Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 08:57:21 am]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:06:51 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Author Topic: Have there ever been global, cross-culture pagan/native prayers events?  (Read 2313 times)

Elding

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
So I've been thinking.

Lately I've followed the happenings over at Standing Rock, where people are protesting against a pipeline that is being built on Native American sacred land. The way the American police, Big Oil companies and government is handling it is hands down appalling and sometimes even illegal, even going so far as arresting journalists who cover the subject, and arresting peaceful protesters despite the right of peaceful protesting being rights afforded by the American constitution.

And, I've noticed... pagan people are talking a lot about this. A lot more than my "environmentally aware" friends. Maybe it's because we identify with the Native Americans more, being of religious/spiritual minorities, or maybe it's just because a lot of us are animistic or environmentally tuned. Whatever the cause, I actually think it brings up a very interesting opportunity - a global, pagan water prayer event. Imagine the sort of media coverage we could get, for Standing Rock or whatever other environmental water issue is happening in your local area, if we all dressed up in our most theatrical historical clothes (I know, I know, but it's media value lol) and held water ceremonies in public parks and plazas where a lot of people pass by, at the same day, at the same time, in a bunch of different countries, with people of a bunch of different faiths. Doesn't have to be about the SR people, but pretty much every pagan faith have some sort of water deity, right? Just imagine what could happen, energetically and in terms of media coverage, if a few hundred pagan groups around the world prayed for clean drinking water and healthy seas in public.

On the other hand, it seem like almost a dream scenario. I know just how difficult we are to mobilize, but I can't quite let go of the idea... hence why I'm asking, has anything like this ever been done in the past? The mobilization of a large part of the pagan/native spiritual movements for a united cause? I never heard of it happening, but imagine if it actually happened..
Out in the woods, and I\'m not alone, but the sun\'s quickly going down!
There! In the trees! Something stalking me! Stop walking around!
\'K, just be cool, don\'t be such a fool! There is nothing at all to fear...
... other than the trees and the night and a beam of light, and the breathing in my ear...
[/I]

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Have there ever been global, cross-culture pagan/native prayers events?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 08:39:37 pm »
Quote from: Elding;198380
I've noticed... pagan people are talking a lot about this. A lot more than my "environmentally aware" friends. Maybe it's because we identify with the Native Americans more, being of religious/spiritual minorities

This reminds me of something interesting I heard in passing about the development of racism, that he color-coding of races became pervasive because of black slavery in America. Before the introduction of slaves, Native Americans were still othered, but on the basis of religion rather than skin color. I have no citation other than that, but it did clear up a question I'd had about why color seemed to become the main defining feature on which to base categorization in Western discourse (when the first thing that strikes me about a lot of white people I've met is how offensively tall they are. My Northeast Asian neighbors are whiter than white people. I've met Indian people as in South Asian Indian people who are whiter than white people.)
I'm asking, has anything like this ever been done in the past?

The closest I could think of to that, was reading something about British covens during WWII that cast a dome of protection against Nazis, which seemed to have worked for a little while on some level? But something as global and inclusive as you're asking...not that I've seen, but this sure seems to be the time for it.
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

Tags: