"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Author Topic: Bullet journaling  (Read 5945 times)

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
Re: Bullet journaling
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2016, 01:32:34 pm »
Quote from: Alexeigynaix;200217
I keep meaning to attempt The Artist's Way again. I think my problem is I don't much see the point in writing that isn't meant for reading. And morning pages are pretty much not meant for reading, I gather. Certainly not for anyone else to be reading.

The point of writing not meant to be read by other people is to get to know your own brain. Sounds really stupid, I know, but I am constantly shocked that a lot of people have no interest in doing that. Shit like morning pages or free writing is mostly a tool to get down past your conscious mind and let the deeper stuff bleed out. Some people do it solely for the therapeutic value, while others do so as a way to improve the writing they do want other people to read.

Alexeigynaix

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2016, 02:02:06 pm »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;200227
The point of writing not meant to be read by other people is to get to know your own brain. Sounds really stupid, I know, but I am constantly shocked that a lot of people have no interest in doing that. Shit like morning pages or free writing is mostly a tool to get down past your conscious mind and let the deeper stuff bleed out. Some people do it solely for the therapeutic value, while others do so as a way to improve the writing they do want other people to read.

Sounds weird, is what is sounds. I mean, Know Thyself and all that, but three pages a day of "I don't know what to write", "today I need to", and notes for actual story bits doesn't seem like it's going to bring me to self-knowledge. You know?

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2016, 02:36:04 pm »
Quote from: Alexeigynaix;200229
Sounds weird, is what is sounds. I mean, Know Thyself and all that, but three pages a day of "I don't know what to write", "today I need to", and notes for actual story bits doesn't seem like it's going to bring me to self-knowledge. You know?

It's not something I do regularly these days, but it's something I found useful to try for six weeks or so to give it a meaningful try. I found that I went from 'I don't know what to write' to random lists to then large chunks of me writing about specific pieces of things that I was chewing on. (Some of which turned into longer essays, some of which were just 'okay, I'd been thinking about that for a while, clearly'.)

It's also worth noting that the Daily Pages come specifically out of a work focused on breaking through blocks to creativity. I think that's useful broadly defined (in the sense that it might be 'creativity about one's religious and spiritual practice', not just something like writing or art or music.) But on the other hand if 'blocked by one's over-active editing brain' is not a thing you're struggling with, it might not be the ideal tool.

On the other hand, if you're a person who finds poking at possible tools useful, this is a decent one to poke at, at least long enough to see how it settles in for you, because it's a common one people talk about, and it can give you ideas for other approaches that might or might not work for you. I'm glad I tried it, because I've had several times when I could suggest it to someone and say "Not a thing I do regularly, but I pull it out when I do feel stuck." Which I do. It's just a tool for a specific kind of problem I don't have all the time.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2016, 03:48:33 pm »
Quote from: Alexeigynaix;200229

Oh, I hear you. For me, it's like meditation - it takes a while before it actually gets to a point where it clicks. I'm inherently lazy so there's been multiple times I've given up on things that didn't yield results fast enough for my liking, only to come back later to see it through to the benefits.

I'm certain it's not for everyone, but I think it's a useful tool for both getting past writing blocks and for people seeking a deeper understanding of the whys of their shit. (For me, the whys of people's shit is a very important thing to learn.)

Alexeigynaix

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2016, 08:20:41 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;200231
It's not something I do regularly these days, but it's something I found useful to try for six weeks or so to give it a meaningful try. I found that I went from 'I don't know what to write' to random lists to then large chunks of me writing about specific pieces of things that I was chewing on. (Some of which turned into longer essays, some of which were just 'okay, I'd been thinking about that for a while, clearly'.)

It's also worth noting that the Daily Pages come specifically out of a work focused on breaking through blocks to creativity. I think that's useful broadly defined (in the sense that it might be 'creativity about one's religious and spiritual practice', not just something like writing or art or music.) But on the other hand if 'blocked by one's over-active editing brain' is not a thing you're struggling with, it might not be the ideal tool.

On the other hand, if you're a person who finds poking at possible tools useful, this is a decent one to poke at, at least long enough to see how it settles in for you, because it's a common one people talk about, and it can give you ideas for other approaches that might or might not work for you. I'm glad I tried it, because I've had several times when I could suggest it to someone and say "Not a thing I do regularly, but I pull it out when I do feel stuck." Which I do. It's just a tool for a specific kind of problem I don't have all the time.

Hmmm.

Well, no time like the present to give it another go. And by "the present" I mean "next wake cycle", which because Solstice vigil might be Wednesday morning (after a post-dawn nap) or else Thursday.

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2016, 02:50:28 am »
Bullet journaling seems cool in principle, but I'm not sure how I would make it work for me. Especially if the "handwritten" part is as key as it seems to be. (My handwriting is appalling.) But I do want some sort of system to keep track of what all is going on in my life...

Eh, I've seen plenty of people do bullet journaling digitally, usually in Evernote, One Note or Workflowy. If that seems like it might be helpful, I wouldn't let it stop you.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2016, 06:10:28 pm »

Bullet journaling seems cool in principle, but I'm not sure how I would make it work for me. Especially if the "handwritten" part is as key as it seems to be. (My handwriting is appalling.) But I do want some sort of system to keep track of what all is going on in my life...

I'm the complete opposite -- I do most of my writing longhand, detest typing (having a computerised day job doesn't help), and I have no interest in daily recording or diaries of any type.

On the other hand, I did check out some articles on bullet journaling after seeing this thread, and I'm going to see if some of its concepts can help me organise my (sprawling) world-building projects.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Tags: