bowynn Tradition was started back in 1982 by my group of very close friends on Long Island New York. It is a pagan group as well as being workers in the magical arts and other more earthly arts, however it is not at all based on or from Wicca. The faith itself is a compromise of ancient British, Irish, Scottish, Norse, Finno-Urik, Siberian and Native American faith systems. An area we like to call the Northern Arch. The Sacred Symbol of the Bowynn is commonly called "The Septagram," which has 5 seperate and yet equal equations to it: The 7 clans, the 7 elements, the 7 points of the forest, the 7 sacred swords, the 7 virtues. The simple traditional Bowynn altar has nothing more on it than the Septagram tile on it and 7 candles.

We meet once a week (Friday) for what would be commonly be called "mass" then on Sunday for healing circles. We also meet through-out the week as well for things like crafting night, sweat lodges, magic circles, drumming, sword fighting, movie nights and so on. There are 12 celebrated holidays throughout the year in which we gather for holiday celebration, we gather for both the dark and the full moons and of course rites of passage. Most of the time we meet in a forested area, because it is here where we feel our true home is but if weather is against us, we will gather in someones home. One of our members has built an official temple on his property to meet as well, though it is a bit small and more like a shrine. All rituals are spoken in a language we have developed over the years and we do have a holy book. There is one master book for the meetings as well personal ones for the home. There is no priesthood in the formal sense of the word, instead, everyone takes part in leading a gathering. Our clothing of choice for gatherings is what one can say "rustic," resembling that of dark age Europe with hints of native American embelishments and even a touch of fantasy but nothing over dramatic.

The Bowynn Grove has a daily teaching ground for kids in language, history, math, the ancient arts of magic, tailoring, cooking, arts and craft, self defence, health, animal care and earth sciences. Faith is taught at home. One of the main motives of the Bowynn community is to live with nature and not against it, so in more than one way we live with in the shadow of the old world, knowing how to spin, weave, animal husbandry, garden, hunting, work with herbal medicines. Some see us and trying to live in the past, but we see it as perserving the past and preparing for the future.

NibbleKat

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://nibblekat.deviantart.com
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 02:06:43 pm »
Quote from: Lokabrenna;21666

Ahh, that'd be me not scrolling down far enough. Har.

Thank you so much!
I do altar art, icons, and pagan art!
http://nibblekat.deviantart.com
Ask if you\'re interested.

jess-foxx-quinn

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 08:40:55 pm »
Hi Nibblekat. I am Jess, one of the founding members of the Autumn Wood and one of the architects of the Tradition. You probably will not find much about the faith on line at this point. We had a website up for 2 years. But this past spring someone on the website Spellsofmagic.com stole a lot of our information and started to submit it, acting like he/she was part of our group. So we took it down. We are building a new site slowly but nothing is visible as of yet. So if there is anything you would like to know, feel free to ask.

The information Lokabrenna posted here was from my Deviantart.com account which is a cut and past of one of our basic write up. So it is only a touch of what we have had going for all these years.  

Jess

Quote from: NibbleKat;21662
I recently came across the term "Bowynn" on Deviant Art, attached to a picture of a lot of candles in front of a round bit of wood with wood-burned leaves and a multi-pointed star on it.

The description that went with it was: "What does it mean to be Bowynn? This picture pretty much sums it up. Of course you would not understand what it means unless you are raised Bowynn."

...well.  Not much help there on any front.

Syalla!

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 10:23:13 am »
Quote from: jess-foxx-quinn;160210
Hi Nibblekat. I am Jess, one of the founding members of the Autumn Wood and one of the architects of the Tradition. You probably will not find much about the faith on line at this point. We had a website up for 2 years. But this past spring someone on the website Spellsofmagic.com stole a lot of our information and started to submit it, acting like he/she was part of our group. So we took it down. We are building a new site slowly but nothing is visible as of yet. So if there is anything you would like to know, feel free to ask.

The information Lokabrenna posted here was from my Deviantart.com account which is a cut and past of one of our basic write up. So it is only a touch of what we have had going for all these years.  

Jess

Just FYI, Kat hasn't been on here since shortly after this thread was posted in 2011. Last I heard, she was still on DeviantArt, though. Same screen name.
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 11:54:27 am »
Quote from: jess-foxx-quinn;160210

Jess

How can one learn more about Bowynn Tradition?  The scant material I've located has piqued my interest.
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

jess-foxx-quinn

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 10:34:03 pm »
Ah Thanks. I will have to look for her.

Quote from: stephyjh;160230
Just FYI, Kat hasn't been on here since shortly after this thread was posted in 2011. Last I heard, she was still on DeviantArt, though. Same screen name.
Syalla!

jess-foxx-quinn

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 10:39:58 pm »
Quote from: Allaya;160240
How can one learn more about Bowynn Tradition?  The scant material I've located has piqued my interest.

Hi Allaya. Right now, the only way is by emailing me, asking me questions here or one contacting one of the other members of our group. We are working on a new protected site but it will probably not be visible to the public till after common new years. Being only two days old here, I am not sure if we can send private messages to each other. I would share the info here but I am not sure where I can post such info or how the site really works yet.
Syalla!

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2014, 11:27:21 pm »
Quote from: jess-foxx-quinn;160288
Being only two days old here, I am not sure if we can send private messages to each other. I would share the info here but I am not sure where I can post such info or how the site really works yet.

I'm pretty sure that all registered members have access to the PM system.

But, since we have a thread - this one - asking that very thing, posting the info in it would be suitable.

Sunflower
TC Forum Staff
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

jess-foxx-quinn

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2014, 02:37:44 am »
Quote from: Allaya;160240

With Sunflowers okay do so, I can share some of the elements of our tradition here. What would you like to know?
Syalla!

Maponos

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2014, 03:09:00 pm »
Quote from: Lokabrenna;21666

Wow, that's quite the clusterf**k of a faith... It seems really disrespectful to the culture and the spirits of the mentioned cultures to just recklessly combine them.

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2014, 04:00:39 pm »
Quote from: Maponos;161998
Wow, that's quite the clusterf**k of a faith... It seems really disrespectful to the culture and the spirits of the mentioned cultures to just recklessly combine them.

*** MOD HAT ON ***

Religious attacks are NOT acceptable.  You don't have to like a religion, but calling it a clusterfuck is rude and unacceptable.

Go reread the rules.  Now.  This is your first formal warning.
HeartShadow - Cauldron Staff

jess-foxx-quinn

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2014, 08:51:02 pm »
Quote from: HeartShadow;162014
*** MOD HAT ON ***

Religious attacks are NOT acceptable.  You don't have to like a religion, but calling it a clusterfuck is rude and unacceptable.

Go reread the rules.  Now.  This is your first formal warning.
HeartShadow - Cauldron Staff

Thankyou Heartshadow for stepping in before I did. Had I, I am sure I would have been given a warning as well.

As I stated, if you want to asked anything about our groups faith (which has been running for over 2 decades now without a hitch) anyone is welcome to ask me. Our divinities are BASED off the faith's of the cultures mentioned and are NOT the actual divinities of those cultures themselves.
Syalla!

DancesWithHorses

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2014, 09:55:01 pm »
Quote from: jess-foxx-quinn;160516
With Sunflowers okay do so, I can share some of the elements of our tradition here. What would you like to know?

Could you elaborate on the concept of 7 within the faith? There was a mention of 7 clans and 7 virtues?
Jinx or Jinxy :)
Add a dash of folklore, a few centuries of farmer\'s blood and mix well.
[/B]

jess-foxx-quinn

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2014, 10:20:53 pm »
Quote from: DancesWithHorses;162073
Could you elaborate on the concept of 7 within the faith? There was a mention of 7 clans and 7 virtues?

Sure. The seven virtues we follow are Peace, Charity, Love, Courage, Kindness, Spirituality and Balance.

The 7 clans are the 7 clans that our faith currently has: one on LI New York, Georgia, Arizona, England, Delaware, Florida and the one that I am in the midst of putting together here in Washington State. This aspect of the Septgram is rather recent and will probably not last is one of our members move and opens and starts a new clan.  The main clan is still the one on Long Island.
Syalla!

Tags: