Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Bullet journaling  (Read 5947 times)

EclecticWheel

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Christo-Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Bullet journaling
« on: November 02, 2016, 01:23:29 am »
I haven't journaled much lately because I've had less time, but I've had all sorts of ideas for creative writing I have had a block on.  I came across a youtube video on spirituality that mentioned bullet journaling.

I started today in my old journal in which I used to fold pages in half on important entries, but otherwise just consisted of random entries with subtitles at the top.

I like that I can use one resource for a diary, planner, and for spiritual writing and goals.  I can get an idea whether I need to emphasize practical goals more or spiritual, achieve a balance as well as incorporate the mundane with the sacred.

I wrote quite a bit today, but it's easy to find what I want to look up, and I like being able to create collections anywhere in the journal I like rather than always proceeding from one page to the next.  I can Index older entries if I like since I am still filling the old journal.

Just wondering how others here may approach writing and journaling for different aspects of life.
My personal moral code:

Love wisely, and do what thou wilt.

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
Re: Bullet journaling
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 04:24:00 am »
Quote from: EclecticWheel;198495
I haven't journaled much lately because I've had less time, but I've had all sorts of ideas for creative writing I have had a block on.  I came across a youtube video on spirituality that mentioned bullet journaling.

I started today in my old journal in which I used to fold pages in half on important entries, but otherwise just consisted of random entries with subtitles at the top.

I like that I can use one resource for a diary, planner, and for spiritual writing and goals.  I can get an idea whether I need to emphasize practical goals more or spiritual, achieve a balance as well as incorporate the mundane with the sacred.

I wrote quite a bit today, but it's easy to find what I want to look up, and I like being able to create collections anywhere in the journal I like rather than always proceeding from one page to the next.  I can Index older entries if I like since I am still filling the old journal.

Just wondering how others here may approach writing and journaling for different aspects of life.

I recently started a bullet journal, but I'm not sure the system's working for me. I need to try to use it a bit more I think. Should watch some youtube videos on it maybe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 12:43:45 pm »
Quote from: EclecticWheel;198495

Bullet journaling looks really, really tempting, but I'm not convinced the system would work for me. While I actually like the whole table-drawing by hand, I'm less enthusiastic about all the notation there is to learn. I fear I'd drop out of the habit before internalising it all.

I was a haphazard diarist until I read The Artist's Way and took up Morning Pages. It's been a couple of years (and several fat notebooks) now, and I'm still amazed at how much I find to write first thing in the morning, before coffee, even. Not being interrupted, since all the others are still asleep, goes a long way.
'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
~St Augustine~
Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

Beryl

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 04:24:43 pm »
Quote from: Chatelaine;198522
Bullet journaling looks really, really tempting, but I'm not convinced the system would work for me. While I actually like the whole table-drawing by hand, I'm less enthusiastic about all the notation there is to learn. I fear I'd drop out of the habit before internalising it all.

Personally, on a daily basis I use two or three different types of 'bullets' - a standard blobby circle for 'things to do', an outlined circle for 'appointments and birthdays and things like that' and a right bracket > for 'yeah, this didn't get done today, try again tomorrow', plus I cross out the blobby circles when I've done them. I occasionally use a left bracket < for 'not gonna get done tomorrow either, added to the monthly list'. I have one or two others that I use more rarely, but they're all noted down on page 7 (my first month's monthly page).

On my month page I write the numbers 1-28/30/31 depending on the month, use a different pen (easier to see at a glance) to circle Saturdays, and then if I'm feeling energetic I might put brackets around the days I expect money to be coming in, and use a fairly standard circle/circle half filled in/circle filled in/circle half filled in the other way round to indicate moon phases.

If I want to do anything more complex (or expect to need to use a lot of new bullet types this month) I'll make a note on the facing page, which is also where anything that needs doing this month but not today goes, plus short notes about phonecalls and the like.

I know there's a lot of super complicated versions of bullet journalling with a zillion different bullet types (and fancy layouts and whatnot) but I'd always recommend people start out simple and build from there when they need something more complex rather than drawing out six weeks' worth of beautifully decorated layouts and trying to memorise a dozen bullet types and then feeling intimidated to actually start and giving up :)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 04:25:31 pm by Beryl »

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 06:48:10 pm »

There's not really much notation to learn as you can completely personalize it. I've been doing Bullet Journalling for a few months now and the only notations I use are bullet marks, crossing out bullet marks when I've completed something, and drawing an arrow through the bullet mark to indicate I've migrated a task to a new day. (And that one I don't use that often, tbh.)

I find things like the habit tracker, the ability to make collections and lists and organize them, and the index to be really helpful though. I've found most of my bullet journal inspiration from various bujo bloggers out there, not necessarily the original website/idea. (Little Coffee Fox, Boho Berry, Page Flutter, to name a few.) I also enjoy doing various challenges; in September I did the Self Care in September challenge and the Rock Your Handwriting challenge. This month I'm doing #PlanWithMeChallenge again (tried it last month; didn't get very far).

But yeah, super customizable and not a lot of stuff to memorize unless you want to. Some BuJoers do a full key at the beginning of their journal with different symbols and what they mean. I just stick to simple bullets right now.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox Christian
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 07:02:00 pm »
Quote from: Morag;198535
There's not really much notation to learn as you can completely personalize it. I've been doing Bullet Journalling for a few months now and the only notations I use are bullet marks, crossing out bullet marks when I've completed something, and drawing an arrow through the bullet mark to indicate I've migrated a task to a new day. (And that one I don't use that often, tbh.)

I find things like the habit tracker, the ability to make collections and lists and organize them, and the index to be really helpful though. I've found most of my bullet journal inspiration from various bujo bloggers out there, not necessarily the original website/idea. (Little Coffee Fox, Boho Berry, Page Flutter, to name a few.) I also enjoy doing various challenges; in September I did the Self Care in September challenge and the Rock Your Handwriting challenge. This month I'm doing #PlanWithMeChallenge again (tried it last month; didn't get very far).

But yeah, super customizable and not a lot of stuff to memorize unless you want to. Some BuJoers do a full key at the beginning of their journal with different symbols and what they mean. I just stick to simple bullets right now.

All I know is what I saw on the official site and what a couple of people I know personally do. And since I find I need to learn something by the book before I can start tweaking it to my own specs, that's rather more work than I'm willing (or able, for that matter) to put into it.

They all look impossibly cool, though, regardless of style.
'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
~St Augustine~
Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2016, 12:26:14 am »
Quote from: Chatelaine;198536
All I know is what I saw on the official site and what a couple of people I know personally do. And since I find I need to learn something by the book before I can start tweaking it to my own specs, that's rather more work than I'm willing (or able, for that matter) to put into it.

They all look impossibly cool, though, regardless of style.

If you're looking for something a little simpler, you might like the basic version of Strikethru: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fg5qc6lad06bg77/Strikethru.pdf?dl=0

Personally, I use a variant on the strict bullet journal system that's worked for me since college. Everything goes in my notebook. I make new lists as often as I need new lists. There can be a fair amount of repetition, but that makes my OCD feel better. Everything worth keeping gets migrated to Evernote, and then it's off to the next notebook.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2016, 04:08:05 am »
Quote from: Jack;198553
If you're looking for something a little simpler, you might like the basic version of Strikethru: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fg5qc6lad06bg77/Strikethru.pdf?dl=0

Ooh, I quite like the strikethru list. I need to look around at bloggers for ways it's being used, but that's simple enough that it could work for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

EclecticWheel

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Christo-Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2016, 12:34:38 pm »

Personally, I use a variant on the strict bullet journal system that's worked for me since college. Everything goes in my notebook. I make new lists as often as I need new lists. There can be a fair amount of repetition, but that makes my OCD feel better. Everything worth keeping gets migrated to Evernote, and then it's off to the next notebook.

I've only been using the method a couple days now, but already it is very easy and I have some different collections.  Everything is in one notebook: work related things, tasks, and I have a bullet to write diary entries.  I can add more bullets after that if I need to or another diary entry or whatever.

f certain writing projects get expanded (prayers, rituals, etc.) is it worth keeping a separate bullet journal for that?  The point is to keep everything in one notebook, but if a writing project expanded it might be helpful to keep another.
My personal moral code:

Love wisely, and do what thou wilt.

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2016, 01:30:25 pm »
Quote from: EclecticWheel;198578
I've only been using the method a couple days now, but already it is very easy and I have some different collections.  Everything is in one notebook: work related things, tasks, and I have a bullet to write diary entries.  I can add more bullets after that if I need to or another diary entry or whatever.

f certain writing projects get expanded (prayers, rituals, etc.) is it worth keeping a separate bullet journal for that?  The point is to keep everything in one notebook, but if a writing project expanded it might be helpful to keep another.
I keep everything in one notebook but I offload to Evernote to organize. For me that is key, because as soon as I have two notebooks, my system falls apart. I have no idea WHY my brain does that, maybe because I need to have a GTD-style "trusted system" to calm it down, but it meant I couldn't use a midori traveler's notebook no matter how cool they look.

Just keep what works, and if you try something and it's not working, go back to what works. ;) I know for me, as soon as it gets any amount of fancy or complicated, it falls apart. If it's not everything in one notebook in order until I run out of pages, then it's not going to work for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Sarah

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2016, 03:21:39 pm »

I really, really like the strikethru thing, it clicks in my brain in a way bullet journaling doesn't.

Thanks
Knowing when to use a shovel is what being a witch is all about. Nanny Ogg, Witches Abroad

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2016, 08:53:53 am »

definitely going to look into this when I have more time (rushing through this morning because I forgot an appointment!)  I've considered using some form of bullet journal for next year (this year using a plain desk calendar plus like 2 other books, but i need more room)  

I've looked at bullet journaling before, and tried it one year but I think I was not using the system well...at that time I didn't like it.  but I've been saving all kinds of BuJo links on pintrist and it's kind of drawing me back to it
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2016, 05:42:29 pm »
Quote from: Morrigans Daughter;198581
I really, really like the strikethru thing, it clicks in my brain in a way bullet journaling doesn't.

Thanks
Here's another simple system people might want to check out and borrow from: http://markforster.squarespace.com/autofocus-system/

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2016, 11:45:10 am »
Quote from: Jack;198813
Here's another simple system people might want to check out and borrow from: http://markforster.squarespace.com/autofocus-system/

Looked back at strikethrough, it has some interesting ideas, but I really like the autofocus concept.  That addresses something I definitely have trouble with:  keeping up with all the things on my various to-do lists and making sure things don't get forgotten when I want to work on them but don't have any particular due-date for them.
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

Alexeigynaix

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2016, 10:50:05 am »

I was a haphazard diarist until I read The Artist's Way and took up Morning Pages. It's been a couple of years (and several fat notebooks) now, and I'm still amazed at how much I find to write first thing in the morning, before coffee, even. Not being interrupted, since all the others are still asleep, goes a long way.

I keep meaning to attempt The Artist's Way again. I think my problem is I don't much see the point in writing that isn't meant for reading. And morning pages are pretty much not meant for reading, I gather. Certainly not for anyone else to be reading.

Bullet journaling seems cool in principle, but I'm not sure how I would make it work for me. Especially if the "handwritten" part is as key as it seems to be. (My handwriting is appalling.) But I do want some sort of system to keep track of what all is going on in my life...

Tags: